1949 ROADMASTER

autonut

Just acquired a '49 Roadmaster to my collection. Have two things that need to be taken care of and wonder if any of you can give me any advice?  One item is that the fuel gage does not work.  I suspect perhaps the sending units but when crawling under the gas tank I did not see a wire anywhere going to the sending unit. Question is: to establish if it is the sending unit, where can I find the wire that goes to the gauge?

Also the speedometer is not working.  How difficult is it to disconnect the cable from it to see if it is turning?  If turning how difficult is it to remove the speedo and get it repaired?  Otherwise the auto seems to be in quite good original condition. Original engine that still runs strong etc.  Paint & upholstery is good.

I have ordered a couple of books on Ebay which may help me but anxious to get everything fixed.

Lee

Gas gauge wire goes behind left-hand trunk cardboard panel, then under the trunk mat, through small hole in trunk floor near the license plate light wire, then up over the tank to sending unit  near middle of the tank. Speedometer cable is easy to reach behind the speedometer, just unscrew it.

Pete NO!  I am out on the West Coast.  Wondering what the one in Ipswich sold for?  I really think I got a steal for the condition it is in and what I paid for it.  You luck out once in a while.  Unless something shows up which I don't think it will, I am totally satisfied!! I can send a pix to the club if they are interested.  Wonder if the club has information on this Roadmaster??  Surely they do. Would like to know more history if possible. I can provide Vin #s etc or whatever.

Did you buy one from someone in southern Oregon? One was for sale that looked very good. I have a 1949 Super 51 (four door). They are great road cars! I had mine out again today before we get 100 degree weather in the next few days in Portland. Everyone likes the big grille.

No I purchased mine from a local fellow here in the Tri Cities, WA.   Not sure where the car has been before that.  Do you have a historian that has a record of cars with their ID's, model etc.. I would like to see if there

is any history of the car in the club etc.  One other question.  Can you tell me what the resistance is suppose to be for the fuel sending unit???  Your '49 Super is almost identical to my Roadmaster. Not sure what the

differences are.

1 hour ago, autonut said:

No I purchased mine from a local fellow here in the Tri Cities, WA.   Not sure where the car has been before that.  Do you have a historian that has a record of cars with their ID's, model etc.. I would like to see if there

is any history of the car in the club etc.  One other question.  Can you tell me what the resistance is suppose to be for the fuel sending unit???  Your '49 Super is almost identical to my Roadmaster. Not sure what the

differences are.

Main difference is engine and wheel base change needed for same..Super = 248.  Roadmaster  =  320.

Ben

Autonut,

I also would like to find any history on my 41 and would like to know where to go. Although my car had been in the same family for almost 70 years, I'd still like to find any available history. Hope someone responds to your query .

Ed