Fossil

Wood spoked wheels. How to straighten?

No , bought more stuff than needed . Mostly at Hershey . As they say when you see get it . I got DeSoto wheels just for drums . There where not scared near as bad as mine . But found new linings where bonded on and it made no difference in braking . So will leave existing on . Also had lots of plans to fix up truck more then have , but health got in way . So with figure enjoying it and keeping it safe is more my goal now . Do small jobs to keep it in service .

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I noticed on mine a reinforced area at one hole of each rim . Looks like a piece of channel stock in there . not sure why mat ride against block in tire rim to prevent slipping . Maybe a option for you to beef up area .  noticed you called the wheel rim fellow . Work with wagons do ya ?

3 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

noticed you called the wheel rim fellow . Work with wagons do ya ?

No I'm just not a very smart fellow. 

3 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

No , bought more stuff than needed . Mostly at Hershey

That's a place I would love to see. Not going to happen anymore though. I've never thought there was anything wrong with having more stuff than you need until recently. Now it seems looking at and tripping over that stuff is not as much fun as it used to be. Especially after cleaning up my folks estate. Don't want to put someone through that after I'm gone. 

• Like 1

Spent this evening working on the wheel. Reassembled it and it's better but still has more runout than I want. Marked the tire and the rim and they are both showing the same spot. Pulled the rim off again and checked the wheel and it is warped. Marked it and checked it against the tire and rim. All marked in the same area. Reassembled and after snugging down the 4 bolts I used a hammer and block of wood to seat the rim to the wheel. Re-tightened the nuts and continued doing this until the nuts stayed tight. Now running a lot truer but still not right. At least I don't think anyone will stop me again and tell me my wheel is falling off. 

• Like 3

If the steel felloe is bent out of shape they can be trued up by clamping them onto a thick steel plate and heating it with a oxy accetelene  torch You will need a proper  heat torch as a cutting tip as not big enough I check there it is not true mark the area clamp it down and heat the area the is out of alignment While it is still red hot clamp the bad area down and let it cool  All you are doing in effect is stress relieving the felloe back to its original shape 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for posting this. Makes good sense and I do have a rose bud for my torch. 

I've got a flat steel welding table that should work good. Wish  I would have thought of laying it on there when it was apart. Something else for this winter.