1956 T-Bird 1956 Ford Skyliner For Sale

A good friend of our family's husband passed away a few years ago now she has decided to sell a couple of cars.

1956 Ford Sunliner frame off restoration, 292 with A/C Continental kit, lots of spare parts, multiple first places and best of shows $65,000

1956 Ford Thunderbird 292 Automatic , AC, all power brakes, steering, windows and seats. 2 tops and fender skirts.  $79,000.

The cars are located in Massachusetts, I will do my best to answer any questions. I have a few pictures if you want more.

These cars run and drive nice.

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

Edited by djr71 (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

All '56 Thunderbirds have a continental kit. Pretty 'Bird, but whew that's a big number...

Same old story when it comes to pricing, but in this particular case, at least the cars look very well done. The blue bird is particularly attractive to my eye. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, classiclines said:

Do both cars have a continental kit - or - are the car descriptions confused ?  - thanx

Yes both cars have the continental kit, the pictures where just to large to put them up

myphone 026.JPG

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Same old story when it comes to pricing, but in this particular case, at least the cars look very well done. The blue bird is particularly attractive to my eye. 

I let her pick the price, they have a lot more invested in them. I explained to her that she may need to have to come down on the prices.

• Like 1

As Ed states, same old story, and has been oft said, how many dollars invested in a car has nothing to do with market value.  Same is true of a purchase price for a car you own, low or high, makes no difference to a real market value.

I don’t know about the convertible, but if she gets half what she’s asking on the little Bird that would be lucky, in my 

I wish her the best in finding good homes for the cars...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, djr71 said:

I let her pick the price, they have a lot more invested in them. I explained to her that she may need to have to come down on the prices.

It is tough situation.  Those are nice cars and will find their market.  It just might not be what she is looking for.

It is great to see an early T-bird that is not white or red.

• Like 1

The T-Bird blue is rather striking. Don't know if I have seen that color before. Is that a factory color? If so, what's the name.

Always love the factory color names. Coral Pink, Mediterranean Blue, Arctic PreDawn White

I believe it's code L Azure Blue, but it's hard to say for sure and interpretations of factory colors make the line pretty blurry. But that would be my guess. This is the prettiest '56 Thunderbird I've seen in a long time.

• Like 2

I agree it's a great bird..........and It would be interesting to know the final outcome.......both in time frame and dollars. But, it will probably not come to pass. 

• Like 1

A great looking 56 T-Bird with a non standard color. The only 56 T-Bird blue is Peacock Blue, which this car definitely isn't. It is possible that the car was ordered with a special color (S Code), but if so it should have been one available on other Ford products during that time. The 1956 Lincoln had two blues that appear to be a better match. Of course it may not match the data plate at all. It would be interesting to see a picture of the interior. For 1956 there were five color combinations: red and white; black and white; turquoise and white; green and white; and tan and white. It does not look like this car's interior matches any of these color combinations.  

It actually reminds me of a color Light Blue that was available for the 1966 Mustang. One other thing is the car should have a 312, not a 292. It probably does and of course they both look the same in the engine compartment either way.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird - Colonial White

Edited by 1957Birdman
Adding additional information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The engine choice was determined by the transmission.  

292 = base 3 speed

312 = Fordomatic or OD. 

Real, true 312s are scarce. For whatever reason they were not a durable size they wore out quickly (maybe limits of casting size?)

The 292 was a long lasting functional engine. And used until 1964 in trucks. ;)

It is real common in these era of Fords that the original 312 was replaced decades ago with an identical looking (beyond numbers and casting codes) 292. 

So, factory 312 and currently has a 292 could BOTH be correct statements. 

A lot of 312 blocks were ruined when rebuilt because the shop manual had incorrect bearing cap torque specs, causing them to be over tightened and cracked when rebuilt. If you find a 312 block it is important to have the bearing webs magnafluxed to ensure they are sound. Since the 292 and 312 look the same from the outside there is no real difference between the one and the other given the way these cars are used today. My car has a 312 from a 1958 Mercury. The only way to tell that is from the casting number on the block. The 312 was produced from 1956 through 1960 for cars only. All truck applications used either 272 or 292 engines.

Lew

1957 Thunderbird

On the T Bird a 292 would be an M code "M6FH..." and would be pretty rare and not as valuable, I don't think I have ever seen one.  The color would be a problem unless it was an S code as well.  For that kind of money it would have to be a nearly flawless concour quality car.  There are a ton on the market but 56 was the lowest production year and some people love the continental kit which was standard.