'67 Voltage Regulator Questions

PWB

I have the original style '67 Voltage Regulator.

Can these be intermittent in performance and / or cause rough starts?

Are the new (AC Delco) style replacements any good?

Thanks

I've never had a regulator be root cause of hard starts or loss of performance.....assuming battery voltage is correct. If the regulator is not properly allowing battery charging and the voltage drops, then yes it could cause those issues. If system is charging properly, an intermittent fault in the regulator wouldn't be enough to allow battery voltage to suddenly drop to the point where it causes a problem. Assume you have checked the voltage with engine running? 

The newer electronic regulators should be better. Personally I like the original mechanical style....but then again I like points too so take that for what its worth.   

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, PWB said:

On 7/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, PWB said:

I have the original style '67 Voltage Regulator.

Can these be intermittent in performance and / or cause rough starts?

Are the new (AC Delco) style replacements any good?

Thanks

You could convert to internally regulated and leave everything in place so it pretty much looks like it's original. This is what I did.

• Thanks 1

IIRC you can tell the difference between the OE regulator and a newer transitorized regulator by how the cover is attached.  OE is screwed on; transistor is riveted on.  Drill out the rivets and use the old screws for an OE look

• Thanks 1

Or you could just run the original regulator. My truck has the GM/Delco external electromechanical regulator system that was used on 67 Rivieras. It has had the same NAPA electromechanical regulator since at least 1987 when it came into the family, and probably longer. The cover has never been off in that time. The original Delco regulators are of similar quality. Either of these old production regulators are adjustable and repairable (if necessary) practically forever.

Good luck getting that kind of service out of ANY electronic regulator, internal or external.

Electromechanical regulators can be intermittent if the points get dirty enough, or if a spider builds nests in there, blocking motion. I cannot imagine any way one could cause rough starts.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1