Replace viniall top on 1930 Chrysler 66 coupe

914bren

I need to replace my vinial top on my 1930 Chrysler 66 business coupe .  Will a Ford A ,model fit?  I don't see any size for the A model.  I probably just need the vinial material and trim.  Anyone have any advice.  

I am not familiar with the '30 Chryslers but 1930 is when Plymouth made the transition from wood framed to "all steel" bodies and the way the top was fitted changed dramatically.

Given the unified engineering system used in by Chrysler Corporation it would not surprise me if that same transition occurred at about that same time for Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler.

So it might help if you can give the engineering code for the car and/or if it is wood framed or all steel construction.

My 29 Plymouth Model U had wood framework and the vinyl material came down to the top of the doors.  My 32 Dodge Brothers has an all steel body with a rectangular opening in the top of the car that the vinyl top assembly basically drops into.  The assembly consists of wooden top bows and side and end pieces with a steel overlay.  Chicken wire covers the bows, followed by a pad (cotton or similar material) which is then covered by the vinyl.  Ply33 has a nice section on installing this type of top on his site.

Thanks for the replays: my 30 Chyrsler 66 is wood frame and has a vinial square in the center of the top.  I don't know where to get the vinial and trim required to replace it unless I just order a Ford replacement and hope it fits.  Any sources?

29 minutes ago, 914bren said:

Thanks for the replays: my 30 Chyrsler 66 is wood frame and has a vinial square in the center of the top.  I don't know where to get the vinial and trim required to replace it unless I just order a Ford replacement and hope it fits.  Any sources?

Best to measure width of the opening, adding an inch or two and compare it with the width of what the Model A Ford guys sell.

Go here for information....https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+car+vinyl+top+material&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0je---ePqAhU8HDQIHa_PB_wQsxh6BAgPECs&biw=1428&bih=780

Restoration Specialties and Supply Company has the correct smooth material and the underlayment material.  Mine just arrived last week for my 32 Dodge Brothers.  Page 113 of their PDF catalog under sedan decking and glazed padding.