Bill Harmatuk 1930 Chrysler CJ-6

Donna Lynn

My beloved husband Bill Harmatuk died May 9, 2020 at age 65. Bill was completely healthy and in January 2020 had 2 bladder stones that ultimately turned out to be soft tissue sarcoma cancer. I’m his wife Donna and only found this site by googling the make of his car. 

Bill has had his Chrysler CJ-6 since he was 18 years old and between work, soccer games, Boy Scouts, etc he put the restoration on the back burner. But the car went to every house we lived in and sat in the garage instead of our family car.  Bill has just built a 50x60 barn and brought the Chrysler home. When he found out he was terminal he worked feverishly to get it primed. It has all original stuff, he said the hard parts had been done but to me it looks like it’s in a million pieces. 

My mission as his wife is to find someone to finish his dream car the way he would have. Can anyone help me by pointing  me in the right direction? I’m in New Bern NC. 

donna@teamnewbern.com

252-670-6595

ps. The name Marty Lum was someone he talked about. 

AF62B04D-5A0E-414A-969C-CC84836E599F.png

Edited by Donna Lynn
Cell year marti (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Donna Lynn said:

My mission as his wife is to find someone to finish his dream car the way he would have. Can anyone help me by pointing  me in the right direction? I’m in New Bern NC. 

donna@teamnewbern.com

252-670-6595

Donna, Marty has not visited this website since 2015, and he was 75 years old back then.

This is a tough situation as far as finding the right person to take ownership of that particular age of car as a basket-case/all apart.  I would try posting your request on the early Chrysler Products forum linked below.  There seems to be a tight knit group of owners of the similar age of Bill's CJ, and perhaps they might try to help find the right person to carry on.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/40-chrysler-products-general/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Donna,

I am also sorry to hear of Bill's passing.

It might take a bit of time but I agree with keiser, I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to help you out.

That is a very nice looking car when it's all reassembled.

Perhaps a picture of one may motivate one of the forum members!

Cheers, Greg

unnamed.jpg.23fbb88c9693a24a482d3578805e1529.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

No Carl. This group was not helpful at all. Maybe something worth examining on this forum is what happens when a widow wishes to finish a car (or find suitable home), when her husband passes and she tries to complete his life work. I do however appreciate you reaching out to me. It means a lot. Happy New Year. 

185310FA-E5CF-41C0-8733-968AD50580B5.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donna Lynn said:

No Carl. This group was not helpful at all. Maybe something worth examining on this forum is what happens when a widow wishes to finish a car (or find suitable home), when her husband passes and she tries to complete his life work. I do however appreciate you reaching out to me. It means a lot. Happy New Year. 

185310FA-E5CF-41C0-8733-968AD50580B5.jpeg

Donna....so sorry nothing has panned out for you and the car. I really wish the car was closer to me as I would LOVE to complete Bill's task of the restoration. Unfortunately, I have two other cars to finish and I really have no cash to go to North Carolina and get that car. Maybe another option for the car is to donate it to a vocational auto shop class and let them finish the job. That way, you could get a small write off and possibly see the car finished. You could also contact the W.P.C.Club and see if anyone there could help out. https://www.chryslerclub.org/

• Like 1

I wish I was 20 years younger and could help you with this project.  This car and your husbands memory deserve a good home. They are a fine automobile when complete. 

Best wishes to you and your family in the new year. 

Hello again Donna. 

Just to clarify, are you looking for someone to complete the restoration for you or are you looking to sell the car in it's current condition?

Cheers, Greg

8 hours ago, Donna Lynn said:

This group was not helpful at all....  I do however appreciate you reaching out to me. It means a lot.... 

Dear Donna, I didn't know your husband, but I

feel sorry for your circumstance.  His life, we

recognize, is continuing tangibly on.

Did he have any nearby antique-car friends who

can support your search for a new owner?

Or any like-minded friends elsewhere, with whom

he conversed on their common interest in early

Chryslers?  Are there any recent records of

parts sources who dealt in early Chryslers? 

Put out the word to all of them.

It sounds as if the forum members here have wished

they could finish it, but it hasn't worked out for their

circumstances.  Their help has been in the form of

sympathetic ears.

Finding a new home for a project in progress can

be a challenge:  That era of car isn't as popular as

it once was;  4-door sedans don't bring a lot of money;

and someone else's project in pieces seems 

formidable to a new buyer.  The new buyer will have

much more effort and money into it than it will ever

be worth, and will be restoring it as a labor of love.

However, He who keeps the planets in position,

and each little bird fed, has a supply for every need.

There will be one for you.  Let more people know you

would appreciate their help.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 7/24/2020 at 10:11 PM, Donna Lynn said:

Marty Lum is a well-reputed antique car restorer in

Mount Alto, Penna.  I spoke to him several years ago

and have two phone numbers in my records.  Both

are in Area Code 717:  

Cellular Phone 729-4080.  I just tried this and got his voice-mail.

That tells me the number is still current.

Phone 749-3383.  I just tried this and the number isn't current.

Maybe he's using his cellular phone as his main telephone.

I hope he's still around and doing good work. 

Donna,

Try this link to the First Capital Region in New Bern, NC.  This is a very active region of the Antique Automobile Club of America.  I attended 3 National events to include 1 Grand National there.  Great people to say the least.  Zachary Simon is listed as the current President.

http://www.ncregionaaca.com/firstcapital

Regards,

Peter J.

Did anyone discover if Donna was looking for someone to complete this project for her or if she was looking to sell the car in its current condition?

Perhaps I misunderstood but I don't think that point was clearly made, at least not for me. 

From this thread on the Chrysler section:

I think that she wants to sell the car but wants to be able to take her grandchildren for a ride in it when it is finished which I suspect pretty much everyone on here would be willing to do if they could take on the car.

5 hours ago, 3macboys said:

From this thread on the Chrysler section:

I think that she wants to sell the car but wants to be able to take her grandchildren for a ride in it when it is finished which I suspect pretty much everyone on here would be willing to do if they could take on the car.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that before.

Yes, and if you read Donna’s posting of October 16 therin, she says nothing about looking to sell the car. In fact, my reading of it seems quite clear regarding the grieving widow’s sentiments. I believe the 5th word is “gift” which explains Donna’s proposal unambiguously. I am sure some energetic kind person could do justice to Bill’s well started dream. Exposure is the key to finding that person. My heart goes out to Bill’s family.   -   Carl

• Like 2

Agreed.

I'm with most here, if it weren't so far from me I'd also like to help, but it couldn't be further away.

Maybe if we  keep this thread more active a member who can do the job will see it.

Do these cars have much wood?