I had the rear floorboard on my touring car off recently and noticed that the in-line, see through fuel filter I installed (4 -5 years ago, a few hundred miles driving) looked a bit dark.  I replaced it today and cut the old one open.  If you haven't re-sealed your tank, I think this is pretty convincing that a $4 filter is well worth installing.  I'm quite surprised the vacuum tank was still able to pull fuel through this...  The fuel tank did have a fair amount of black crumbly stuff that I assume was gasoline remains from a long time ago and I did have the tank boiled out when cleaning things up (with body off), including a new fuel line.  But I didn't seal the tank since it didn't/doesn't leak.  It appears I may want to do that.  Can anyone recommend a tank sealer that stands up to 10% ethanol?

Fuel filter.jpg

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hey Mike, I gotta check my tourer's tank tomorrow. I cleaned mine out 6 or 7 years ago, seems OK, but I have no inline filter! Haven't checked it lately. I sealed a '27 Packard tank years ago using Bill Hirsch's tank sealer with much success.  As I recall, the old amber colored sealer is not alcohol proof, as the sealer I used in the Packard IS alcohol proof, as it was a thinner, white color. Ran it for years with absolutely no problems. Bill has passed on but his company is still going strong. See internet; "Bill Hirsch Auto", A pint of his sealer is $22. He's sold thousands by now I imagine. --best regards, Pete K.

When you say " boiled out", exactly how did they do it? That is a lot of crude for being done the right way and rinsed out. I think I would empty the tank and use a hi pressure washer to clean it again. You can take the drain plug out and catch the junk in a cloth in a funnel to see what is in there. 

I suspect it wasn't very thoroughly done although it appeared clean from what I could see.  I now have a bore scope and can take a closer look.