There are still good deals out there....

keiser31

I'd give my eye teeth (I think I still have those) for one of these for my CD8 Roadster. I see prices are all over the map on eBay for them, $150-$750 depending on condition. Will send a PM and try twisting your arm! I would prefer to find a plain CD8 winged base (without gazelle) in similar condition, seems even harder to find.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Got this 1931 Chrysler leaping gazelle radiator cap today for my display case.

I'm thinking that would look a lot nicer on the front on my DeSoto than in your display case. A lot more people will see it and I'll even give it back when I'm done with it. Please????? :D

26 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I'm thinking that would look a lot nicer on the front on my DeSoto than in your display case. A lot more people will see it and I'll even give it back when I'm done with it. Please????? :D

I don't think the base is very close to fitting the DeSoto radiator.

IMG_8470 (2).JPG

• Like 1

As you know, the 8cyl Chrysler rad caps were quite a bit larger diameter than the 6's although they used the same gazelle. Many may not know that the first series of 1931 Chrysler CD8's came with rad shell painted body color over top of factory chrome with only the raised beading left in chrome, supposedly to make hood look longer, copying from L-29 Cord etc,. As emulated in my pictures below, I added some electric tape to look at overall effect. I also show the plain winged cap as well as a rough Gazelle cap. Since my car is a first series Canadian built car (based on serial number), I plan to have rad shell body color, and use the plainer winged cap. I understand customers raised a fuss about body color radiator shell and within a few months all shells were full chrome. TMI!

IMG_5016 (1).JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

• Like 1

With that screw it would be easy to adapt though. This DeSoto has a custom built aluminum radiator. It appears to use all the original mounting holes and is the original shape. BUT it uses a standard radiator cap. If you every run across an old radiator cap like that please let me know as there isn't many places around here that those would show up at.  The standard cap looks a little funky out in front of that long hood. 

20200713_211610.thumb.jpg.0bceb272f01e6e53a51410d9cc343bd3.jpg