1950 packard 23rd series custom 8

1950 packard 23rd series custom 8.....top of the line packard....one of 870 built...has the massive 356 cu.in. 9 main bearing straight 8 engine.....last registered in 1986....sitting in garage since 1986......i just acquired and now sitting in my driveway...i bought from family whose grandmother bought new and spent its life in new york city commuting to the empire state building....she has 30,744 original miles....comes with original jack and keys....doesn't run...pull plugs and add marvel mystery oil....seats are in super condition....this is a one of a kind packard....missing one hub cap....hudson, nh. 03051    2999.00...bought to make rat rod, but i believe she has another purpose.......

DSCN8785.JPG

DSCN8786.JPG

DSCN8790.JPG

DSCN8787.JPG

DSCN8788.JPG

DSCN8789.JPG

DSCN8791.JPG

DSCN8792.JPG

DSCN8793.JPG

DSCN8794.JPG

Edited by ccc1rick@gmail.com
mis information (see edit history)

Your 1950 Packard is a 23rd Series Custom Eight, not a Super Eight.  On the data plate on top of the cowl in front of the driver you will see "2352-5-####".  This is a late top-of-the-line Packard, one of 870 built before Custom Eight production ended for good.  The engine is the largest displacement 356 cu. in, nine-main-bearing straight eight.    

Bryan,

Chrome molding encircling the trunk, wide wood door window friezes, chromed window reveal moldings both inside and out.  Three ribbed seat and kick panels, the 356 ci centered distributor, its definitely a 2352 Custom Eight.   The 2372 Super Deluxe lacks those details but has the egg-crate grille and trunk valence trim.

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Your 1950 Packard is a 23rd Series Custom Eight, not a Super Eight.  On the data plate on top of the cowl in front of the driver you will see "2352-5-####".  This is a late top-of-the-line Packard, one of 870 built before Custom Eight production ended for good.  The engine is the largest displacement 356 cu. in, nine-main-bearing straight eight.    

With all due respect to our 1st time "newbie" poster that won't be back after this free car to him is sold - this car is not worth $5k.  Engines cost $10,000 to rebuild properly by a decreasingly small circle of shops that can do it properly.  Despite the advertised "30,000 original miles " the body needs $12,000 worth of work, that interior may crumble at any moment as storage was fair to suspect. 

Yes, I have owned a 22nd series Custom 8 sedan.   It was sold to a buyer in New York for $850 in similar condition.  Custom 8 sedans in running driving condition can be found for $7500 to $14,000 or so.  $20,000 buys you a Packard Club level driver and #2 car, in most cases.  

Edited by B Jake Moran
Errors in initial post (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm more familiar with the 22nd series, where the Custom 8 would have the full width dash chrome and the much fancier seats than a Su8.  So i defer to you on 2352 vs 2372, with thanks for the educational moment.  The hood ornament is an easy fix.  Should have seen the 356 vs 327/288.

Bryan

I have to credit Robert J Neal for my detailed education how to tell the difference.  His book Packard 1948-1950 is invaluable.

BTW, I recognize this '50 Custom Eight as a recent CL Picking.  I can't blame him for trying to turn a profit, though I suspect he is in for a rude awakening to the realities to this segment of the collector car market.  Good luck to him, I hope he finds that rare car a good home.

Edited by 58L-Y8
I recognize this Custom as a CL Picking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One question though, as this car is a Custom Eight with the 356 engine, & trim all the way around the trunk lid, why doesn't it have the chrome trim on the glove box door?  I know all the 22nd series Custom Eights do.  Did they get rid of that on the 23rd series?   

44 minutes ago, K8096 said:

One question though, as this car is a Custom Eight with the 356 engine, & trim all the way around the trunk lid, why doesn't it have the chrome trim on the glove box door?  I know all the 22nd series Custom Eights do.  Did they get rid of that on the 23rd series?   

Yes, the 23rd Series Custom Eights have less chrome trim than the 22nd Series Custom Eights.

hi...this is rick with the 50 packard....i bought to make a rat rod and use body only...getting rid of front clip and chassis along with drive train.....thought i was doing a justice to keep her original and selling to packard enthusianists .......dont need the peanut gallery.....selling for a few weeks and then putting on a 1975 olds 455 hurst chassis with drive train and electrical making a rat rod....save her and dont affend her......

57 minutes ago, ccc1rick@gmail.com said:

hi...this is rick with the 50 packard....i bought to make a rat rod and use body only...getting rid of front clip and chassis along with drive train.....thought i was doing a justice to keep her original and selling to packard enthusianists .......dont need the peanut gallery.....selling for a few weeks and then putting on a 1975 olds 455 hurst chassis with drive train and electrical making a rat rod....save her and dont affend her......

No offense but this is not a rat rod site and most of the people here are not rat rod fans. Good luck with your Packard....

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

you’re being needlessly rude 

What specifically did I say that was rude? Is this a rat rod site? No it is not. Are most of the people here fans of rat rods? No they are not. And then I wished him good luck with his car. That's why three people so far gave me a "thumbs up" for my comments. There was nothing whatsoever rude about my comments. Please grow up.... :wacko:

• Like 1

$5000 doesn't seem excessive to me. If it is worth less money can someone briefly itemize the difference between the asking price and what they think the price should be? A new buyer would certainly be looking down the barrel of a $30,000 to $50,000 project. Where would one's objective two or three thousand dollar devaluation entail?

I read the forum enough to know there might be a keyboard or two out there that have an F function programmed for "That's too much".

I think the 53-54 Senior hood ornament looks pretty good too.

Hey Rick, did you see this '49 Packard 2 door listed on this site for $5950? It looks nice and runs good so when you compare your non-running rusty 4 door to this one you will probably agree with Jake that your price is a little "ambitious" if you know what I mean. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but just wanted to give you a better idea of what your car is actually worth. Good luck.... :)

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/d/east-bridgewater-1949-packard-super-8/7160556297.html

1949 PACKARD SUPER 8 - RARE 2 DOOR FAST BACK
* 3 Speed Standard  * Runs and Drives Excellent  * Nice and Quiet - No Smoke  * Starts Right Up - Shifts Good - Stops Good  * Frame, Floors, Body in Good Shape  

* Right Rocker needs minor repair  * Door Panels will need to be replaced someday  * Pair of Skirts in the trunk  * MA Title  * Previous owner no longer able to drive - In one family for years  * Driven Daily  * A Real Head Turner!    LOW - LOW Price @ $5,950 for this Rare Find!!

8D835E8F-2222-4F52-9489-3BA6407623AC.jpeg