Rooms at the Hershey Fall Car Show 2020

Steve Moskowitz

The Hershey Lodge has worked with us to offer a special rate for the fall car show.  It is the first time in the last 20 years that we have been able to get a reduced rate to the facility and the lowest rate we have ever heard of at the Lodge!  $199 a night for AACA members.  The Lodge has an extensive COVID plan and rooms are being sanitized regularly.  (717) 533-3311 Reservations phone  number. https://www.hersheylodge.com/ 

While this may seem high to some it is the best deal ever at the Lodge.  Other properties in town are much higher although I imagine there will be some bargains around.  So, if you like to stay at the Lodge now is the time to book. 

• Like 3

Thanks, Steve. I just called and they will call me back to adjust my confirmed reservation as soon as the block of rooms opens. My room just went down for 2 nights at over $700 to the $199 per night. A nice savings. My deposit is almost enough now to cover both nights. 🙂 Thanks again.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

That price seems high unless you ever paid a bill for a stay at the Lodge.

You have to remember Hershey is no different than Disney World, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, and so on.  I think Steve did a great job considering all immediate area hotels/motels charge in the $200-$300 range...JMO.

Peter J.

38 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

You have to remember Hershey is no different than Disney World, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, and so on.  I think Steve did a great job considering all immediate area hotels/motels charge in the $200-$300 range...JMO.

Peter J.

I was making a joke.   The Lodge is typically closer to 400 dollars a night,  so the 199 is definitely a big discount.

I miss the old days when I started going in 1971.   I parked the pickup camper on that hilly corner field at one end of the airport, right across from the first original swap field.  I could carry stuff back during the day for lunch, and see what others were dragging back too.

a simpler life, and tons of obscure prewar parts, ..........and young enough to walk all day long like nothing...sigh..

I remember we all thought the original single swap field was too big to properly search through in just 3 days. But in hindsight, there was enough time to go back through again, and go through boxes tucked under tables which led to some very rare small parts I needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our first was '68.  We would walk the entire flea market in the morning,  have lunch back in the camper then walk the entire field again in the afternoon.  Still wish we had bought that unrestored '29 Cadillac phaeton but Dad thought the $6000 asking price was too high.

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 7/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, philip roitman said:

Thanks, Steve. I just called and they will call me back to adjust my confirmed reservation as soon as the block of rooms opens. My room just went down for 2 nights at over $700 to the $199 per night. A nice savings. My deposit is almost enough now to cover both nights. 🙂 Thanks again.

Who'd you speak with Phillip?  I just called Hershey Lodge Reservations and the nice young woman I spoke with and the manager on duty know nothing about the special rate and still think everything associated with Hershey Week is cancelled until next year.  She kindly took my info, made a reservation at the regular high rate (which is fine because at least we have a room), and she is going to have a different manager look into it and call me back tomorrow.

No big deal--they'll sort it out--but apparently not all the Reservations staff at the Lodge have the info yet.

I look forward to seeing you at the show, Phillip.  What are you bringing?

Until then, be safe and stay healthy!

1 hour ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Who'd you speak with Phillip?  I just called Hershey Lodge Reservations and the nice young woman I spoke with and the manager on duty know nothing about the special rate and still think everything associated with Hershey Week is cancelled until next year.  She kindly took my info, made a reservation at the regular high rate (which is fine because at least we have a room), and she is going to have a different manager look into it and call me back tomorrow.

No big deal--they'll sort it out--but apparently not all the Reservations staff at the Lodge have the info yet.

I look forward to seeing you at the show, Phillip.  What are you bringing?

Until then, be safe and stay healthy!

Hi Mark.

Hope all is well. Say hi to Marion for me. I do not recall the name of the woman I spoke to at the reservation desk. She did say that it was on record and they were waiting for the block of rooms to open. She also said she woud call back and confirm the change when the room rate became available. I will be bringing the Gold 1973 Stage1 4 Speed to Hershey. I hope to bring both the Yellow and Gold cars to the Grand National. The yellow car going for its First and the Gold car going for its Senior. Looking forward to seeing you both at the 2 events.

Stay safe,

Philip

On 7/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, F&J said:

I miss the old days when I started going in 1971.   I parked the pickup camper on that hilly corner field at one end of the airport, right across from the first original swap field.  I could carry stuff back during the day for lunch, and see what others were dragging back too.

a simpler life, and tons of obscure prewar parts, ..........and young enough to walk all day long like nothing...sigh..

I remember we all thought the original single swap field was too big to properly search through in just 3 days. But in hindsight, there was enough time to go back through again, and go through boxes tucked under tables which led to some very rare small parts I needed.

Me too.  In 1973 our entire family made the trip down in the '40 Dodge.  I'd like to get that car restored and one day put it on the showfield.  Then we went from '79-'81.  Through the rest of the '80's between high school, college, etc. we didn't go.  I remember when I wasn't old enough to go, my father taking my sister down with him, but as soon as I was old enough, she quit going.

In 1993 I was finally at a point where I had a job and vacation time so we went down to Hershey again, but then between getting married, building my house, building the new shop, etc, Hershey went on the back burner again.

Then in 2000, we made the annual trip to Hershey.  I missed 2002 because the Army sent me out into the sand for a year, but I've been every year since 2003.  It took us thirty years, but we've had a vehicle on the showfield every year since 2002.  There are some years we've had two, and this year we're going to try to put three of them out there!!  All of them RED.

I laugh when you talk about the fields.  Years ago we went just on Saturday, then we started going Friday and Saturday, added Thursday, added Wednesday, added Tuesday, and now we head out for Hershey on Monday, and we still don't see it all.  This year we'll be leaving on Friday to go down and head home Saturday afternoon.

It wasn't until I had been in the Army several years before I realized that I could rent a room at Fort Indiantown Gap.  Prior to that we used to sleep in the back of the truck.  Ironically that was the reason why I put caps on the back of my pickups so we could sleep in the back and have a solid roof, windows, screens and lights.

I remember the days of parking along Hersheypark Drive too.....  and being able to go on an airplane ride....  

The days before the high priced motorhomes and car trailers..  Back when you either drove your car to Hershey, or you hauled it there on a homemade trailer...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, F&J said:

Every once in a while I'll remember were something is, the 1969 Hershey directory of Vendors by David Ficken is todays find. 1969 my first year there, note the map shows every Swap Meet space and the show field for late 1920's to 1940 vehicles, the old stadium was filled with Brass Era cars. Bob 

DSCF9793.JPG

• Like 1

Last time I went to Hershey was over 30 years ago and while we didn't find much in parts, it resulted to buying my Roadster about a month later*, but I haven't had an urge to go back yet.

* Saw it "advertised" with one Polaroid & very brief description (Year, make, model, price + IIRC one word, "project") on a sellers/vendors pegboard, but never managed to catch him at that space during the event. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey 1937hd45 Bob. My first year was 1969 also👍  Not sure when we met, but know it has been a long time since our last meeting. Need to change that this year. Probably at the show “T” field.  I will be in with Corvettes (1993). 

Chuck Carisch

POINT OF ORDER: Is the 2020 Hershey SHOW still considered the AACA 2020 Fall Meet? Will there be class judging & awards, or is this just a good time gathering? 

I'll make a run down and back for the day just to keep my attendance record unbroken since 1969. If anyone doesn't show up has their record been broken since the "missed" 2020?

Bob 

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 9/18/2020 at 2:03 PM, 1937hd45 said:

POINT OF ORDER: Is the 2020 Hershey SHOW still considered the AACA 2020 Fall Meet? Will there be class judging & awards, or is this just a good time gathering? 

I'll make a run down and back for the day just to keep my attendance record unbroken since 1969. If anyone doesn't show up has their record been broken since the "missed" 2020?

Bob 

Hello Bob,

Yes, even though the swap meet is cancelled, the 2020 Eastern Fall Meet/Nationals is still being held on Saturday, 10 October.  Registration is closed for the cars, but you still have until Tuesday, 22 September, to register to judge.  Judging School & CJE is on Friday afternoon as usual, but will be outside.  No Judges Breakfast on Saturday--judges must sign in at 9 AM and meet their Judging Team Captain & teams at 9:30 AM on Saturday.  Teams are expected to be 4-person instead of 5.  An e-mail went out to all members about a month ago, plus it was in the July and August issues of the Speedster e-newsletter sent to all members.  (If you didn't receive the e-mail or Speedsters, I recommend you contact HQ and ensure they have your correct e-mail address.)  Info is posted elsewhere on the Forum, and the information brochure is linked at the bottom right of the AACA homepage. 

1,000 vehicles are expected.  We'll all miss this swap meet, but it's going to be a great show.  I hope you can make it and continue your streak.  (It's longer than mine.)

Be safe & stay healthy!

Edited by Mark McAlpine (see edit history)

See you there Bob.  My string of consecutive Hershey meets had a few "cracks" when the Navy thought I should be somewhere overseas, but have been going since 1970. I too remember the brass cars inside the stadium and the swap meet outside.   Those old Ficken directories are a treasure and I've still got one from that first year too.

I'll bet there will still be a few people in the parking lot with some goodies "displayed" on the tailgate.

Terry

Here is my plan. Get there early, park in my “own” vendor space- and leave my business cards and a note. I figure my “regular” customers will come by like pavlov’s dogs- looking for their parts. Of course, the really smart ones will see me at Fall Carlisle the week before.

C20ECC9A-1C20-41CB-84A4-59667A6816FE.jpeg