Identify the transmission in this Henderson Cyclecar?

Cyclecar Guy

Greetings from an AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America) member in search of identifying the transmission in this prototype cyclecar by a Dr. Kirk Garland practicing dentistry at the time of manufacture in Hanson, MA, circa 1918-1925.  It transfers power from a 1925 Henderson Deluxe motorcycle engine to an upsidedown Model T rear end since the Henderson crank is opposite than automobile rotation.  It is the only example known to exist.  It's transmission is a 3-speed with reverse.  The cover has this cast in it:  14182, above a 3.  The case has the numbers 14181, followed by a curious trademark that appears to be the letters H C G superimposed on each other, sequence unknown.  The input shaft appears to be one inch square.  I hope the photos help.  Can post other views if that would help.  Thanks for looking.  

IMG_8309comp.JPG

IMG_8277comp.JPG

IMG_8279comp.JPG

IMG_8291comp.JPG

Edited by Cyclecar Guy (see edit history)

That 1 inch square drive is probably a pretty good clue it is an auxiliary transmission originally marketed as an accessory  for a Ford Model T.   A few dozen aftermarket  manufacturers made a  thousands of these bolt-on gear-splitters to  give the T's planetary transmission a few more  gear ranges to make the best of that anemic 4 cylinder engine's 20 (net!) H.P..

If you post this over on the Model T Club of America (MTFCA) discussion board, you'll probably have a positive I.D. before the picture can finish downloading! 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This is truly fascinating! That is a really cool car and loved seeing the article from SIA. I will have to find a copy somewhere to purchase.

Dr. Kirk A. Garland was a dentist in South Boston and then later in life lived at Rock Haven Farm in Hanson. He practiced dentistry until he "was too feeble to do so" and he died in 1921 at Rock Haven. His wife Annie also died at Rock Haven a few years later in 1926. The Garland's were eccentric and were well known when living in Boston as they were involved in not only dentistry but it is also believed that they travelled with the circus. They acquired a baboon at some point named Manuel who was likely from the circus. Manuel lived with the Garland's at Rock Haven (also where he practiced dentistry) and was known around town as when getting dental work done, Manuel would come over to the patient, remove their shoes and lick in between their toes... Manuel outlived both of the Garland's. After Annie's death, Manuel and the house went to the next owners (the Seegar family). He lived with the next family until Manuel was shot and killed by the Duxbury sheriff along with the Seegar family dog. The baboon and dog were friends but would cause some trouble by killing chickens on nearby farms. Someone phoned the sheriff and he responded by killing them both. 

My family has owned Rock Haven for the last 65 years. We were all shocked to stumble upon your post here. Since there are no known pictures nor decedents of the Garland's, I have posted the doctors stencil for his practice in South Boston. We found this inside of one of the walls of the home when working on renovations. It was clearly intentionally placed there to be found by future inhabitants of the house. Circa 90 years after his death, it was uncovered. 

I hypothesize that the car may never have been finished as he became ill and died in 1921. There is little to no information surrounding his or his wife's death. Odd, as they were well known Hanson community members. 

IMG_20210608_211941.jpg

Edited by RockHavenFarm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For whatever it is worth at this late date? I don't think that is an accessory transmission for a model T. It doesn't look like any model T accessory I have seen. It does resemble some transmissions for Chevrolet from the early to mid 1920s. They had square drives in a couple sizes (depending on year and model?), and subframe mountings similar to what this transmission has. The shifter mechanism does not look like standard Chevrolet, although I did one time see a modified Chevy transmission with something similar. I never heard what it was from.

To RockHavenFarm, that information on Dr. Garland is priceless.  We need to talk.  I have found nearly nothing about him other than Census records, vital statistics (his 1921 death) and his brief obituary in the Boston Post.  Having no children or heirs to speak of, that likely orphaned the cyclecar until it emerged in an auction after WWII according to the earliest known non-Garland owner I've spoken to whose dad bought it.  The son is now 75 years old.  To KMike6024, it's engine dates to 1923 by serial number and as you can see it was a high quality customization of the Henderson motorcycle engine -- the front end crank and fan for instance.  Other cyclecars were v-twins running Harley or Indian engines, making the few cyclecars with Henderson engines very unique, powerful and desirable.  Way to go, Dr. Garland!  To Wayne, I am getting more and more comments that it is a Chevrolet transmission, including the town historian of Hanson, MA where this car was reputedly built, whose grandfather (ironically) also grafted a Chevrolet transmission to their Model T, which remains in the family today.  Thanks for the postings you guys!

I can be reached at work in Kansas (Chance Rides, Inc. - amusement ride manufacturer) at 800-242-6234 ext. 7770.  Jeff

• Like 1