1931 front end wobble

dbdave26

I have been fighting with a death type wobble on my 31 866 coupe. Over the winter, I tightened wheel bearings, drag link ends, steering box. Kingpins are tight with no play. Today I had my garage guy put it up on his lift. Only play seemed to be in the "shock eliminator" when we shook the wheels back and forth, there seems a lot of float in the axle stemming from that piece. We tightened the bolts about two turns each, which looked to make things better. I checked the measurement as the service manual says. My measurement is about 3 3/8 now. Spec should be 3 17/32. My question is what kind of tension should springs have, and are there any replacements available. A short test ride did not show much improvement. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks Dave in N.H.

Checking the present caster setting plays a noteworthy role for diagnosing death wobble, if that is the wobble you have?  D.W. is when something upsets the steering, and then starts a chain reaction, getting worse and worse until nearly stopping the car. 

Shops installed "caster wedge plates" back in the solid axle days, on cars/trucks with twin leaf front ends.  They fit between axle beam and leaf spring, which changes caster.

One thing about overtightening drag link screws excessively, is that it usually makes DW more violent. 

The “kick shackle” should have very heavy springs, and it’s important the the float is adjusted correctly so it isn’t too sloppy or binding. A problem there will cause a death wobble. Also check tires for roundness, correct air pressure.....40 pounds is a good number. Checking the alignment as suggested.......it’s easy to do wit a kit you can buy yourself. See photo. The tool is mounted on a Kelsey-Hayes 17 inch Model J.

3D643147-A4A4-40C3-A47C-EE65E8FBD565.jpeg

I would want to make sure caster, camber, and toe-in are correct. any of these 3 can contribute to wobble.  If they are all to spec, I would then look to the shock eliminater. In 1932 the shock eliminater was on 60, 80, and 90 series cars.  The 50 series did not have the double shackle on the front of the front spring.  Knowing this,  to test the shock eliminater, I would remove the springs and put in solid spacers and then take it for a drive if the wobble is gone, It's the shock eliminater.  If the wobble is still there, you will to go back to worn spring shackle pins, or any of the steering joints.  Finally I know of several 1932 Buicks that had the problem solved by rebuilding the steering box.

I hope this helps

Bob Engle