1931 UK Dodge UF-10 Truck Restoration

Hi All,

It has been a long while since my last update. But I have just finished the sand blasting job on the truck chassis and have released a video to show just how much fun I didn't have during the long process!

Click Here to see the video on YouTube

Click like and subscribe on YouTube if you enjoy the video to support my channel! Check out the other videos on the channel too!

Thanks all and take care!

Henry

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Wow! I can only praise you for the hard work and the progress you've made.

This video kinda motivating to not giving up on "a little bit more modern" 😂 dodge that I drive!

I have to do some muffler swapping and other inner & outer stuff

Wish you luck and going to commit to some sweat job!

On 8/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, ancientgrubs said:

Wow! I can only praise you for the hard work and the progress you've made.

This video kinda motivating to not giving up on "a little bit more modern" 😂 dodge that I drive!

I have to do some muffler swapping and other inner & outer stuff

Wish you luck and going to commit to some sweat job!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad it's helping you with motivation. I'd be lying if I said I didn't struggle myself at times. Just at the moment I seem to have a bit of a motivation boost going on! Good luck with your projects too!

Thanks for sharing Henry. I have also done similar media blasting, so I know how much work is involved. Love the vintage brick garage! Don't see much of that sort of thing out here in California. Good luck and keep us posted!

Greg

On 8/25/2020 at 3:57 PM, GregLaR said:

Thanks for sharing Henry. I have also done similar media blasting, so I know how much work is involved. Love the vintage brick garage! Don't see much of that sort of thing out here in California. Good luck and keep us posted!

Greg

Thanks for watching! The old barn (garage) is almost 300 years old now and still standing.

• Like 1

Nice work Henry, I watched a couple of your other vids, one showing the resto of the dash. Only thing I may comment on, I too was polishing small parts such as you were with the small washers, Lost my grip and it became a 'bullet' in the air. To this day I am still looking for that part. Very lucky it didnt put my eye out! Be careful when doing so, Keep up the good work!

Just now, TAKerry said:

Nice work Henry, I watched a couple of your other vids, one showing the resto of the dash. Only thing I may comment on, I too was polishing small parts such as you were with the small washers, Lost my grip and it became a 'bullet' in the air. To this day I am still looking for that part. Very lucky it didnt put my eye out! Be careful when doing so, Keep up the good work!

Thanks for watching! I'd be lying if I said I hadn't lost a few parts to the polishing wheel... There are some tricks to hold parts, but sometimes it's not easy and they go flying.

I have enjoyed them and looking forward to more in the future. That is an interesting truck you have, Cant wait to see it finished.

On the polishing side, I mostly use a pair of plyers trying not to damage the part too bad. 40+ years of carpentry/construction have left my hands a bit arthritic, I dont have a lot of strength left in them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colin Spong said:

Henry....Some 20-30 years ago there was a 1931 Dodge Fast Four Panel Van that was around in the Enfield/Herfordshire area of the UK.

I can't remember the compete registration number but it started "DG".Is this your van?

Regards, Colin. (UK)

Thanks for this Colin, really interesting to know. Not my van, my reg is 'TK 6810'. It was owned in Tamworth I believe at that time, soon moved to Kettering where it sat until I bought it three years ago.

Also, my 1969 and 1970 tax discs are from Hertford.

Can you tell me any more information at all? Don't suppose you have any photos? Where did you see it?

Regards,

Henry

Edited by Henry Boler (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, Colin Spong said:

Henry,

I will try to find some photos of it which I know that I have somewhere. In addition I am still in contact with a precious owner.

Regards,

Colin.

Colin,

I don't suppose you've had any joy with the photos and previous owner at all have you?

I've also sent you a private message.

Regards,

Henry

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, Colin Spong said:

Henry....Some 20-30 years ago there was a 1931 Dodge Fast Four Panel Van that was around in the Enfield/Herfordshire area of the UK.

I can't remember the compete registration number but it started "DG".Is this your van?

Regards, Colin. (UK)

I do believe I've located the van you mentioned Colin. Also one of its previous owners, also a Colin!

You can clearly see the number plate 'DG' and 'Enfield' printed on the side panel.

Image (4).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

I guess with all that detailed work if their , where any frame numbers , you would have found them . I know i had you looking previously . Great Work , well above what i would have even considered doing .

Thanks Tom. I would definitely have seen them. I looked absolutely everywhere and couldn't see anything at all.

• 1 month later...

Another great video Henry. Are you at all concerned with what appears to be a severely compromised rear axle tube? It seems that the corrosion has taken its toll. To me it looks like it is beyond filling the holes, as the piece in its entirety looks very thin in spots.

Just now, TAKerry said:

Another great video Henry. Are you at all concerned with what appears to be a severely compromised rear axle tube? It seems that the corrosion has taken its toll. To me it looks like it is beyond filling the holes, as the piece in its entirety looks very thin in spots.

Thank you. I was concerned at first, but have now fixed it. I figured a few things, a lot of that tube is still at full thickness, so chances of it failing are slim, also, given the way the suspension is set up, should it actually fail, I think I'd survive! You'll see in the next video that I actually went to town on the welding and filled all of those pits right back up to surface level, it welds surprisingly well once heated up. The pits have really steep walls, so even though there we a few holes, it wasn't at all far away from full thickness metal. I'd certainly consider replacing it with a better option if one became available, that's for sure. Also, interestingly, I think all that corrosion is exhaust related, as everything from the front to back of the truck has bad corrosion on it around the exhaust route. 

Good deal. I was curious suspension wise how much the axle tubes really would be under stress, I would tend to think not a whole lot. Im glad you were able to save. I can only imagine how fun it would be to find a replacement!

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

Good deal. I was curious suspension wise how much the axle tubes really would be under stress, I would tend to think not a whole lot. Im glad you were able to save. I can only imagine how fun it would be to find a replacement!

I've been doing an almost unhealthy amount of digging into the old girl's history and have been following a lot of leads and speaking to a lot of people who knew the truck over the years. It is possible I might track something down one day, and that really would be exciting!

• 2 weeks later...