Mothership wont stop starting

Off and on,if i start my car sometimes the starter wont stop spinning and if i turn the key backwards to try and make it quit,the car goes into pre ignition mode(giveittome,giveittome,giveittome).What is causing this strange phenonema? It doesnt do this all the time but i know it can only get worse not better without being remedied.

Capt. Electra-<P>What year Buick do you have? I had problem with my 1959 Invicta where everytime you turned the car "on" the car would try to start. This was without touching the accelerator.<P>If you have a Buick with the "automatic starting system," 1934-60 drop me an e-mail and I will let you know what I did to fix this problem. I repaired this in 1989, and have never had a problem with it again.<P>*Bugle Tech Tip March 1990<BR>*Buick Tech Tip Book, Page 142<P>------------------<BR>Frank Lee<BR>BCA # 14103<BR>franklee@uplink.net

I had a '78 Chevy with a straight 6 that had the same problem. I made the mistake of running it out of gas and trying to restart it while I had this problem. You can probably guess the end result (I din't know those starters could glow like that). rolleyes.gif Turns out it was a sticky starter soloniod.<P>I'd try changing that first. That would be the least expensive fix and if it works, great, if not, you've only invested a couple of bucks.<P>------------------<BR>Scott<P>Visit my 1962 Buick Site "<A HREF="http://advancedthrust.com" TARGET=_blank>Advanced Thrust</A>"

While you are under there...make certain none of the solenoid wires are touching each other...I did a starter on a friend 67 E 225 and it did same thing...wires were a touchin...