1954 C-1-B issues

WPVT

I am a new owner of a 1954 dodge half ton, 218 with a three speed. Low miles, nice condition.

First gear feels like second gear to me in that I have to rev way up before engaging the clutch. Starting on a hill is a challenge.

Maybe the engine is out of tune enough to lack any low end torque. I've heard these old flatheads have great low end torque. Mine, a 218, has zero torque until higher revs. 

Or could it be a clutch problem preventing me from "feathering" the clutch ? 

I've had old trucks, but never a 3 speed, so I'm not sure what to expect. 

Any thoughts ?

Thanks Reg. That was my first thought, as the previous owner said the rear end was replaced at some point. I don't, however, feel there's much extra at the top end. Running at 40-45 mph seems like plenty.

I may jack up the rear wheels and compute the ratio just so I'll be sure what I have. 

Edited by WPVT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is a followup to my original post. The truck's engine was way, way, out of tune. A carburetor rebuild, vacuum advance repair, ignition timing redo, new plugs, points, wires, etc., and the truck runs great. The engine has very good low end torque. I let out the clutch now at a 600 RPM idle, and away we go. What a difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1