65 brake booster source?

71GS

Bendix Booster is bad, figure I will replace the cylinder too with a 67, dual pot version for safety. I’ve searched extensively on here and see where folks talk about these being discontinued a while back. I’m also striking  out at Napa, rock auto etc. 

I checked booster Dewey’s website and states 6 weeks out for a rebuild. 

My first question is, can I use either a 65 or 67 booster as long as I match with the correct (delco/or bendix) style master cylinder?

From what I have found online they look like 2 different part #’s. No one seems to have in stock. 

Anyone been through this recently?

Does anyone one know of a source where I can get one ordered ASAP.?

ANY advice is appreciated 

Thanks 

Brian

Jim, 

I know that I'm kind of highjacking this thread but it's relevant to a PM that I just received so maybe the guy that PMd me will read it.  To match the 67 drum/drum master cylinder to a 63  OEM booster, do you need to purchase the Bendix or the Delco/Morraine master cylinder?

Thanks, Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

rockauto has '65 booster reman. that you can pair with '67 dual MC.

Jim,  I have looked on there no less than 3 times and had only seen the reman service where you send yours in listed. Everything else out of stock. Must be going blind as they do show one. “ Quality built B 1339 “  

It doesn’t say delco moraine or bendix type so I shot them an email. IF the picture is accurate, It does look like th pushrod sticks out pretty far, I’d think that’s the bendix. Thanks for the help. 

Brian. 

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

Jim, 

I know that I'm kind of highjacking this thread but it's relevant to a PM that I just received so maybe the guy that PMd me will read it.  To match the 67 drum/drum master cylinder to a 63  OEM booster, do you need to purchase the Bendix or the Delco/Morraine master cylinder?

Thanks, Ed

Ed, the short answer is "I'm not sure".

I know I ordered one of them and the indentation in the piston was the wrong depth. One is about 1/4" deep, the other is about 1" deep hole. So I sent it back and got the other.

You need to take the '63 MC off and look at the piston hole depth you have now; it's either deep or shallow.  Then you get a '67 MC (pick one, say "Bendix") and look at the hole depth.  50-50 chance of getting the one that matches what's on the car now. If you get the wrong one, exchange it for the other.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, first64riv said:

I ordered a dual master but have not installed it yet.  I ordered AC Delco part number 18M1025 from Amazon.  I believe it is the short piston version.

Do a web search for that part number or get it off Amazon.

Chris

Yes, Chris, the Delco MC looks like the one with the shallow hole.  Then the Bendix MC would have the deep hole in the piston.

So if you take your MC off and look at the existing hole depth, you can buy the correct later dual-MC to replace it.

Thanks for helping with this.

• Like 1

I have a '64 Riv. ORIGINAL P/B booster I removed recently that was rebuilt less than a year ago along with a NEW DUAL M/C that was replaced with the booster so I KNOW they match as they were on the car for a year & WORKED.

Customer changed over to disc brakes.

$250.00 + shipping.

Tom T.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Yes, Chris, the Delco MC looks like the one with the shallow hole.  Then the Bendix MC would have the deep hole in the piston.

So if you take your MC off and look at the existing hole depth, you can buy the correct later dual-MC to replace it.

I found the box that the dual reservoir master cylinder came in that I put on my 64.  It was a Bendix 11328.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

If I follow what you're saying, Jim, I'll be having a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment in the near future.

2 hours ago, first64riv said:

If I follow what you're saying, Jim, I'll be having a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment in the near future.

Well... like I said in an earlier post, you kind of have a 50-50 chance with it.  Look at the depth of the hole in the new MC and compare to the depth of the hole in what is on there now.  It is either a match or they will be vastly different.  Proceed accordingly.

If you ended up with the wrong one by mistake, you can probably find someone that needs that hole depth on their car and they will buy it from you.

After finding that box last night, I think that I have a definitive answer.  The boosters for 1964 are the same.  There are two different boosters for 1967, Bendix and Delco/Morraine. You want to get the 1967 Bendix Master Cylinder to fit on you 1964 booster. When I did this I talked to Booster Dewey and he said the the seals for the 1964 would work straight across.  If it were a 1963, it would have required a new different seal.  I did not ask about a 1965.

At the time that I did this, Booster Dewey was not technically into the 21st Century so he asked me to snail mail actual photographs of what I had to him. I did that and he replied similarly very quickly.  Whether or not he is into email, texting, etc. yet, it should not matter. The guys knows what he is talking about, so if you have a question give him a call.  I did not buy anything from him at the time but he was more than willing to help me.

• Like 1

Tom T, thanks, that’s a good deal but my master arrived today and the booster is due tomorrow. I may send my original booster off sometime to Dewey. Definitely not sending it to rock auto for the core charge. 😉

Ed, good info also. Pretty positive 65’s had both bendix and moraine available. 

FYI, on rock auto. They did reply to my email, but stated all the info they have on any part is what is listed online. So they didn’t confirm if the booster they sell is moraine or bendix type. It looked like it had the long pushrod so I bought a bendix/ deep hole MC. I guess we will find out tomorrow. 

Thank you all

Brian

On 7/30/2020 at 11:12 PM, JanZverina said:

Try this shop and forget Rock Auto rebuilds and all that cheap crap. They actually know what they're doing and will guide you through the process if you need any advice. They really came through for me.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

I agree but they were 6 weeks out, summers going fast.

Rock auto was the only place that I could actually find one available ( thanks to Jim) 

I'm definitely keeping my original to send to Dewey sometime 

Well, FYI. the rockauto “quality built B1339” doesn’t even fit the car. The spread on the mount studs is 1/4 too wide to go thru the firewall. Nice 👍 oh and the MC studs were kinda wonky too. One was bent upward and one downward. Real “quality” product. Lol

Junk is boxed up and ready to go back. 🤬

Tom T, I sent ya a dm about the one you have. 

Brian

Brian,

I just bought a '65 and this is what the previous owner installed in it. If you like, I can ask him how the install went.

I, too have tried calling Rock Auto and they are no help whatsoever!

https://www.opgi.com/brake-systems/drum-brakes/1963-69-riviera-power-brake-booster-master-cylinder-conversion/booster-master-combo-63-69-riviera-drum-9-br03201.html

Jim

booster.jpg

I think we're trying to make this too hard.  Go to the Tech Tips section on the ROA website and read about the conversion.  It's simple.  Bolt a 67 drum/drum master cylinder to your existing booster.  Then follow the directions for plumbing it.  Tom M. has an even easier plumbing solution.  Search for it.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think we're trying to make this too hard.  Go to the Tech Tips section on the ROA website and read about the conversion.  It's simple.  Bolt a 67 drum/drum master cylinder to your existing booster.  Then follow the directions for plumbing it.  Tom M. has an even easier plumbing solution.  Search for it.

The initial question was where to find a replacement booster. My existing booster is bad. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, JJ62 said:

Brian,

I just bought a '65 and this is what the previous owner installed in it. If you like, I can ask him how the install went.

I, too have tried calling Rock Auto and they are no help whatsoever!

https://www.opgi.com/brake-systems/drum-brakes/1963-69-riviera-power-brake-booster-master-cylinder-conversion/booster-master-combo-63-69-riviera-drum-9-br03201.html

Jim

booster.jpg

Thanks Jim, that’s the one I asked about in the second post up top. Performance online, Installation is straight forward enough, how do you like it? Work well?

25 minutes ago, 71GS said:

The initial question was where to find a replacement booster. My existing booster is bad. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have you contacted any of the vendors who specialize in good used parts?  Gene, Larry, Bob, Steve are the ones that come to mind; I've bought from each of these and never been disappointed. One would probably have a rebuildable core if nothing more. Did Booster Dewey or some other rebuilder tell you that yours couldn't be rebuilt?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 71GS said:

Thanks Jim, that’s the one I asked about in the second post up top. Performance online, Installation is straight forward enough, how do you like it? Work well?

Brian,

I've only driven it for the 3 hour trip home, but it seemed to work well.

Jim

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, RivNut said:

Have you contacted any of the vendors who specialize in good used parts?  Gene, Larry, Bob, Steve are the ones that come to mind; I've bought from each of these and never been disappointed. One would probably have a rebuildable core if nothing more. Did Booster Dewey or some other rebuilder tell you that yours couldn't be rebuilt?

Hey Ed, yeah I bought the one tom t had. I will send my original  to Dewey at some point. I was just trying to get it back on the road ASAP. Should have it back together this weekend. Thanks.