41 Buick Wiper Repair - Guidance?

jim1941

fullsizeoutput_aa3.thumb.jpeg.1e4205145532ec1a97e7a5865d8c4801.jpegfullsizeoutput_aa5.thumb.jpeg.764f8e94e0c2c9833a47b387b765bddc.jpegHello,

My 41 Buick LH Drivers Side wiper has not been working.  Right side is good. Got into it today and found a piece of broken chain laying outside mechanism.  Removed unit from car and see that the chain broke way up inside housing in area where wiper arm attaches. Can this be fixed? I don't see access.  Am thinking a replacement is more likely.  If yes, I found someone on eBay selling a set but they're advertised for a Series 42 with part number 79403 on the LH arm.  (I see their part number in the photo, so no mistake) I have a series 40 and my LH arm part number is 79043.  Everything looks very similar to mine in photo's. Did Buick use different wiper parts in their different models?  My Series 40 is a Sedanette Model 46S. fullsizeoutput_aa6.thumb.jpeg.eb82e980e2ba3a0c394ec4d1a5aa837c.jpeg

Jim again. I did hear back from wiper parts seller and Buick did use different wiper parts between the different models of the same year, so I'll have to be careful.  Amazing they did that with something very few buyers would even notice. 

Jim, 

I feel your pain. Last month I worked on my windshield wiper system and was successful at getting both towers to work. I also was lucky in that I was able to get the motor working also. I don't see how the chain can be repaired. Research was done to possible replace one of the towers but, like you stated Buick used different model towers for different year cars. There is a height difference in the towers. You might try 2carb40, or Dave Techany for the tower. 

New towers show up on eBay fairly regularly. I believe there are two different sizes, one for 40-60-90 series and one for 50-70 series. I forget which is taller, but someone should be able to tell you for certain. They're not hard to find for the Model 46 and not terribly expensive. I think I recently saw a pair for $200.

Thanks for the input.  I'm getting an education on this one and mostly from Mr. Fliken the Wiper Guy. He's been a tremendous help.  My chain is fine, he says they almost never break. It's the other pieces that are all pot metal. Also there are TWO chains in there. My one side fell out of the little nook it tucks into.  See photo; it's the one on the right. I was able to lower it down into its catch, but now the problem is how to keep it there.  I may devise a little wedge to gently pound in.  Also, NOW, looking at my own photo, I'll bet one of the chains should be wrapped (spun) around before attaching the second. 

My first step was to look for past posts on this subject and didn't find any, so maybe this will help someone down the road. 

Jim

fullsizeoutput_aa8.jpeg

Wiper is fixed and working great.  Sprocket that holds wiper arm had to be removed, then center shaft pounded out. This was made easier by soaking for a day in a little cup filled with PB Blaster. Chains get attached to wheel and then inserted into tower pointing up to the top. Chains hang down on each side and get attached to pivot arm after reinstalling that easily removed mechanism... and so on.  

• Like 3