Congratulations -significant accomplishment

Terry Bond

Our Tidewater Region has long been blessed with strong leadership, often bred thorough a military background. 

Congratulations are in order to another one of our members currently immersed in their military careers.  

I'm proud to let everyone know that our AACA Region newsletter co-editor (The Mudflap) Ken Packard was recently selected to a Submarine Command position. 

He is following in the footsteps of another of our Tidewater Region leaders (and past president) Ivan Joslin (Captain, USN, Retired) who commanded one of the last Diesel powered submarines on active service.  

We're proud of our military veterans and active duty members in all branches of the service represented in this area who have made our club strong and thriving. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

The submarine community is very special.  It takes an extremely talented (and brave) individual to do that.  Throughout my own Navy career, I always was reminded there only two kinds of ships - submarines, and targets!

Terry

• Like 2

There are two theories about that - one is that in the initial days of submarines (pre-WWI), the sanitary facilities available on board were so primitive that the submarines were called pig-boats by the sailors who didn't sail on submarines but had to smell those that did.

The other one I've typically heard is that they were referred to derisively as "boats" by destroyer, cruiser, and battleship sailors because they were so small. In true submariner fashion, we adopted that, made it our own, and now call submarines "boats" to highlight the unique nature of the platform and those who serve onboard!

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

The submarine community is very special.  It takes an extremely talented (and brave) individual to do that.  Throughout my own Navy career, I always was reminded there only two kinds of ships - submarines, and targets!

Terry

Terry - that's a fact! I would also point out that all ships can sink once - only submarines can repeat the feat!

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 3

After taking some tests the Navy wanted me to be a nuclear technician aboard submarines. Following a visit to an old diesel electric sub I decided that wasn't the place for me for several reasons. 

The folks that live and work aboard them are a special breed and they deserve a lot of respect for what they do.

40 minutes ago, Ken_P said:

There are two theories about that - one is that in the initial days of submarines

Thank you for the reply. Always wondered about being called boats. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1