Jay Leno's Tatra!

R W Burgess

I saw that video last night...very entertaining. Jay has a very high opinion of the Tatra. It certainly is a unique and innovative design.

He put an updated carb on his car that raised the hp from 75 -ish to 85. What I don't quite understand is how a factory version of 4 door 4 seater vehicle with 70 to 75 horsepower could reach speeds of over 100 mph. Given how the cars were driven when commandeered by WW2 troops, however, the Tatra obviously had a reputation for performance. World's first muscle car?

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I saw that video last night...very entertaining. Jay has a very high opinion of the Tatra. It certainly is a unique and innovative design.

He put an updated carb on his car that raised the hp from 75 -ish to 85. What I don't quite understand is how a factory version of 4 door 4 seater vehicle with 70 to 75 horsepower could reach speeds of over 100 mph. Given how the cars were driven when commandeered by WW2 troops, however, the Tatra obviously had a reputation for performance. World's first muscle car?

A 1938 Ford V8 with 85HP would do 85 - 90 MPH. The Tatra, of similar overall size but lower and more streamlined, I can see doing over 100MPH with its similar power output.

From Wikipedia, I get the information that a Tatra T87 cost 25,000 Swiss francs in 1938 which was equal to $5735 US. Or about $5000 more than a Ford. If this is accurate, a Tatra cost as much as a custom built V16 Cadillac or V12 Packard limousine.

Edited by Rusty_OToole
remove emphasis (see edit history)

If I had to draw a comparison I would say the Tatra is like a 1938 Porsche 930. A very fast, very expensive rear engine car that was also known as a widow maker. The 930 appealed to a lot of newly minted tech geek millionaires and show biz and sports personalities with money to burn in the 1970s and 80s and a lot of them got wrecked in the first few weeks. They got in over their head because they did not know how to drive such a car and did not know it could turn on you in an eyeblink if you push it hard.

Racing driver Danny Ongais drove a 930 as regular transportation. A writer for an automotive magazine asked him to describe his technique for fast cornering in his 930 and he replied "I don't take corners fast in a 930".

• Haha 1