Old newspaper ad

26 minutes ago, Mudbone said:

A friend found this old newspaper ad from 1958. Where is the DeLorean? I want to go back to 1958 and buy the 54!

Used cars018.jpg

A better buy would be the Eldorado or MarkII  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

Wow, the 54 Cadillac sure held value over the 54 Buick!

That's not exactly correct.  The Buick was a Special, the entry level car.  The Caddy is an Eldorado, the top line vehicle.  But I suspect that the Caddy would still be higher priced than a 54 Roadmaster similarly equipped.   At the time the Caddy was marketed as  the premium motor vehicle,  so one would expect a higher asking price. 

• Thanks 1

According to the 'net the base price of the 54 Buick was about $2300 when new.  Used car price of the exact same car will vary due to mileage, wear and tear inside and out.  The 57 Ford is new and apparently unwanted at any price.

• Haha 2

When I looked at the ad I passed right over the 54 Caddy.  So just for fun here are the values looking at the Hagerty Classic car values:

The Special: Model 46R  ( 2 dr hardtop) would come in at $19,000

The 54 Caddy model 62 would be pegged for 26,600

The 56 Eldorado assuming it is a Barittz comes in at 103,000

The 56 Continental crosses the wire at 51,500

And the lonely 57  Ford finishes at 18K assuming it is a base model Fairlane 500.

Of course, if anyone could go back in time, then probably everyone could go back in time and none of these cars would be worth anything! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

And the lonely 57  Ford finishes at 18K assuming it is a base model Fairlane 500.

Probably less if it was like the one an Uncle had: 2dr Custom with 272 V8 overdrive, radio and heater delete, all white, blackwalls, poverty caps.  I shamelessly whipped up on my cousin with my 55 Special.:o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Probably less if it was like the one an Uncle had: 2dr Custom with 272 V8 overdrive, radio and heater delete, all white, blackwalls, poverty caps.  I shamelessly whipped up on my cousin with my 55 Special.:o

was your 55 a stick shift Willie?   The Ford would have been a stick shift, right?

9 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

was your 55 a stick shift Willie?   The Ford would have been a stick shift, right?

Nope, dynaflow, used low and shifted at 60.  Never ahead of the Buick and lost ground at every shift (3 speed stick).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1