57 ford fairlane 500 question

Graveyard

Got a chance to buy a 57 500 in good shape,52,000 orginal miles,very little bondo on the bottom quarters an rockers maybe a hand full.The car has no powersteering or power brakes but has the 292 engine and has been restored about 4 or 5 yeras ago,it is showing some rust on the bumpers,and a blister here and there on the doors,other than that no rust and the car is got custom interior that needs nothing ready to go on the inside stiil looks new.The car will need tires and brakes gone throught and a good cleaning and you could drive it then. Starts before you can get your hand off the key and dont smoke a drop,has the lake pipes,continental kit,but it is a FOUR DOOR car.I know it is hard without pic but i can text you some if you would leave me a number but i dont know the market now and i was wondering if it is worth 9,000 dollars please,any info will help.All chrome is good and there and windows is good hubcaps and all are there with the fender skirts also.I run a magnet over it and that is how i found very litter filler on it car is very very clean,paint is still a 7 out of 10 pretty good.

Edited by Graveyard
extended title (see edit history)

If you want it and like it and $9000 is worth it to you, then that's an answer. You are the only person who gets to decide what the car is worth to you. What we think isn't relevant, it isn't our money.

You could ask yourself what else can you get for that money, and there are probably a lot of choices. Is this car better or worse than its competition in the marketplace? Do you prefer 1957 Fords for some reason? Is that car special to you, or is this just a candidate because you have a certain amount of money to spend and want an old car and this one just happened to float past? Have you looked at other cars to get a barometer of the quality you get for under $10,000?

That can all affect what something is worth to someone. But again, if you're happy with the car and what you spent on it, that's the only thing that matters. Asking guys on the internet to speculate will only make you doubt your decision, regardless of which way you go. Trust your instincts. If the car will make you happy and you can afford it, then what have you got to lose? You're buying fun, not an investment, so worrying about future value is just spinning your tires. Get in, have your fun, let the future take care of itself.

Good luck!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well written Matt Harwood. All points spot on. The car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you are happy with the price, then go for it. Will you be able to re-sell and recoup or make money? Who Knows? 

It does sound like it may need a little going over so if your all in budget is 9k you may want to negotiate a bit for some new tires, etc. If you cant afford a motor rebuild, unless your a competent mechanic, I would take one and have them go over the motor as well.  I dont know the exact values for those cars, but you can look up Hemmings and check for comparibles. Keep in mind, just because someone is asking doesnt mean they will get it. Also, if all you can find are 2 doors I would deduct a bit for it being a 4 door model.

Good Luck, Have Fun.

I have to go with Matt.  I’m not a Ford guy and I prefer twenties and thirties cars, so I wouldn’t consider paying 9 grand for this car.  But what do you care, since my opinion is irrelevant to your final decision?  If I was a fifties Ford guy, I would look for a two door, but maybe you want to drive the kids or grandkids around and a more door suits your needs better.  I like an original car, so the pipes and seats bother me, but maybe you’re a big fan of mild customs.  If it’s worth 9 grand to you, buy it and enjoy it.  I would be a bit worried about rust issues - a small amount of Bondo can cover a multitude of sins.  Carefully check the floors, the trunk floor and the area around the headlights on the front fenders.  And take a close look at the rockers.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lebowski said:

Did he say he was firm on the $9k? If not bring cash over there and flash $7500 in his face. There's a good chance he'll take it or at least come down to $8k. You have nothing to lose by asking. Good luck....

After seeing the pics you should offer him no more than $5k for it. If he says no then keep looking.... 

I like the 57 Fords and have looked at many over the years. This is the first 4 door with a kit I have ever seen. Wonder if a 4 door could be ordered with a continental kit or if it was added?

The combo of continental kit, pipes, skirts, custom interior on a four door sedan is a bit odd, but as Matt said, does it turn your crank.  The exterior modes are bolt-on, so no big issue as far as broader appeal.  the interior is another matter - i would rate it as equal in value to a car with seat covers.

10 hours ago, Fleek said:

I like the 57 Fords and have looked at many over the years. This is the first 4 door with a kit I have ever seen. Wonder if a 4 door could be ordered with a continental kit or if it was added?

I think it was ordered like that is what he said because it is a factory kit.

3 hours ago, Graveyard said:

I think it was ordered like that is what he said because it is a factory kit.

The Continental kit is NOT a factory option. The dealer may have added it or done at a later date.

• Like 1

I will agree with junkyardjeff $9k for a '57 Ford 4 door sedan is top money so the car would have to be basically perfect.  Start looking on ebay, craigslist, this site, Hemmings, cars online and more and see what you can get for $9k there are some really nice cars out there for that price.

I would wait for the car that gave me heart palpitations and gave me anxiety worrying I couldn't bet back with the cash in time.

Asking a bunch of strangers their opinion a week ago would make me think there is something else out there that would really ring the bell, probably show up a week after you bought that one.

Bernie

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I would wait for the car that gave me heart palpitations and gave me anxiety worrying I couldn't bet back with the cash in time.

Asking a bunch of strangers their opinion a week ago would make me think there is something else out there that would really ring the bell, probably show up a week after you bought that one.

Bernie

👌

Matt is right, if you like it, enjoy it.   In 1957 Ford outsold 57 Chevrolets,   but you don't often see them because they had horrible rust problems

and lost value quickly as used cars.  I bought a 6 year old 57 Ford Conv. in 1963 on a soldiers' s budget and it was a rust buckett then.