73 Rivera ignition switch not cranking the car

73Rivera

So I have a new ignition switch and I'm trying to crank the engine to get it to show signs of life before I move forward. It won't do it from the column so I'm wondering how can I just jump it from the engine bay? I know on my mustang I can do it with the starter solenoid but I can't seem to find one on the Riviera. Any help would be great.

Try moving the shifter around. Try putting the shifter in neutral. The neutral safety switch may be out of alignment.

I do not recommend you crank the engine from inside the engine compartment.

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter. The Ford solenoid is one of the things that make the Fords sooo easy to steal.  IF you know what your doing & looking for you can "Jump" the solenoid with a small screwdriver or a jumper wire between the big stud where the battery cable connects & the "S:" on the solenoid.

Make sure the key is OFF!!! IF nothing else it will test the operation of the starter.  IF it now works your problem is somewhere in the wiring or neutral safety switch or ignition switch or ANY connection in between.

You will notice that the wire on the "S" terminal is purple, it may appear to be black from the heat of the exhaust.  This purple wire goes all the way back to the two switches.

Tom T.