Sign in to follow this  
awk409ak

64 Riviera Vent Window Repair

Hi All,

Ok, thinking of attacking my driver's side electric vent window in my 64 Riv.  Don't know yet what is wrong other than it does not work period.  So my question is how big of a job is this?  I haven't read the manual on this yet, but I will tonight.  I know you remove the outer skins.  Does the inside door panel need to be removed first?  Any tips, thing to watch out for, etc.  I need to do the passenger side too, but that works still.  I think the passenger side needs a gear change, it will not open unless you push it open a 1/2" to start it then it is fine, and closing is the same, it will close to that 1/2", then you need to push it closed the rest of the way.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Art

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Sounds like the linkage is jammed when the window is in the closed position.  You do not have to remove the interior door panel to work on the window - you cannot see any of the mechanism from the interior.  Once you have the door skin off and before tearing everything apart, clean the old grease from the tracks and gears.  See if the window works then.  If not, then it's time to pull a motor and give it's gears a through cleaning.  Not too much goes wrong with the actual motor other than old grease that turns into a hardened piece of gunk.  Same goes with your power seat.  It's usually grease on the tracks.  If you do pull the motor, and pull and clean the gears, run the motor with no gears connected to it.  The motor will spin freely and at speed it will self-clean the contact surfaces of any corrosion.  I've actually connected an 18V power tool battery to one to spin it that much faster.  The motor has two wires going to it, one is for up, the other is for down. The motor grounds through its body. Just clip a wire to the body any way you can. Run the motor in each direction to clean that corrosion.  I've never had to pull a motor apart.

• Like 1

Ed,

Art is talking about his R & L vent windows.  YES, you need to remove the outer skins.  While your at it ALSO do the linkage as Ed says.  Sounds like the right vent needs a gear & the left vent MAY need a motor.  Time for trouble shooting & diagnostics.

Tom T.

I guess my speed reading needs to go back to it's normal pace. My 63 had the same problems on bothe sides.  Pop it open manually and snap it shut manually.  The last tooth on the gear snaps off and there's nothing for the gear on the window to mesh with. The reproductions are mage of bronze rather than pot metal and the problem is solved. Pretty easy fix.  The gear is a simple R&R. You need to remove the motor to remove the gear so that should be pretty simple as well.  I have no experience in repairing the window motors so I don't know if they are repairable.

Thanks a bunch guys.

The right side is just like you said Ed,  you must pop it out first then it will open with the motor.  It will close almost all the way and you can hear it's missing and then stops.   You can push it closed manually.  So lets say it is the gear, do I replace both gears?  Is that why they are sold as a pair?  The left side is nothing, no motor that you can hear at all, nothing period.

Thanks,

Art

I would not assume that the left gear is broken just because the motor won't run.  It sounds as if you're going to have to remove both door skins anyway so take a look first.  I wouldn't order two gears if you only need one, unless you just want to play it safe, thinking the right side is about to break at any time, or the gears are only sold in pairs.  

I would change the vent window rubber and channel too.

John B.

That my friend is a job.  You have to take the vent window frame apart.  Unless the rubber is really bad, you want to think twice before undertaking this task.

I have a show coming up in York, PA (that's if it is not canceled), the GoodGuys Show.  So I certainly don't want to get too deep into anything.  The rubber appear in pretty good shape.  Right now have to readup on how to get the remote mirror off the door panel.  Then I can pull the skin off.  Maybe today I'll get to it. pretty hot out here in Delaware.

As always, thanks.

Art

Going to have to remove the cable from the remote mirror joy stick assembly.  This is to so the outer skin can be removed to get at the motor.

Art

Art,

Just go by the instructions in the chassis manual.  In all honesty it is NOT that hard to do.

IF you don't have a chassis manual, AND YOU SHOULD, just ask questions.  Just mark the cables in there relationship to the control & you should be OK as there have different paint coloring's on the cables.

Tom T.

Tom,

That is exactly what I am doing.  Color coded them with paint.  Will remove them later after paint drys.  I did not see the removal of remote mirror in the manual.

Art

22 minutes ago, awk409ak said:

Tom,

That is exactly what I am doing.  Color coded them with paint.  Will remove them later after paint drys.  I did not see the removal of remote mirror in the manual.

Art

This is from a ‘63 manual. Should be similar for your. It’s more for installation than removal but same idea.

FAD6FD8F-956E-497C-9CC3-31901E02F9A4.png

If all you're doing is trying to get at the motor, you can get the skin off the door frame AND CAREFULLY  set it aside without removing the cable assembly and get to the motor.

Ok, got the skin partly off.  It is just held on by the bottom screws.  Motor is easily visible, but looks like I need to take the inner panel off to get the motor out, correct?  Nothing alarmingly wrong at this point.

Art

Got the skin off enough to have a have access to the motor.  Which really does not help, so removed the inner door panel to find there is NO access to the motor screws.  So now I must decide if I want to remove the entire vent window assembly.  Not what I was planning on.   Certainly not designed for serviceability.

Art

Good day today!  Haha!  Got motor out (big job), disassembled it, cleaned it (lot of dried out grease) and put 12V to it and it works.  I can see that the gear is badly damaged at one end where it appear that the two gear locked together.  That is why the window could not be moved at all.  So now to order gears, they come in pairs so I will use the other on the right side after I get the left side working.  Just a note to everyone, my 64 DOES NOT have access to the motor screw (3) from the outer skin side of the door.  It DOES NOT have access to the motor screws (3) from the inner door panel side either.  I was not going to pull the entire vent window assembly out, so yes I drilled three access holes in the inner metal panel.  Now it will be easier getting in and out, but should not have to do this again anyhow 

Did you contact Hydro-electric (spelling)?  They've been running an ad in the  Riview for a long time selling vent w/o Dow motors.  They might sell you just the one you need. The ad in the Riview is taken from Hemmings.

I would say that you were lucky to even get any movement at all with the gears in that shape. UGLY! 

Ed,

Yes, this was the left side which did not move very much.  The right side moves 90%.  I suspect the right side gear will look the same if not worse, because the malfunction happens in the same window position, which is the almost closed position.  New gears ordered from Cars Inc.

I know several people may not agree with me, but putting in access holes make this job a whole lot easier.

Thanks,

Art

Art, 

Just make sure you plug those holes you made with some kind of rubber plug to keep out washing/rain water from entering from the holes & ruining the interior door panel with the water intrusion. 

Tom T.

Posted (edited)

A quick update.  Finally got the new gears from Cars Inc, yes they are bronze.  Tested the motor with gear assembly apart with a battery charger.  Tested fine, then cleaned, installed new gear, greased all gears, re-assembled and tested again.  All is good.  Assembled in door and re-tested,  all is good.  Bought some plastic plugs to plug the holes in the inner metal panel, used a little RTV on the plugs.  Ready to re-install the outer and inner door panels.

Here's some pictures for those people that have not done this of the motor re-installed, the inner metal panel with plugs and gear assembly apart.

Here's a question, the dome nuts for the outer panel, what locations are they in?

Thanks,

Art

1749431637_20200802_100951_resized-Copy.thumb.jpg.c5cf9370a0c3785362bedde14d9f2da6.jpg1756473848_20200802_101006_resized-Copy.thumb.jpg.0dde4bc035622c06ea5308201915d607.jpg1311995882_20200803_091654_resized40704.thumb.jpg.4369597c896ca7d60f27e96f170903e4.jpg1124388302_20200726_104623_resized40717.thumb.jpg.fa2dd9e5eda14ae5a087e065418c56f0.jpg1291869438_20200803_091957_resized40706.thumb.jpg.0aa9855707d6014f661a160f773fa9f7.jpg

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)
  • Like 2