Greetings! -

This repeats a topic/project which is on the main AACA forum, but perhaps there will be more interested viewers here.  Since mid-June, there has been 10 SAH and AACA members exchanging emails on this topic and there are tangible results.  See:

http://carlibrary.org/CarLibrary-AutoHistory.htm

This webpage has links to a prototype "Auto History Resource Guide".   The Guide now has summaries and reviews of nearly 30 history resources .

The current Google Sheet format is not very "user-friendly", but our goal is to copy the data to a solid database.

There also is demonstration of improving the identification of historic photos, using 1952 factory photos of Frazer Nash cars:

http://carlibrary.org/CarLibrary-MetadataDemo.htm

Yes, it's all about "embedded metadata".  Worth reading!

Bob S.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Bob for those links,

Over here in Australia we are also very concerned about the proper management and future of our automotive history. I have forwarded those links on to colleagues and friends here who will be most interested as we are commencing discussions about how to assist and guide collectors, researchers and curators here. We had hoped to set-up a more formal discussion of the topic later this year at our Automotive Historians Australia gathering but Covid has put play to that for now. 

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, thank you for the post. This is a multifaceted topic! For example, I appreciate the goal of encouraging "coordination of digitization efforts at all levels to avoid duplication." There's a fair amount of duplication going on with regards to automotive marketing literature. I don't know if there is a solution, but it might help to cultivate a conversation about it.

Meanwhile, a lot of good work has been done to collect personal histories, but they don't always make it into digital form. An example of that is the Automobile in American Life and Society website. It lists more than 100 oral histories with automotive designers and executives but less than two-dozen are available online. This would appear to be a goldmine of useful content. Thus, I wonder what it would take to get the rest of the interviews digitized. A small grant, perhaps?

-- Steve S.