1937McBuick

37 Buick engine hood louver vents

This picture is courtesy of some one who sent it to me.

How "white" are the vertical vanes supposed to be?   I doubt there is enough paint somewhere on mine to polish/buff to its original color to get a true sense of it.     Is the horizontal structural pieces that have stainless steel strips on them supposed to be the same color as the body of the car?

We intend to dismantle the louvers so we can get a real good prep and paint job so no rust bleeds through in places that are hard to prep and spray properly.

It just seems a "bright white" might be a little too much contrast on Buick's usual dark body colors.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0122.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I did a very light silver and to me it looks fine. It was a pain to drill out all the rivets to disassemble. I reassembled with 3/8 X#6X 32 screws and nuts.

DSCF4378.thumb.JPG.f0c5e90c5f9f97bcb4cca0b9fd1ad8ee.JPG

A lot of clean up and masking was involved.

DSCF4387.thumb.JPG.953a071d9099c565b82390bf0be3b146.JPG

DSCF4388.thumb.JPG.6743c0dd124239e6b2443b6a96f5efc6.JPG

I did the SPECIAL in red because I liked it and it is visible at a distance. 3 coats of clear over top. The correct black to me was just too drab.

• Like 2

Heres the link to how I did my vents.  Actually they are out of order, touch the lower one first.

DSC_4609.thumb.jpg.00a96bf12ce9f9a063b2b3aad8167aa1.jpg.2379c850ca986f3dd947e3123a6b79fb.jpg

I used this Rustoleum "Metallic Aluminum" between the chromed bars.  I really like the finish.

Gary

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My originals are hard to tell what color the louvers are but I have a poor set off a parts car where you can tell they seemed to be silver.  The whole assembly except for the stainless strips of course.   Started glass bead blasting the ones off my car today.  Done the backside only.   Afraid to do the fronts with anything except maybe soda blasting so the stainless doesnt get hammered beyond polishing.

Blasting is getting into all nooks and crannies,  I'm wondering if it's possible to powder coat them with the stainless masked off for paint application but the masking removed for the baking process.   I don't want rust bleeding/staining where regular paint spraying may not reach.

Any thoughts?

Tedious 

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

10 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

My originals are hard to tell what color the louvers are but I have a poor set off a parts car where you can tell they seemed to be silver.  The whole assembly except for the stainless strips of course.   Started glass bead blasting the ones off my car today.  Done the backside only.   Afraid to do the fronts with anything except maybe soda blasting so the stainless doesnt get hammered beyond polishing.

Blasting is getting into all nooks and crannies,  I'm wondering if it's possible to powder coat them with the stainless masked off for paint application but the masking removed for the baking process.   I don't want rust bleeding/staining where regular paint spraying may not reach.

Any thoughts?

Tedious 

Do they have rust bleeding now?

Ben

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Do they have rust bleeding now?

Ben

Really not presentable "as is" on a car that is having a fairly intense restoration done to it.

Backside was glass bead blasted.

Message_1595805971735.jpg

Message_1595805954445.jpg

Message_1595806006261.jpg

Message_1595805902479.jpg

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)
  • Like 1