Conversion to 6v alternator. Overdrive wire ?

kdancy

I am converting a 51 pacemaker over to a 6v alternator, thus eliminating the external inner fender mounted voltage regulator.
Can someone tell me where now to hook up the OD relay wire that went from od relay #3 post to the generator regulator ARM post on the regulator?

I cannot tell you where the wire goes, but I read more postings on the various forums I am active on from people having issues with Generator to Alternator conversions then from people just correctly maintaining their original generators and regulators properly.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kdancy said:
1 hour ago, Vila said:

I cannot tell you where the wire goes, but I read more postings on the various forums I am active on from people having issues with Generator to Alternator conversions then from people just correctly maintaining their original generators and regulators properly.

Well duh!  Those of us who have NO problem see no need to post. Just because we don't does not mean we are in the minority.

Ben

• Like 4

I don't claim to be a Hudson expert, but the "A" (Armature) terminal on the regulator is used to provide +6V to the GEN idiot light and ground when the generator is not working (or when the engine is not running). This is common to how alternators operate also (unless the OP is using one of the goofy "one wire" alternators). As an alternative, any +6V source that is only hot when the engine is running will serve the same purpose.

charging-circuit-diagram-for-the-1950-hudson-all-models-except-commodore-6.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Doesn't a 1 wire alternator only indicate that it is internally regulated?

All one wire alternators are internally regulated, but not all internally regulated alternators are one wire. More to the point, we have no idea what type of alternator the OP has. It could be an externally regulated unit.

• 2 years later...

Basically, what you have to do is connect the overdrive solenoid to a source that is only on when the key is on or the engine running.  The purpose of connecting it to the ARM terminal is that there is only power there when the engine is running. The alternator wire is hot at all times so wouldn't be good.  I think any accessory that is only on when the key is on would be ok. If you want to be fancy you could put a relay in the circuit which would be easier on the ignition switch.  I don't know about the pertronix. Grounding it out might not be good for it. Anyone done that?

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

First: do you have a positive ground alternator? normal alternators are negative ground.  You could have either. Don't connect it backwards!  Anyway, ground is not really relevant here. 

it looks like the only switched power is the connection off the ignition switch that goes to the coil. Add a wire to the switch, not the coil terminal. This will go to one side of the relay primary coil, the other side to ground.  The power to the overdrive on the secondary side of the relay should come from a  powered source, not the coil wire, so the BATT connection on the switch, or the hot line on the horn relay. Probably handier.  the other side is the overdrive wire.  Hope this helps.  I can make a diagram if you need. 

Yes I do have positive ground alternator it is a powermasterunit.  Oldtech would be very appreciative if you do a quick diagram.

I also believe the generator light will be staying on with the alternator installed do you know of any way to stop this?

Thank you

Thanks

Steven

Edited by Stevepet
extra info (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I saw on YOU TUBE  a school tech teacher did a complete demonstration on installing a one wire alternator on an antique car . He was showing how to hook up other wires from the old regulator to transmission or  something, He used # 4 wires on the output and ground.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oldtech your idea worked a treat. Used a wire from acc to control solenoid overdrive now works. At first couldnt get it to work but then it hit positive groud. Duh swapped relay wires around Presto it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Steven