Sign in to follow this  
George Cole

Parting out 1970 Chevy C60 Tilt Cab

My 1970 Chevy tilt cab C60 fire truck is very quickly returning to it's natural state.  I live 3 blocks from the ocean, and although it had zero rust when I bought it 3 years ago, the paint almost immediately began bubbling and bleeding big chunks of rust at every metal seam.  There's now holes big enough to put my hands through.  Even though it's only got  a verified 18k miles on the odometer, it's too far gone to save.  I'm pulling  427 long block and the 5-speed Spicer tranny, then will have the cab and chassis towed to a salvage yard.  All the glass, interior, emblems, etc are in good condition.  Hate to scrap it all, but I have no room to keep it.  Anybody need anything from it?

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Going, going, gone!  Towed to a crusher yesterday.  Too bad, as a lot of the parts, pieces, and trim were unique to the Chevy/GMC tilt cabs.  Would have liked to keep the curved windshield glass panels and the remainder of the glass as they were perfect and I know there must be someone out there needing them, but I have no place to store them so they're now gone.  I do still have a brand new curved passenger-side windshield in the attic, which I found on-line and bought several years ago thinking I might need it someday.  Eventually I'll drag it down and scrap it as well.  Without engine, transmission, etc, it still weighed 9700 lbs.  Deducting 750 lbs for tires, The crusher gave me a walloping $494. for it...and it cost me $300 for the tow.