1966 Cadillac Calais - All Original - IL - Not Mine - 7/22 Price Reduced

For sale on Craigslist:  All Original 1966 Cadillac Calais 4-door Sedan in Brookfield, IL  -  $14,500  -  Call or text:  70 eight  24 three   -640 three

On 7/22, Seller reduced price to $10,000

Link:  https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/brookfield-1966-cadillac-calais-all/7156420893.html

Seller's Description:

NO TRADES -This is ALL ORIGINAL CAR-Private Owner- Does not smell old or musty. only Tires have been updated. Needs nothing. Drive it today. One Owner-Mileage is 50988' original paint, all options work, chrome is in perfect condition, as is undercarriage, last several years was parade driven only, this car is a piece of American history, its been preserved, garage kept and washed and waxed with love!!!! No Rust. The Front seat is not discolored, its kind of a gold brocade cloth with the sun on the seat (original) no rips, no tears, near perfect.

image.png.0cab4d6dddd6682821b45ead3ff78a1e.png

image.thumb.png.778c9341b14a1980dacb911f1f661524.png

image.png.d3b66ccf292d57eb9342728fdb79e806.png

image.png.6673e862dff8a17a2a99d8440af51957.png

image.png.89d4c1c4fe2879f5478a4706c18df6a5.png

image.png.76f21afee538a016419ce3cfc4944154.png

image.png.fd13e1c5debb28fb635c9d72a4b431d9.png

image.png.b869143823f71da13e127d2401555e99.png

image.png.51555e80984115f8591c947de7aba3e6.png

image.png.00e490523aaae745f8a2102598ef434a.png

image.png.1d8da25329d7c200cf00b7f08fc79317.png

image.png.25580166b49480d2adf88de029a93508.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

A crank-window Cadillac Calais!  By the 1960's, power windows were an expected standard luxury feature for cars in the Cadillac, Lincolns and Imperials class yet Cadillac still had them optional on the lowest-priced Series 62/Calais line.

Cadillacs through the '60s foreword, don't seem to be quite Cadillac if they are not air conditioned. And a BLACK '66........... ? Go ahead and  call it Calais, if you like. No, not a Cadillac to        -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, C Carl said:

Cadillacs through the '60s foreword, don't seem to be quite Cadillac if they are not air conditioned. And a BLACK '66........... ? Go ahead and  call it Calais, if you like. No, not a Cadillac to        -    Cadillac Carl 

Solid black, matching or gray interior, no power options: funeral home or livery limousine.

I had low expectations when I clicked this thread, but that's actually a pretty nice car. Yeah, crank windows and no A/C in a Cadillac (especially a black one) kind of sucks, but it's really nice. I agree with 58L-Y8 that this was a service car, no question about it.

Ad says "all options work."  Particularly reassuring in this case. "Optional equipment is : Signal-Seek AM radio". Trust you may, but I recommend you VERIFY the functionality of ALL them there options during your test drive.     -    CC 

• Haha 1

I'm one of the few that prefer no A/C and no power windows.  Having owned over 270 cars in 40 + years, I don't like power options that fail to work. In this case, a 54 year old car with power windows is likely to have a slow or no go window of the 4 if they were power.  I also owned 67-68 Eldorados and Toronados and the "automatic" climate control never worked and is complicated to repair. 

For me, when it comes to old cars, I am in it for style, for the chewy experience of driving the old car on streets and enjoying the feel of it, when we all own modern cars.  When do I need A/C?  In Iowa, from about mid June to early September.  In those months, driving it would be uncomfortable. 

My issue is with the price.  $14,000 is too high for a Calais.  #2, I can not tell if this is a B pillar car or a 4 door hardtop.  I would have to have a 4 door hardtop.  B pillars suck in the 4 door hardtop era.   If it's a 4 door hardtop, then there is very little visual difference between a Calais and SDV.  If this car panned out, and I do appreciate the inspection comments, then I would go $9000.  $14K, as we have seen, buys a lot of car in this market. 

Just my 2 cents worth - I would own it, but need to get it at the "right" price.

• Like 1

This '66 Calais is the B-pillared hardtop sedan, shared the body with Buick Electra and Oldsmobile 98 Luxury Sedan.  The telltale is the roof quarter, they're a more formal style with less rake than the four door hardtop Sedan de Ville.

17 hours ago, C Carl said:

Ad says "all options work."  Particularly reassuring in this case. "Optional equipment is : Signal-Seek AM radio". Trust you may, but I recommend you VERIFY the functionality of ALL them there options during your test drive.     -    CC 

I suspect that is this car's ONLY option!!

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I suspect that is this car's ONLY option!!

Craig

Yes, that is the case, Craig :

19 hours ago, C Carl said:

"all options work."  

Is a direct quotation from the ad, and :

19 hours ago, C Carl said:

"Optional equipment is : Signal-Seek AM radio". 

Is a direct quotation from "Special Features" in the VEHICLE APPRAISAL above.

As B Jake' points out, $14,000 buys a lot of car these days. This thing may be rare in that it is a phenomenally stripped down "Kitty", but I don't see rarity in this case being a virtue. Ya know : now that I think more about this lightweight, maybe you guys are on to something here. Yup. Funeral car. Stressed-out, grieving family, dressed in black, hot and sweating during a Summer funeral. Brother of the departed has a heart attack while sweltering in the luxury of a new Caddy. Positive feedback loop augmenting the bottom line for the funeral home. (Oh, ain't dat Cadillac Carl clever dis mornin'  !!!!).    -    CC 

A car targeted right at that 1930's depression survivor that had his money stashed in his mattress.

Up in these parts a farmer would sell off some acreage to a housing developer and call up the Buick or Cadillac dealer asking for the cheapest thing they had. They always had a "strip job" on hand for those old tight wads.

If GM thought could have put an Olds or Chevy engine in a Caddy they'd be all for that as well.

Bernie

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If GM thought could have put an Olds or Chevy engine in a Caddy they'd be all for that as well.

That ultimately happened a little over a decade later.  This car is from a much better era for GM when each five brands were well marked with their own distinctive niche, and loyal owners.  In 1965, Chevrolet introduced the Caprice, first as a trim package for the Impala and starting in 1966, a standalone model.  This might have been the start of 'brand dilution' GM when each division started to spectacularly overlap each other on the pricing ladder. 

If someone has a copy of Encyclopedia of American Cars, which has the prices of each make and model, they can tell us how close this base 1966 Cadillac Calais with one option compares with a loaded 1966 Chevrolet Caprice pricewise. 

Craig

19 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

My issue is with the price.  $14,000 is too high for a Calais.  #2, I can not tell if this is a B pillar car or a 4 door hardtop.  I would have to have a 4 door hardtop.  B pillars suck in the 4 door hardtop era.   If it's a 4 door hardtop, then there is very little visual difference between a Calais and SDV.  If this car panned out, and I do appreciate the inspection comments, then I would go $9000.  $14K, as we have seen, buys a lot of car in this market. 

You can also buy the cheapest, base model 1963 Studebaker Lark, also in black for the same price: https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/annville-1963-studebaker-lark/7154716243.html

Craig

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Up in these parts a farmer would sell off some acreage to a housing developer and call up the Buick or Cadillac dealer asking for the cheapest thing they had. They always had a "strip job" on hand for those old tight wads..

Bernie

The low-optioned Series 62 and successor Calais were popular travel-trailer tow cars in the early 1970's when I worked at a campground in the Colorado mountains while in college.  They would arrive from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas driven by folks who were by then finally prosperous Depression-era survivors who allowed themselves the Cadillac they'd long coveted but still frugal so a Calais was Cadillac enough.  Not surprisingly, most did spring for air conditioning, but no other frivolous power options. 

• Like 1