What to replace a Reatta with?

My wife and I are having a baby soon and I feel the pressing necessity to sell my '90 Reatta. My wife has a '98 Honda Accord, but there will be times in the future where the Reatta won't be adequate for a family. I was wondering what other people have replaced their Reattas with if they had to make such a choice. What gave you the same satisfaction/enjoyment as owning a Reatta? What do you or would you buy if you had to make a "Sophie's Choice"? It's seems superficial, but I feel the car you drive does reflect your personality. I don't want just another car. I want something a little different. Any suggestions? Less than $20K would be realistic. My previous car was a '75 Grand Am. Most people thought it was a Le Mans or Grand Prix. When I'd go into a parts store to buy something, the lackey at the counter checking the parts inventory would usually say that there was no such year for a Grand Am. I got the same silly satisfaction from that like I currently get when somebody asks about the Reatta. "It's a Buick Miata?" Unfortunately, it got too old and too rusty to drive anymore.

P.S. Storing it for future use isn't a realistic option.

While there are lots of neat cars out there, I will limit my comments to GM vehicles. Since you are already familiar with the 3800 engine, any GM car with the 3800 supercharged engine will give you a thrill. The Grand Prix is a good choice. I have owned two supercharged Regals and they are real sleepers.

They think they are a V8 but when driven conceratively, will get super mileage.

This summer from Flagstaff to Albuquerque (at speed limit +) mine averaged 31 mpg. If you need a bigger car there is the Bonneville and Park Avenue Ultra

It is tough to replace the Reatta but there are some fun cars out there.

Hi Grant,

I read your post and and I mistook the bottom line thinking your Reatta

was "too old and too rusty to drive anymore", but you must have been referring to the Grand Am. I have seen your Reatta and it is a very nice car.

Guest Reatta1

I agree with Barney. A supercharged Regal is a good looking car and has plenty of room for the new baby. My regal is a coupe and not supercharged but is still a very quick and nimble vehicle plus gets 30+ on the highway. grin.gif

I agree that the '95 to '99 Riv is great. I just sold my '97 to get a different, newer coupe. Riv has wonderful, luxurious and easy to use interior. Quite reliable. Supercharger is very satisfying, but need not be used if you want good mileage. And highway mileage can be amazing for such a big car. Only complaint was the mushy, undulating ride on less than perfectly graded freeways. If you want to stay with GM, get the Riviera. Mechanically it is essentially identical to current Park Avenue.

However if you want another fun two seater, get a R107 series Mercedes SL. You can find excellent ones of vintage 1972 through 1985 at $15K or less. The 1986 to 1989 560SL will cost more. Good buy is the 1984 or 1985 380SL, but stay away from the 1981 through 1983 380SL - timing chain issues. Earliest cars - '72 & '73 350SL are good running cars without too much emissions equipment and without big bumpers. Unlike Reatta, parts are easily available (but expensive) for all these cars. Fuel mileage is generally not good and not as good as either Reatta or Riviera. Reliability and durability are much better than Reatta.