Oil filter for a 34 series 40

Hi all. My 34 series 40 has no oil filter, I believe this is how they came out of the factory. Wondering if it is worthwhile to fit one and any suggestions please as to the best type and how to connect it?

My 35-58 has a oil filter that is inside a can mounted on the right side.    I bought the car and  I got  two extra oil filters.   Here is a pix of the right side of my engine.     Maybe this is what the factory installed.   

4046FDE5-E4AD-45E5-B09A-E0EA38D23DEA.jpeg

5E326462-1DCD-4B9F-9B2D-6C10BCCE5A8F.jpeg

Thanks Jim for the pics but  I have a 40 series 233 ci motor. It’s quite different. It has a small oil Line to the front of the head, I guess could put a filter in this but it wouldn’t filter all the oil and I worried it might restrict the oil flow the the rocker assembly.

Ray

A0CA3565-A533-4DBC-BAAB-200FE15C733A.jpeg

Oil filter were optional on many cars into the early 50's.  If you drive less than 2,000 miles a year, just change your oil once a year with a quality multi viscosity oil.  The early Buicks only filtered oil going to the rocker arms and so only a small percentage of the oil was filtered anyway.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

Yup,  mine is the 50 series engine that continued with the design from - I believe '31'.   You havevthe beginning of the 248 engine and mine was of the last of the 'side mounted '  design.      I think you can replace your engine with a 248 if needed.  

Thanks Bob and Jim for your info.

i think I will follow your comments Bob and leave it as is and do annual oil changes. I won’t be doing many miles in her.

Ray

On 8/1/2020 at 3:29 AM, Buick35 said:

My 35 40 series dosent have a filter either.Greg.What type of 34 Buick do you have? Mines a sedan.

Buick35, I think my 34 started life as a Series 40 sedan but at some point had a body makeover Into a 5 window coupe. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find out when or by whom but it’s a unique Buick.

0BC78168-3900-4A3E-9687-EF2F68144589.jpeg

Good looking car,it's looks like somebody did a nice job making it a coupe.I like the outside horns and side mount tire. Windshield wiper on right side,is it a right hand drive?Greg

Edited by Buick35
Add more text (see edit history)

I see you're in Austrailia,that explains it.Last week I went on e-bay looking for a radio for my 35 and somebody from Austrailia was selling a photograph of 1935 Police cars showing off their new wireless radio fleet.They looked like 35 Buicks in the picture so I bought it. From Brisbane I think.I should get it next week.

Hello Ray,

My 233 CI has an after market filter from the 40's.  It is attached to the breather tube.  The oil flows into the engine near the front and top of the head as you can see from the pictures. The older gentleman working for the company that rebuilt the engine had worked on them in the past.  He said there was a small screen at that inlet point and that it should be removed if a filter was added.  I hope the pictures help.IMG_0774.thumb.jpeg.053eabe6389c856355a15262103b4360.jpegIMG_0775.thumb.jpeg.a69796091ff22f2e3d1bc98d6c5f0395.jpegIMG_0775.thumb.jpeg.a69796091ff22f2e3d1bc98d6c5f0395.jpeg