‘53 Skylark *not mine* price reduced

retirednow

I love the '53 Skylark. I'm flat-out astounded by how much they've fallen in value, or rather, how quickly they've gone back to not being valuable. This was the right price for many years, then in the early 2000s they spiked up to $200, 300, 400,000 almost overnight. Now they've drifted back down to a reasonable level. I'm suddenly looking forward to having one someday.

• Like 1

A guy has been trying to find something to swap me for my Cord (not sure how that will work out to his advantage since he has to buy that first) but this I would consider and it's similar money.  The wife even thought it didn't look like too much of an old man sedan like she calls my other cars. 

The paint may not be as good as it looks in most of the photos judging by the one with the plate off on the back (almost looks like they painted the car with the license plate on it)  but for the price, you could drive it and not worry about stone chips and wear.  Does anyone know if that's an original color?  Seems to have alot of metallic in it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Does anyone know if that's an original color?  Seems to have alot of metallic in it. 

Take a look at the lower firewall.  Is that lower area still factory hue?  

...and mentioned earlier, what IS going on where the rear plate was?  Seems impossible that if it was an all surface rusty car and they did not bother to do that spot? ...  Can't be, so ask for a close up pic? 

I don't know these cars but I see some random drilled holes along the body above rear bumper. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 2:13 PM, auburnseeker said:

. . . I doubt you see too many in that color either. 

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

. . . almost looks like they painted the car with the license plate on it . . . Does anyone know if that's an original color?  

1 hour ago, F&J said:

. . . Take a look at the lower firewall.  Is that lower area still factory hue? . . . I don't know these cars but I see some random drilled holes along the body above rear bumper. 

I love these kinds of posts.

1.  The reason why you don't see many 1953 Skylarks in that color is because it was not a standard color choice offered by Buick in 1953. It's not REEF BLUE as advertised. The top of the cowl is the OEM and TRM hue. 

2.  The license plate was never installed on the trunk lid. The OEM location is below the chromed horizontal-cross bar between the two rear bumper guards.

3.  The questionable area on the trunk lid used to have the striker plate for a continental kit wheel carrier that was removed.

4.  That style of continental kit required ± 20 holes total to be drilled into the lower rear fenders, the panel below the trunk lid and the trunk lid itself.

5.  Note the "matching" Michigan license plate laying in the trunk in the for-sale ad.

6.  This 'Lark was formerly owned by a well-known member in Michigan and was advertised for-sale not that long ago.

7.  Can you spell F-L-I-P  I-T?

109193151_1-DonMaytonsLark(2).jpg.eeedcd8bc769ce37db5c1233fa00eb46.jpg

1-Scan-037.jpg.132337a97efc73bf9d8b51b4db5caa20.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

I love these kinds of posts.

1.  The reason why you don't see many 1953 Skylarks in that color is because it was not a standard color choice offered by Buick in 1953. It's not REEF BLUE as advertised. The top of the cowl is the OEM and TRM hue. 

2.  The license plate was never installed on the trunk lid. The OEM location is below the chromed horizontal-cross bar between the two rear bumper guards.

3.  The questionable area on the trunk lid used to have the striker plate for a continental kit wheel carrier that was removed.

4.  That style of continental kit required ± 20 holes total to be drilled into the lower rear fenders, the panel below the trunk lid and the trunk lid itself.

5.  Note the "matching" Michigan license plate laying in the trunk in the for-sale ad.

6.  This 'Lark was formerly owned by a well-known member in Michigan and was advertised for-sale not that long ago.

7.  Can you spell F-L-I-P  I-T?

109193151_1-DonMaytonsLark(2).jpg.eeedcd8bc769ce37db5c1233fa00eb46.jpg

1-Scan-037.jpg.132337a97efc73bf9d8b51b4db5caa20.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

GOOD catch on the cont kit Al

There are 4  53 Skylarks on ebay  , yellow , 2 whites cars with cont kit and this blue car .

The pan between the bumper and body is different on the white cars . I remember  one of my 53 Skylarks 

had the flat pan like the white cars on Ebay .

Bill

Al's explanation relieves some of the worries I would have about this car. I think the seller needs to explain the removal of a continental kit is the reason the holes etc in the rear end and you would think it would be snapped up at around the asking price.