1930 Packard 745 2-4 passenger coupe

4 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Title MISSING!

That CL issue was just explained in another thread.  CL forces you to pick from just 2? choices of
"title status" when you list a car.  It does not mean the car has no legal paperwork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Cord is a tad more liquid.

Those liquid Cord will get you every time 😄

On a more serious note; those almost done cars seem the hardest to move. The seller is looking at just below top dollar, and all the time & effort he put in. The buyer still sees stuff that seems fairly easy but takes way more time than anyone thinks. If this car had no top the price would be right.

Edited by bdc (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Not a Packard guy, but isn’t a 745 coupe very rare as compared to a 740 coupe.  I understood that a 745 roadster carried a significant premium over a 740 roadster.  And I assume the same for coupes.  

I'm not a Packard guy either, but I believe you are correct.   The 745/845 chassis was for the big boys and custom bodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I'm not a Packard guy either, but I believe you are correct.   The 745/845 chassis was for the big boys and custom bodies.

Indeed they were.  In the Kimes-edited Packard history, the 745 was created by mounting the engine five inches rearward, adding a fan shroud for cooling, lengthening the front edge of the hood five inches including the hallmark 'barb' and the long, sweeping front fenders.   For custom coachbuilders that needed more firewall to rear axle space, they built the 745C which has the long sweeping fenders but engine mounted as the 740 and the 740 hood length.  Reason for the 745? Impressive proportions and elan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's only 145.5 inch wheelbase.......ON A 2 PASSENGER COUPE!!!!

I'd love to add this to the stable, but I'm just a "0" short on the price. 😄

If this car wouldn't have side mounts it would look even 2 foot longer than it is already.

Edited by bdc (see edit history)

2 hours ago, bdc said:

If this car wouldn't have side mounts it would look even 2 foot longer than it is already.

There is a '30 745 roadster without side mounts and two rear-mounted spares.   I encountered it in the old Hershey Greenfield about twenty-five years ago, stunning proportions. 

What a gorgeous rendering!  This 745 coupe would be a case where finishing it to match the colors in the rendering would be desirable. 

Heresy to suggest, but the top height on the rendering looks like that of the '30 734 Speedster sedan or five passenger coupe...

'30 Packard 745 2-4 passenger coupe rendering.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
'30 734 Speedster top height. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

There is a '30 745 roadster without side mounts and two rear-mounted spares.   I encountered it in the old Hershey Greenfield about twenty-five years ago, stunning proportions. 

Got pictures? 

This one made an impression on me when it was freshly restored about 15-20 years ago.  Was owned by a gentleman from the Chicago area.  There was a write up about it in the ccca magazine.  That is when I started appreciating the difference between the 140 vs 145 inch wheel base especially on a two door model. 

61712AD2-3A3E-4D35-935F-963D244F0723.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, alsancle said:

Ok Randy, you made me laugh.

I like that Packard a lot but I think your Cord is a tad more liquid.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:13 PM, auburnseeker said:

I like it and it's even not too far away.  Wonder if he wants a Cord trade that runs just as good? 

Had to think about that one for a slit second :) 

Nice car !  The 645, 745. and 845 cars are rare to begin with, much less a Coupe (doubt there are 5 across the 3 years).  

Advantage:  Packard's finest product, plus great body style, great color choices, great tire choice, and ...

Disadvantage:  Better have all the parts as it is a pretty unique to series car. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

While I like it,  for some reason proportioning just seems off to me for flow.  It's kind of like Dolly Parton wearing a top hat.  

Now I still wouldn't kick it to the curb but just seems like the designer got something off a little.  

I had a '28 Packard 443 coupe, and while the rear deck area seems off kilter in pictures, in person it's not bad...it's just such a HUGE car for two people....I regret selling it, it was a super solid car with a great chassis and engine.  Fellow who bought it took body off and put a roadster body on that chassis.  The body then went on a worn out sedan chassis.  Last I heard, I talked to the fellow a couple of years ago who has the body only, I think, sitting in the corner of his garage.

While it it was a great car, I bought it from the late Art Burichter (sp?) in Florida, bought sight unseen and he totally misrepresented condition of car, but wouldn't even talk about a return or adjustment.  Those were such fun times...this was the 1980's....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

While I like it,  for some reason proportioning just seems off to me for flow.  It's kind of like Dolly Parton wearing a top hat.  

Now I still wouldn't kick it to the curb but just seems like the designer got something off a little.  

For better proportions, the top would be the lower height of those on the '30 734 Speedster sedan and five passenger coupe.   Because Packard was clever in its chassis apportioning, the firewall-to-rear-axle distance was the same for 133", 140" and 145" wheelbase models so they were able to share standard body styles across the lines. 

I would be surprised if they got half of what they are asking.   Don’t think many people will value it too much more than a 740 coupe.  This 840 sold twice this year (at Bonhams in January and this month at Mecum in Indianapolis) for $59k.  

BDDE8110-0B84-403E-8445-4CE5EDB4D824.jpeg

12 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

I would be surprised if they got half of what they are asking.   Don’t think many people will value it too much more than a 740 coupe.  This 840 sold twice this year (at Bonhams in January and this month at Mecum in Indianapolis) for $59k.  

BDDE8110-0B84-403E-8445-4CE5EDB4D824.jpeg

Agree as to your pricing discussion, but not for same reason - a 645, 745, and 845 really is a different world that a 640, 740, and 840, but also a World few people experience as the cars are so much more rare - thus, perhaps a lot of people will lump the cars together for comparison, but after spending time with them there really is a separation.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 7/28/2020 at 5:16 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

What a gorgeous rendering!  This 745 coupe would be a case where finishing it to match the colors in the rendering would be desirable. 

Heresy to suggest, but the top height on the rendering looks like that of the '30 734 Speedster sedan or five passenger coupe...

'30 Packard 745 2-4 passenger coupe rendering.jpg

Not that I endorse such a thing, but what if you just sectioned out an an inch or an inch and a half of the roof of this coupe? Don't tell anybody, just trim it a little. Better looks and unless another one shows up, nobody will ever know for sure.

Blasphemy?

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Not that I endorse such a thing, but what if you just sectioned out an an inch or an inch and a half of the roof of this coupe? Don't tell anybody, just trim it a little. Better looks and unless another one shows up, nobody will ever know for sure.

Blasphemy?

To the purist, yes,   But, to those who know that Packard sold lower-roof height sedans and five passenger coupes in the 1930 734 Speedster series, such a restoration that matched the top height on those desirable Speedsters would be acceptable for aesthetic reasons.   No brickbats, please. Just this man's outlook...

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Blasphemy?

Where is Xander when you need him?

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

To the purist, yes,   But, to those who know that Packard sold lower-roof height sedans and five passenger coupes in the 1930 734 Speedster series, such a restoration that matched the top height on those desirable Speedsters would be acceptable for aesthetic reasons.   No brickbats, please. Just this man's outlook...

I think you would need to match the speedster height and it would be a wash as far as devaluing the car.   Shame Packard didn't do it own their own.

• Like 1

The color(s) the car is painted - that includes the wheels, and if it has black wall or white wall tires, metal tire covers painted to match body color etc all can make this car look 100% different. I make that statement from looking at period color samples ( I have a collection of over 500+ pre war color samples that are about 5 x 3 inches) plus having taught art for 40 plus years I would say that the car would loose a lot of visual height if painted more conservative colors. pre WWII era vehicles painted in 1970s era brighter colors just don't work. If you own a 1920s English tudor style house and paint the stucco yellow and the wood trim fire engine red do not criticize the styling of the house , if painted proper colors it would look elegant - the same goes for cars. IMHO.

I have two friends that visited with  me at Hershey last October that have large early 1930s classic cars and came to my flea market spaces to talk about colors. They are having their cars restored and it is time to make a color(s) choice .. It is not easy to imagine what a car looks like "done" if you haven't studied color or aren't familiar with what worked well during the period when  the car was designed and  built.

In my collection of auto artifacts I have a sample kit that has 5 or 6 plastic transparencies that show an individual body style on each one. plus color chips that were designed to fit behind them in a frame to give you a accurate image of what the car would look like when painted. This dates from about 1929-30.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like the car and would love it in the brochure colors. In the right colors, I believe the car could be stunning.    While too tall for some, I like it for was it is.  Compare it to production  Coupes until 34 (i.e., 31-33) which had a similar same look/height.  Compare it to  this 33 v12 coupe.  

B790BBFF-6D25-45F7-8DE4-74F9DEDBEC34.jpeg

B92003A1-2B79-4099-BFEB-CAF6DE6382D8.jpeg