Looking for a Continental Engine Model C

Moon Guy

Tried to post a reply to your PM, but either system or my set  acting up, don't know if it went thru...

If not, contact me by email  (click on my name on post, email will come up)...

That C has a tangled history; just ran across a 1912  piece where Cont'ls listing the C as both the 4s and now two 6s as well

My only source that lists Moon 1910-11 etc ( a 1917 ring catalog) doesn't list the C, but a larger D, but old parts catalogs are never complete, and if Cont'l had an emergency order from Moon they probably sent whatever was available that could fit in...

Another oddity: the two sections for the two fours list almost all trucks for both, with only a few cars, which does sound like "..they're hurting for engines, what's in the warehouse?..."...

• 3 years later...
On 7/29/2020 at 5:16 PM, Bud Tierney said:

Tried to post a reply to your PM, but either system or my set  acting up, don't know if it went thru...

If not, contact me by email  (click on my name on post, email will come up)...

That C has a tangled history; just ran across a 1912  piece where Cont'ls listing the C as both the 4s and now two 6s as well

My only source that lists Moon 1910-11 etc ( a 1917 ring catalog) doesn't list the C, but a larger D, but old parts catalogs are never complete, and if Cont'l had an emergency order from Moon they probably sent whatever was available that could fit in...

Another oddity: the two sections for the two fours list almost all trucks for both, with only a few cars, which does sound like "..they're hurting for engines, what's in the warehouse?..."...

Hi Bud,

I am from New Zealand and mid restoration of a 1912 Hudson 33 Roadster and you look to be the man to ask in this forum for some help with tracking down some information on where I might be able to find a 1912 33 hp Continental four Cylinder engine?

I believe it was made by Buda.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mathew 

IMG_0387.jpeg

In the three year interim I've  sold off my pre WWI stuff but do have scribbled notes original  Model 20 had Budas, but no mention whether off-the-shelf engine, designed by Buda to Hudson specs or designed in-house and just built by Buda.

Also say1911 Model 33 engine, presumably state of the art at the time,  designed in-house and just manufactured by Continental.

Assume you member HET club; otherwise only suggestions are  checking with UK source--Hudson had later presence in UK but no info on earlier.

Also could move inquiry to either Hudson or Continental Motors forums below for wider exposure (or notes therein to see your post in Parts Wanted if allowed).

You might ask the Club if they have any info on possibility Cont'l  may've sold the Hudson engine for other than cars/trucks (Ind'l, road const, Ag,  etc)) either during Hudson use or  after Hudson went to 6, under some Comt'l  model #_

AAAH- found  my Hudson=Railton book.., says exhibited iew 40 HP sux at "Olympia Show" 1913, so good chance exporting earlier.

Edited by Bud Tierney
Addition (see edit history)

Hi Bud,

Thank you very much for your time in replying and the suggestions you make are logical and I just recently found out that in the 1915 Dykes Encyclopedia it does show that Continental did make for other manufacturers so I will now look for the 1912 Dykes and see if I can find any other truck or car companies they supplied the engines too.

Would you know of any pre war truck forums or clubs I could look to contact by any chance?

Kind regards,

Mathew