Fall Hershey Swap Meet at Fall Carlisle?

johnltrotter

With the Fall Hershey Swap Meet cancelled, I'm wondering how many Hershey Meet vendors will be selling at the Fall Carlisle?  Hershey has been a yearly trek for me for many years now and has been a source of networking with fellow gearheads interested in pre-War autos.  Fall Carlisle is held the week prior to when Hershey used to be held.  I've not been to Fall Carlisle, but the "old timers" used to tell me that Fall Carlisle is mostly a post-war venue.   I'm now in the "old timer" club and wondering what fellow AACA folks can tell me about the typical Fall Carlisle meet...  Also, if you are typically a Fall Hershey vendor, do you plan to sell your wares at Fall Carlisle this year?

I attended the Carlisle Spring flea market some years ago for about 2 years in a row, spoke to my relatives at the time who set up there at both Spring and Fall events , as well as Hershey.  Carlisle is a postwar car parts venue. It was started as such because AACA had a cut off date for "newer" ( at the time Carlisle was started) stuff. If you are into "old" ( ie pre WWII era) it is Hershey. I am not knocking Carlisle in any way. Good event but Hershey is the place "well seasoned" items - and sellers ! - are . I hope to see all at Hershey in 2021 , its a long long time away but , it is what it is.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I attended the Carlisle Spring flea market some years ago for about 2 years in a row, spoke to my relatives at the time who set up there at both Spring and Fall events , as well as Hershey.  Carlisle is a postwar car parts venue. It was started as such because AACA had a cut off date for "newer" ( at the time Carlisle was started) stuff. If you are into "old" ( ie pre WWII era) it is Hershey. I am not knocking Carlisle in any way. Good event but Hershey is the place "well seasoned" items - and sellers ! - are . I hope to see all at Hershey in 2021 , its a long long time away but , it is what it is.

Thanks Walt - yes, will definitely be at Fall Hershey in 2021, but will likely try Carlisle this year and hopeful there are some pre-war Packard vendors there.  Is there a policy at Fall Carlisle to only allow post war items?  

I have attended both events for over 25 years. It is true that Carlisle began as a “post war” alternative to Hershey after the Chip and Bill Miller were asked to remove Chip’s ‘53 Corvette from the 1973 Hershey Swap Meet Field.

Over the years, Fall Carlisle has gone thru many changes. Most recently, the volume of AACA- approved parts has increased as the years have rolled by. In fact, it seems Carlisle has become a staging area for Hershey.

For those who haven’t been there for a decade or so, the non-automotive vendors have largely been removed. The facility is probably the best in the Country and from a vendor’s perspective it’s superior to Hershey.

With our treasured Green Field spaces idled this year, we have already reserved 4 prime spaces within the flat Infield area at Carlisle. We have attended 3 events already at Carlisle this year and are comfortable with the sanitation and social distancing measures that are in place. 

If the virus does not change for the worse, I think the Fall Carlisle Swap Meet will be well attended as a proxy for Hershey. 

Don’t delay, the prime spaces are going first!

Next year, we will do BOTH!

• Like 1

Thanks greenie - getting excited now.  The cancellation of Fall Hershey was a HUGE disappointment and I usually don't hang around for the car show, so Hershey is a total wash out this year.  Regarding the virus, I'm still confused why there isn't a push to get as many healthy members of the "herd" exposed to it, so they can get it, know to isolate, and be done with it - and most importantly no longer be a threat to be passing it around.  We are a week or so beyond the "15 days to flatten the curve" that was being pushed back in February; I guess it is all political. 

Anyhow, I'll be in Carlisle for the show - might find goodies for my old Tbird, if nothing else.

Thanks for the reply - John

• 4 weeks later...

The last time I checked, there were only about 50 spaces left available in the infield area. Of course, the north field spaces will go last; and some may not be used. All of the Carlisle events have gone off without a hitch; and with Covid numbers in the region being static or in decline; Fall Carlisle is shaping up to be the best event of the year. The best thing is you get a week to rest up before the Hershey car show!

On 7/29/2020 at 4:01 PM, johnltrotter said:

Thanks greenie - getting excited now.  The cancellation of Fall Hershey was a HUGE disappointment and I usually don't hang around for the car show, so Hershey is a total wash out this year.  Regarding the virus, I'm still confused why there isn't a push to get as many healthy members of the "herd" exposed to it, so they can get it, know to isolate, and be done with it - and most importantly no longer be a threat to be passing it around.  We are a week or so beyond the "15 days to flatten the curve" that was being pushed back in February; I guess it is all political. 

Anyhow, I'll be in Carlisle for the show - might find goodies for my old Tbird, if nothing else.

Thanks for the reply - John

An awful lot of those "members of the herd" as you call them realize that an awful lot of infected older people like us who got it are dead now.  Oh, a lot get over it too, but dead is a very final result for many more.  It's like playing the odds.  If you lose it's final.  Me?  I have never been much of a gambler.  Anybody who wants to come here and buy a whole bunch of Buick parts to take to Carlisle, be my guest.

• Like 1

Dynaflash8 - at the risk of being redundant, I again mention "as many HEALTHY members of the herd.  Yes, we all know the demographics of the folks most at risk and obviously it doesn't make sense for those people to intentionally be exposed.  However, as a healthy person I would like to get this virus, self quarantine for two weeks and have the anti-bodies so that the chances of me getting it in the months or years ahead and infecting my 80 year old mother are slim to none.  With our current approach of the young/healthy intentionally avoiding infection, we will never reach herd immunity.   Those infected early may possibly become possible carriers as the anti virus may only last a year or so.   In a normal (unmasked) population the virus would run its course quickly.  With this current route, we are trying to coax this virus along by slowly supplying a small population of hosts, rather than sheltering the most at risk and discouraging social distancing/masks for the young/healthy.  I've never been much of a Buick man, but aren't you playing the odds asking if someone wants to come purchase a whole bunch of your Buick parts?

Edited by johnltrotter (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/22/2020 at 7:44 AM, johnltrotter said:

Dynaflash8 - at the risk of being redundant, I again mention "as many HEALTHY members of the herd.  Yes, we all know the demographics of the folks most at risk and obviously it doesn't make sense for those people to intentionally be exposed.  However, as a healthy person I would like to get this virus, self quarantine for two weeks and have the anti-bodies so that the chances of me getting it in the months or years ahead and infecting my 80 year old mother are slim to none.  With our current approach of the young/healthy intentionally avoiding infection, we will never reach herd immunity.   Those infected early may possibly become possible carriers as the anti virus may only last a year or so.   In a normal (unmasked) population the virus would run its course quickly.  With this current route, we are trying to coax this virus along by slowly supplying a small population of hosts, rather than sheltering the most at risk and discouraging social distancing/masks for the young/healthy.  I've never been much of a Buick man, but aren't you playing the odds asking if someone wants to come purchase a whole bunch of your Buick parts?

Having raised herd animals for many years, the technique used when a virus entered the group was not much different. Remove the sick to a clean, disinfected barn or area, allow the remainder of the herd to stay in place. When others caught it, move them into the quarantined herd. Eventually the main herd becomes immune. Might get some runny noses on some but others don’t even show symptoms. We did not do this with this virus and the logic used is only prolonging the effects way beyond what it should be. My daughter is a Vet and is used to dealing with animal viruses. She also believes the whole thing was handled wrong by the experts. I believe Denmark, who didn’t shut down ,is now claiming herd immunity of over 40% of the population. Yes, their death rate per capita is high and that’s because the elderly did not take their own precautions early enough. Humans are animals and so is the virus an animal virus . Why we didn’t handle this virus like we commonly handle viruses among animals can only go to our opinions and own basic knowledge of treatment among animals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Essentially....

With Hershey cancelled, Fall Carlisle has the chance to be extra strong this year....

Hershey vendors have been calling to get spots at Fall Carlisle for the last couple of months.... So it should be full to the hilt !!!

Wednesday, Sept. 30th through Saturday , Oct. 3rd --- Four full days of finding what you need and want....

Make sure to stop by spots I L 78 - 80... Middle of the Infield ( I ),

Row L, spots 78 - 80 for a nice juicy spread of New and N.O.S. parts from the 1930 s to the 1970 s......

Yours, Craig.... Mobile Parts.....

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine

OFFICIAL NOTICE REGARDING THE HERSHEY CAR SHOW AND NEW SPECIAL FALL MEET FROM THE AACA NATIONAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS 

There is an old saying about the “best laid plans…” and we had a great plan for the Hershey car show this year.  We worked with all parties and had an agreement on a COVID-19 solution for our show.  We ordered trophies and the Hershey Region ordered judges hats and dash plaques.  We were excited to work together with the Region to make this a great show. Unfortunately, in the last few days we were given a new set of regulations to follow which would have drastically affected the quality of the event in a negative way. As much as we wanted to have the show at the traditional location and be able to show-off the outside of the new AACA headquarters...

...We must cancel the traditional Eastern Division Fall Meet car show (Hershey) on October 9-10.  

We owe it to you to get this right and apologize to all who now must make changes to your schedule, cancel rooms, and most importantly miss being in Chocolate Town, USA. We are however committed to providing our members with a safe, enjoyable, and sensible event this fall. 

We have proven that in a short time and with your cooperation we can pull off a show in another location.  Our 2020 Grand Nationals in Gettysburg was a huge hit and done safely with the complete cooperation of our members.  

We are proud to announce we will host a Special Fall Nationals on November 6-7 at the Wyndham Hotel complex in Gettysburg, PA.  

Everything is onsite, trailer parking, host hotel along with a Marriott Courtyard next door and judging school.  Gettysburg is a great place to find activities in a historic location that offers so much to see.  The potential for cancelation is extremely remote.  We have a well thought out and proven plan. Yes, masks and temperature taking just as we had planned for Hershey will be a requirement. 

Your previous checks will be shredded so please do not worry about them being cashed.  We will be sending a registration for Gettysburg.  Please fill it out and send it in right away.  The Host Hotel is the Wyndham 717-339-0020 and the Marriott Courtyard next door is 717-334-5600.  There is a restaurant on the grounds as well.  We even have overflow trailer parking if needed directly across the street.  Average weather at that time of the year is typical fall.  It will be a great show! 

Judges, you will get a judge’s hat from Hershey as a bonus so please join us.  We need you!

With only three shows this year it may be a great chance for your show car to win a national award as well.  So please join us, it WILL be a great event!!
AACA Board of Directors