We’re Pretty Small...Be Careful Out There!

keithb7

I drove my ‘38 to work today. I parked in between 2 modern trucks. I noticed the parking spots seemed much wider when I’m in the ‘38. Its easier to get out and open the doors too!

Also a reminder that my ‘38 is pretty compact compared to modern trucks. Best to pay extra care and attention when driving.  We’d be crushed by these modern beasts. 

AEDCD4E9-0405-4FE6-B7D8-3BAF3AEF1D61.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 11

When I take one of my old cars to the supermarket , mall, movie theater, wherever, I try to park in a safe isolated spot away from everyone else. It seems whenever I return to the car I'm parked in on both sides and front or back. Fortunately, I've never noticed a mark on any car. 

• Like 2

I never thought about any old car being small ( with exceptions like the American Austin and Bantam, perhaps the Willys 77) . But with the loss of a full size station wagon from the regular car line - mini vans appeared, these were/are ok but the full size wagon could see the tail gate lay out and longer stuff fit  in , with them gone the use of full size ( and 4 door) pickup trucks met the need that an SUV couldn't . I still like full size station wagons  - my first two decades of life were spent in a 1949 Pontiac and then a 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagon.

• Like 2

While we're comparing modern full-size pickup trucks to vintage vehicles...has anyone else noticed how darn HIGH the bed sides are on these new trucks? I"m over 6'1" tall, and I can barely reach the bed floor by reaching over the bed sides...and even then I can only reach the first few inches around the edge. I have to keep a small rake in the bed to reach things and drag them out to me. That sure is different from trucks of yesterday! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lump said:

has anyone else noticed how darn HIGH the bed sides are on these new trucks? 

I noticed, and I agree that the high bed sides are 

undesirable.  You can't load something over the

side rails any more.  I would not get such a truck.

Park a 1980's truck next to a current version and

the difference is clear.

Trucks are meant to be USED.  What is so good about

a truck whose usefulness is compromised?

• Like 5

Driving my 34 Chevy coupe has been an interesting experience. All my previous prewar cars were large sedans and my other hobby car, a 66 Dodge Monaco wagon is more than 18 feet long. This little Chevy reminds me of driving a Honda Civic only in a much more vulnerable way. I live in Texas so you can imagine what most of the other vehicles on the road are. When I had it out the other morning I stopped at a light and had jacked up trucks on both sides and behind, felt like I was in a shipping container!

4.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Great comparison photo!  My son took this photo which also illustrates the same idea.

And note that the Mini is parked in front of a Prius!

New cars have gotten gigantic. We've had a series of late-model Challengers (Demons and Hellcats) recently and they're HUGE. I mean, my '76 Eldorado felt smaller from behind the wheel than one of these things. Very hard to maneuver around the showroom because you're sitting in a dark hole with gunslits for windows and there's still about an acre of car around you. Impossible to know where the nose is.

Everyone gawks and seems amazed by how "big" older cars are, but man, look at the size of this thing compared to mid-sized cars of the '60s:

20200617_165811.thumb.jpg.4139320af241390ca40e3473a6019e64.jpg

They must have found a way to circumvent the laws of physics, because nothing that big and heavy (~4200 pounds) and bulky should be so terrifyingly fast. Man it's a handful to maneuver around.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, lump said:

While we're comparing modern full-size pickup trucks to vintage vehicles...has anyone else noticed how darn HIGH the bed sides are on these new trucks? I"m over 6'1" tall, and I can barely reach the bed floor by reaching over the bed sides...and even then I can only reach the first few inches around the edge. I have to keep a small rake in the bed to reach things and drag them out to me. That sure is different from trucks of yesterday! 

I work construction, one of my pet peeves was guys reaching over the bedside to get stuff in and out of the truck, especially with a tool belt on. I told them often that to access the bed of the truck to use the tailgate, if they climbed over the side they were fired!

• Like 2

I had my 38 parked in the Home Depot lot where no other cars were parked. When I came out a guy was looking at my fender and told me he saw a White F250 pull out and clip the fender with his front bumper. Then took off. So yes the big guys can easily damage our old little cars, even when they are not too little. The fellow that saw it happen couldn’t get the trucks license plate but was nice enough to wait for me and let me know what happened. 

D4AF1BDF-CCBD-4E71-BE62-4992E048F833.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

Great comparison photo!  My son took this photo which also illustrates the same idea.

E10FDC1F-DC34-452C-8D8C-DEE097176188.jpeg

Here's a remarkable parallel--a similar picture

taken decades ago showing a 1947 Crosley

parked between two standard-sized cars.

Both pictures even show palm trees lining the street.

(I got the picture from the files of the AACA Library

and used it to illustrate a Crosley article.)

1947 Crosley betw large cars.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Only touching on a real problem. I had to quit driving Fieros because the roofline was under the windowsill of the behemouth next to me. They would look over and see an empty lane on the right. AirHorns were a survival necessity. 'verts have the same issue with the top down but at least an SLK is more visible than a Fiero. Can't imagine trying to drive a super low exotic in today's traffic.

ps when I bought the CTS coupe I looked at the Charger/Challenger line but were just too big. At least the CTS was originally designed for european roads.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Speaking of small and large. Our real Mini beside our 1st pretend Mini, our later pretend Mini convertible and our "full-sized" Studebaker beside our "mid-sized, used to be usable compact" Ranger. I can rest my chin on the tailgate of this thing...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

backtobackmini.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

I’ve had my '33 two door sedan for a few decades now. When I first got it back in the 1970s I could park it in any shopping center parking lot and when I came out of the store it was clearly visible above all the sedans and station wagons. Nowadays it is invisible, hidden by all the oversized pickup trucks and vans.

• Like 1

It’s all in your perspective.  Our Daughter has a Toyota Car & when her 15 year old daughter saw our 1967 Mustang the first time, she commented how big it was.  My wife attempted to explain that in the 60s it was a small car.  As for parking, It is nice that people usually park away from us.

• Like 1

Even trucks were smaller...

I like this picture.

It's forced perspective and really emphasizes the difference, but my 1969 C10 is a LOT smaller than my 2018 Ram 1500.

44626969732_df2eda53c0_b.jpg

• Like 4

I am another who thinks that modern trucks are too large. I was on the Ford lot ogling the F150s but they are huge...seem to be about the size the F350 used to be or maybe a bit bigger. There's no small pickups now...even the Ranger is too large. 

I generally like being higher up, seeing more out the windows. But this is too much.

• Like 1

One of the few times I have been able to park my Pierce next to something like a Ford Model A I never seem to have my camera or a phone handy.

Sitting next to my Pierce, a Model A roadster looks like it would fit in the back seat of my Pierce.

I can see over the top of the roof of a Model A coupe.

No way that is happening with my Pierce.

But today's trucks are getting bigger.

They are not only taller than they used to be but much wider as well.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

Seems that the big 3 that survived (at least somewhat) have a captive market. Big trucks. They are done competing for any compact market share. The Asian car manufacturers have won that war. Asian manufacturing are even trying to take a stab at big trucks. The Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan,  etc. They are not having much effect. So the big 3 just keep making them bigger. It keeps them in business it seems! 

Me? I still prefer old Detroit iron. Very old. 

Know what you mean. My friend has one of those HUGE International XT pickups; 9 feet tall and 14 thousand pounds. When he pulls into a Walmart it seems like all the "jacked up" Big 3 pickup drivers are stunned to realize someone else can pee a foot higher up the wall. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

New rule to live by: protect your sheet metal, park way, way out on the far side of the parking lots where no one else will and get more walking exercise!

I park like that all the time -- and I drive a beater most days.

Still doesn't work.  I parked in the back 40 of the Home Depot lot some time ago because I knew I was coming out with a load of lumber and wanted room to load up.  When I walked in, there wasn't a vehicle within 20 spaces in any direction.  Sure enough, some jackwagon parked his lifted truck right next to me (so now there was one vehicle within 20 spaces).  I mean right next to me; I couldn't even squeeze between my quarterpanel and his (yeah, he was at an angle and his rear wheel was in my space).  So I contorted myself into the door, pulled up a few feet, got everything strapped in, took back the cart,  grabbed my valve tool from the console, unscrewed the core in his front tire, and left to the dulcet tones of hissing air.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, lump said:

You can order a factory lowering kit on Fords, that drop the entire truck down three or four inches. I agree that they are getting very tall, which is a result of larger load and towing capacity ratings. The fifth wheel guys are getting over the top in size and weight.

When we had the TR-6 in the mid 80s, the huge SUV, truck thing was not the rage, and it didn't seem quite do small.  Tiny though, for sure.  The SL is giant compared to a TR, I know they are different types of car but both two seaters.  That said, one on my service guys is into "baby birds" and when our SL was parked next to one of those it made the SL look tiny.

21 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I noticed, and I agree that the high bed sides are 

undesirable.  You can't load something over the

side rails any more.  I would not get such a truck.

Park a 1980's truck next to a current version and

the difference is clear.

Trucks are meant to be USED.  What is so good about

a truck whose usefulness is compromised?

I don't understand why some buy huge trucks that don't ever get used.

I have a 2018  Ram that sits pretty high and like all the other trucks I've owned over the decades I find I always have to climb in and out of the bed to load or unload no matter what year the truck was/is... And no matter what, there's always that one damned tool or part that gets stuck in the middle of the bed that I can never reach from the ground... 

7 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I park like that all the time -- and I drive a beater most days.

Still doesn't work.  I parked in the back 40 of the Home Depot lot some time ago because I knew I was coming out with a load of lumber and wanted room to load up.  When I walked in, there wasn't a vehicle within 20 spaces in any direction.  Sure enough, some jackwagon parked his lifted truck right next to me (so now there was one vehicle within 20 spaces).  I mean right next to me; I couldn't even squeeze between my quarterpanel and his (yeah, he was at an angle and his rear wheel was in my space).  So I contorted myself into the door, pulled up a few feet, got everything strapped in, took back the cart,  grabbed my valve tool from the console, unscrewed the core in his front tire, and left to the dulcet tones of hissing air.

KongaMan - sorry. But that is vandalism. 

He may have been an ass for parking so close, but you were a bigger ass for leaving the guy with a flat tire.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1