push rods inspection 1940 Buick “what the hell”

Robby120113

Goodmorning all,

SInce i have a nasty tick sound in my engine i inspected the valve lash and looks good. But i notice 1 push rod is bent and 2 push rods are not able to turn, i can move them byt hand just a little bit but they dont turn 360 degrees. Now i want to inpect them. I have a 1940 special so i asume i have mechanical valve lifters. Can i just remove the valve cover, make the valve lash bigger and push away the rocker and lift up the pushrod? Or will the valve lifter not come out together? I want to do the inspection toninght because a company needs to know the size of the pushrod so i can order them. Dont have many Buick parts in the Netherlands.

Thanks all for the help!

Edited by Robby120113 (see edit history)

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

You want pages 129 (6-13) to 131 (6-15) [section 07]

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

You can remove the valve cover and rocker arm assembly to then remove the push rods. The very last push rod won’t come out because of interference with the firewall. You’ll need to jack  the engine around to do that. If you remove the lifter access cover on the side of the engine (behind the distributor), you can then lift the lifters out for inspection, too. 

If someone has worked on the rocker arms  and shaft, whey can be assembled incorrectly. All the rocker arms are not the same. If done wrong, the pushrod will rub an edge of the hole it goes through, in the head,  and bend (or break) the pushrod.

Be sure the pushrod is centered on the hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well. Yesterday i was totally freaked out. I have the car for a few weeks. But didnt expect this. What could have caused this?? I called the seller for help in this matter. 3 or so are bent slightly and three are bent to such extent the i cannot get the even out of the enigine. So have to bent them in shape a bit. Unbelieveble that the car still drove. 

61E3F82B-A4D4-45F8-BA39-2DF477D76B7D.jpeg

C9E9B0F2-C428-46D2-89B5-981CFDC88F93.jpeg

The problem is not the push rods. The problem is what the push rods are trying to push. Either your rockers are stuck or the valve guides are. Take the rocker arm shaft assembly out and see if everything is loose. It probably is. Now that you know the valves are stuck, take the head off and get it rebuilt.

• Like 2

@morganwrite

hi. How is it possible that when i did all the valves backlash all looked good. I let the engine idle with the valve cover taken off. All the valves moved and nothing look wrong. Compression per cilinder is also still good. And driving went good except the extra ticking sound in the engine. 

12 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

I wonder if maybe they have been bent a long time, maybe since before an old valve job when the valves were stuck.

This would be my guess as well. The car probably came out of storage, someone tried to start it without checking to make sure everything was loose, the pushrods bent because the valves were stuck, eventually the valves became unstuck, and then they reset valve clearances with the bent pushrods in place. Good enough to make it run, but obviously causing a lot of problems. Those are junk, you can safely cut them out of the engine and drop new ones in place.

Call Doug S. at 440-835-1193. He will have a good set of pushrods for you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Kikta said:

It was caused (twice) over 20 years from old gas making the valves stick.

Actually the cause is the car sitting, sometimes for years.  They were built to be driven.  In the old days when people did not drive in the winter most cars started right up in the spring with no damage done.  Today many cars sit for years and if they are driven they are not driven long enough or hard enough to keep everything free and clean inside.

Drive them and they will almost last forever.

12 hours ago, Robby120113 said:

Indeed. I cannot find the push rods here in the Netherlands. And oldbuickparts also have no stock. So have the car for 3 weeks and already cannot drive it anymore for a period of time. Does anyone know an address that have these parts?

Dont panic! Ill send photos of some new ones for 1940 Buick. One problem with pushrods  in 1940 is the firewall overhangs the back of the engine right over the last /rear pushrod which means you must remove the cylinder head only part way while pulling up on the push rod to get enuff clearane. More dtails later must sleep now!

This is all too familiar to me. My ‘41 arrived to me when purchased with one broken and one bent push rod. Took me a while to discover. The engine had been rebuilt and the valve train looks new so I have no idea how this happened. The broken rod could be lifted out from the top when the rocker was loosened but I had to beat the bent one back straight enough to clear the cavity and be able to be lifted out the top. Got replacements from Bill (?) Tacheny who is a great resource. 

218C8C98-75F2-48BC-B42E-CE167277A60A.jpeg

CA17B0A5-3803-407C-B50A-180585F9E45D.jpeg

Edited by valk (see edit history)

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Dave Tacheny

And in case he does not answer the cell number posted when he does not recognize the caller's number, you can typicaly reach him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427-3460.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, Robby120113 said:

I emailed them since i cannot find the parts on the webshop. And will also try to call Doug. 

thanks for the help guys. 

20200717_184340.thumb.jpg.a9b51f15b5a4f54011f6787d4b349e01.jpg16 cleaned straight push rods for 1940 Buick 248" 40.00 plus shpg whatever that is to your address. Lemme know. Anything else?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Robby120113 said:

i send you a pm with my shipping details

thank you very much

The push rods are presented at a rock bottom price! Please check for shipping price from your end when I pm you my address.  Thanx for respecting my time! Literally trying to do a favor here just in case someone mistakes a $40.00 sale as a big profit situation!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Robby120113 said:

Sounds interesting. Can you let me know when i can call you or you can help me how we can arrange shipping for the pushrods?

thanks!

I sent my shipping address. Please let me know when and how you want them shipped. I cannot spend more time bcuz Im offering the parts at a price that doesnt include spending more of my time also researching the optimal shipping method. Let me know what you find and I will ship after payment. Thanx

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

All you need to do is put them in a box ready to ship, go to the post office and fill out the shipping label, hand it to the person at the counter and they will give you the price to ship and off it goes.  Easy Easy

33 minutes ago, Mark Kikta said:

All you need to do is put them in a box ready to ship, go to the post office and fill out the shipping label, hand it to the person at the counter and they will give you the price to ship and off it goes.  Easy Easy

But i live in the netherlands. And the parts are in the usa 😁 but at this moment Greg is helping 👍🏻

On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, Robby120113 said:

But i live in the netherlands. And the parts are in the usa 😁 but at this moment Greg is helping 👍🏻

Greg shipped pushrods 2day! I dont know what came over me to move that fast(greed!?), caffiene? Combo?Addresses being so differently stated as far as sequence caused some wrinkled brows for me and counter person, but its on its way, so hoping for blue skys and fair winds! Thanx Robby, hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, Robby120113 said:

Normally not much of an issue, the only gotcha is that quite often things will be packed in an oversized USPS box that costs like $20 to ship domestically but $120 to ship internationally (the 12x12" boxes for instance)

• 2 months later...