sewittwer

Thinking of buying 1929 Mercedes AMG GLA Corriendo - and need information

You don't get into MGs  you put them on.

We have 3 and love them. Go for it. TD is a great car.

Terry

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

You don't get into MGs  you put them on.

We have 3 and love them. Go for it. TD is a great car.

Terry

😃

You only get into or strap them on if you are what us old ( in our 70’s) fat ( 240 or  higher) tall( 6 foot or over) guys with bad knees ( played football thru college) call small !  If you are one of us check to see if you fit!  I no longer have my Austin Healy, my 3 MGB GT’s, my Alfa Romeo or my Honda S 2000 mainly because it was a major effort to get in and out. Of course the 9 operations to fix the football injuries doesn’t help. 
That being said I would buy a TC or TD in a minute if I could get in and out. There is a Morgan or two that I would like to check out the accessibility of also. 
I think this couple would really enjoy the car and probably the people in the various MG clubs they would meet. 
Go for it and have fun. 
dave s 

Perhaps it would be best if you had a "wish list" of what you want, what it is for, and what kind of driving you would like to do ? If just looking for a fun two seater you can drive 70 all day and has an easy to put up/down top either a FIAT 124 Spyder or Alpha Duetto is a good choice. Both have quirks and both have loyal followings that can help and are undervalued (IMNSHO)

OTOH either a Triumph TR3 or Big Healey with OD can do the same if you prefer an English farm implement.

And then there are American two seater convertibles (e.g. Reatta or Allante) that are modern (but AACA eligable), have active groups & parts, AC, and can be had for under $5k.

So what is it that you really really want ?

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

a FIAT 124 Spyder...  is a good choice. Both have quirks...

Nice looking little cars.  But isn't the main quirk called "unreliability"?!

Ah, lots of possibilities in the old-car hobby.  It's always most satisfying

when beauty and reliability go hand-in-hand!

• Thanks 1

Ironically enough, on my way to work this morning there was a car IDENTICAL-same colour- to the op that appeared to broken down. He was parked in a convenience store lot, with the hood open (I surmise he was broke down by the placement of the vehicle, may have just been checking oil). He was looking under the front hood, so maybe a front engine? btw this was in MD.

Just a curiosity and a question to the MG owners, Do you think the reliability is better for these older cars once they have been restored/rebuilt with better technology?

My brother bought a Triumph Spitfire brand new (last year of production, prob around 1979-80 or so). Car was a blast to drive but had serious electric problems. He traded at just over a year old. It caught fire on the way to the dealer to pick up his new Olds. 

re Alfa (not Alpha) and Fiat:

The Duetto usually means the long tail version, and those are no longer inexpensive.

The Kamm-tail Alfa spiders and Fiat 124 are reasonably priced, and not horrid  for reliability.  I used an Alfa Spider as a daily driver when snow was not involved.

The Triumph TR's are a British alternate, but big Healeys are certainly a different price point.

They are all sports cars - the Allante and Reatta are not, they are cruisers.  So indeed, what's the goal is step one.

The big secret about FIAT engines is the oil slinger on the front of the crank. Sludged up they loose oil pressure and wind up on the back lot of a used car lot. Have also replaced the alternator with a Delco before. Other than that I bought my '68 with 101k miles and sold to buy my 78 SBC Sunbird at 170k miles. Other than singing in 5th and replacing the top, never gave any trouble. Including on long trips. No AC but lotsa vents. Did replace the steering wheel with one from an X1/9 that I liked better. Appreciated the one-hand top for Florida squalls.

Posted (edited)

Our 74 MGBGT has covered over 50k miles since we finished restoration. It's an AACA Senior and has never given us trouble we couldn't easily handle. That said, they are not hands off vehicles. We have learned how to keep them going and my wife has a special relationship with Joe Lucas.  It's comforting to know MGs  have a large support group, a great specialty discussion forum, and anything you need is either in stock at NAPPA or an 800 number away from Moss motors. We drive the heck out of our 1948 TC and same thing for that car. Lots of expertise is easily available through specialty clubs and other AACA members.  We would not hesitate to embark on tours or drive a thousand miles to get to a big event.

You do belong to AACA right?

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

If you want small and fun I'd strongly suggest a Tiger while you can still get one.  

It is most interesting to read the comments here about sports cars , mostly post war. I am to long in leg to fit into just about all of them which is why I never looked at one or really studied them to know more about them . I can and do appreciate their appeal. They take a lot less room then the barges I own ( that is stated with all due respect for the Packard 8 and Buick Roadmaster I own - if I didn't say that all the folks in the Buick and Packard fraternity  would be annoyed at me) . I did ride in a number of sports cars - the most memorable ride was in a brand new Triumph TR7 being driven from NY City back to my house after a meeting of the Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society when it was run by Austin Clark and Bruce Winnerstrom. David Hebb who worked for British Leyland ( as it was then called) did the driving and he was a great enthusiast of the MG car club MG1000 tours. David was considerably shorter then I was and drove flat out all the way home . Me with my legs folded up to fit which left me staring at my knees. After that, my rides in sports cars I limited myself to larger pre WWII era cars like my good friend artist Richard Lippold's 1930 Bentley 4 1/2 litre tourer. We took that up to the VMCCA car show in Tarrytown, NY. with the top down but fortunately the windshield up. Richard drove that flat out too, up and back . 😯

• Like 1

I vote XK120, 140, 150.   I'm 6' and shrinking but fit fine in a XK140 Roadster.  My brother is 6-1 and 20 pounds heavier and he can drive it but doesn't look too comfortable.

IMG_6942.thumb.JPG.6bfa5e6dd7a9c0f349796c6ddf53a841.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If going XK then a XK-150s. Gold head, triple carbs, Moss box,  Laycock overdrive, telescopic wheel, disk brakes, and two 6v batteries. Just need to straighten out the shifter.

• Like 1

Alpha/Alfa - something about a rabbit ? And here I thought that "duetto" meant "two seat". Finally, like quoth: "So what is it that you really really want ?"

10 hours ago, padgett said:

Alpha/Alfa - something about a rabbit ? And here I thought that "duetto" meant "two seat". Finally, like quoth: "So what is it that you really really want ?"

Alfa made some pretty nice looking bodies in the 50s and 60s but I could never get passed the fact I was running a bigger engine in my go-kart when was 10 years old.

The thing that is nice about the Jag is the engine is pretty big for a little car.

For me it was the DOHC-6 and triple big SUs. Still have some Whitworth wrenches.