70 Riviera - GS confirmation

TheTaxMan

How can you confirm if a car is truly a GS?  I'm looking at 1970 Riviera for sale and I see GS badging in pictures but don't see it on the original bill of sale?  Is the assumption that the badge was put on after the fact or is there another way to confirm when looking at the car in person.  I like the car either way but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

Welcome to the Forum TaxMan. Interesting user name.

Does it have an original looking chrome air cleaner lid?  Post a pic of the engine and fender with GS emblems. The A/C compressor should have a larger diameter pulley. Check the axle code on bottom of driver side axle tube 2-4" out from differential housing. Look for PY stamp and an X with circle around it.  This designates a 3.42 posi axle which came with the GS option.  The 3.42 ratio could have been special ordered on a base model but they are very uncommon. The stamp might be hard to see if there is scale rust.  At a minimum it should have a limited slip tag under one of the  differential cover bolts which requires little effort to see. Presence of the tag is a good sign but better to confirm the 3.42 ratio. 

If all these are verified that significantly leads to it being an original GS but never guaranteed 100%. Nothing in the numbers designates a GS option

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thank you both.  I will get a better look at it on Friday so will keep those in mind and I will take a picture of air cleaner lid and the A/C compressor.  On the price sheet for the car that I was sent it shows a "heavy duty air cleaner" for an additional whopping $9.48. As I mentioned, I like the car regardless of whether its a GS but interested to know.  Thanks again.

As to the screen name, I do corporate taxes and have sarcastically been referred to as the tax man my whole career.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheTaxMan said:

As to the screen name, I do corporate taxes and have sarcastically been referred to as the tax man my whole career.

Well that's OK then, as long as you aren't the tax collector. 😁  I love the "prestige" if you will, of owning a GS but honestly I do not like the  3.42 ratio for today's general highway cruising speeds between 70 and 80 because it puts the engine RPM too high for my liking at a sustained length of time.  It does help get the big car moving a little faster from a stop. Look forward to the pics

I agree. I looked at a triple black GS in Nashville a number of years ago. Just like this one but IIRC it had console w/ floor shift.  Just didn't have room for it. 😢

I thought that one of the best looking cars at the 2015 ROA event was this dark green 70 GS.  

image.thumb.png.75dd7ff9810f360679e1a29939a54a66.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 71GS said:

Speaking of 70’s, looked at this tonight for a friend.  Belongs  to a friend of his and looking to sell. 

Should be posting in the for sale thread soon. Any interest let me know. 

Brian 

D242AA32-0A7E-49B3-9E06-FA6DC3BE8C88.jpeg

A36863FB-1088-4B4B-BEE5-F71E4E85C935.jpeg

D349DE6C-1292-4CFE-92AC-A8F439082052.jpeg

3B153BE0-2F55-42C3-952F-27B8A58D6807.jpeg

Nice to see a side spear that hasn’t had the paint removed!

• Like 1