1948 Chrysler New Yorker - $12750 - Atlantic Highlands ds, NJ - Not Mine

1948 Chrysler New Yorker - $12750 - Atlantic Highlands ds, NJ

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/highlands-1948-chrysler-new-yorker/7154485068.html

Clean and mostly original, New Yorker, rare Highlander edition. Excellent driver. won best in class in a local show last year. The car has been gone through completely a few years ago. Seats and paint were re done in the mid 1990's. you can still get touch up paint for it. ( which I have ). New brakes. water pump, hoses, battery, tune up, etc with in the last 18 months. Original engine etc. It has a semi automatic transmission. ( requires a clutch to put it into either a high or low range for driving ) It's a nice car, and turns more heads than anything else on the road.  It is priced quite aggressively this week. I will be listing it in Hemmings this fall for more money when I have more time. Please don’t waste my time, and I won’t waste yours. Thankyou so much for looking. I’m going to pull it of the garage and drive it all this week.  I don’t have to sell it, or need the garage space, but I don’t have much time for the old girl anymore and it’s time for some one else to have this rare opportunity. Feel free to reach out. I’ll have more photos and videos soon.

Copy and paste in your email: 266966107b293c3d8c1d6012e9f0d819@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1948 Chrysler New Yorker sedan with Highlander plaid interior.

'48 Chrysler New Yorker NJ a.jpg

'48 Chrysler New Yorker NJ b.jpg

'48 Chrysler New Yorker NJ c.jpg

'48 Chrysler New Yorker NJ d.jpg

'48 Chrysler New Yorker NJ e.jpg

• Like 2

Another nice Highlander interior in what looks like a solid car at a reasonable price.  But it really needs the "deep-dish" stainless beauty rings on the wheels to look right with those wide whites.

• Like 3

I am immediately turned off by the seller's comments but it is a nice car and I do like these cars.   His price is not unreasonable but his machismo is.  Dare I say, I would almost prefer a Windsor.  That 6 cylinder has much better parts support and you would still get the same exterior (little shorter), interior and cool period feel.  I had a 1949 New Yorker club coupe though, and understand the appeal of the New Yorker in this era. 

Old tired looking wheels,  A little Mother's on a rag would shine up the paint on them and a touch up of the black Chrysler script on them would go a long ways to improving their tired look.  Whethe rthe tires are new or old,  they look old just because of the  lack of detailing to the wheels and caps. 

I just peeled the rubber off my 51 Dodge rims.  Bought all new whites and I'm doing a bunch of touch up and cleaning before mounting.  I still do it the old fashioned way with manual irons.  Though I did break down and buy a Cheap bead breaker and that was much easier than the spoon.  Mainly because I believe I let someone borrow my spoon and it never came back. 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Old tired looking wheels,  A little Mother's on a rag would shine up the paint on them and a touch up of the black Chrysler script on them would go a long ways to improving their tired look.

But to look really right, they need those deep dish beauty rings.

48NYbusinesscoupe.jpg.b2e0a2e76205cd4918e13639b5671054.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, neil morse said:

Another nice Highlander interior in what looks like a solid car at a reasonable price.  But it really needs the "deep-dish" stainless beauty rings on the wheels to look right with those wide whites.

I just sandblasted and did the rims on the 39 Chrysler found here.   This is the original color I found on the rims. The wide trim rings change everything

20200703_143552.jpg

20200616_193633.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

But to look really right, they need those deep dish beauty rings.

48NYbusinesscoupe.jpg.b2e0a2e76205cd4918e13639b5671054.jpg

To my eye, either clean the www's and get the beauty rings, or just go with blackwalls. My car looked like that when I got it (same color), and I put on new www's and rings. The car looks like it's rolling on glazed donuts.

Nice car, great interior!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I just sandblasted and did the rims on the 39 Chrysler found here.   This is the original color I found on the rims. The wide trim rings change everything

Yes, the rims look great on your '39 with the correct narrow beauty rings.  But the deep and wide rings were correct for '48.

PS: This obviously isn't the place, but have you posted any pics of your '39 elsewhere on the forums?  Looks like you're doing a great job on it.  I remember when it was advertised here.

I might have.  Bad memory.  I am just starting to wet sand with the paint with CLR and am very impressed with what is under it. Won't be show paint but amazing what is under rust.  Will start a thread if people are interested. Saturday was the maiden voyage after a good tune up and new tires and tubes. Turned into 30 miles rather quickly honestly !

• Like 3

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey ???

WHY IS THE CAR WEARING IOWA LICENSE PLATES??

We kept our boats at Atlantic Highlands - Hi-Mar Marina,

right at the base of Sandy Hook,

and also cruised across the Narrows to Brooklyn, NY to get a hot dog at Nathan's

• Like 1

First photo has Jersey plates. I'm guessing that the Iowa photos may be older. I noticed the same thing. Different color balance as well, suspect taken with a different camera. Perhaps the Iowa photos were taken by the person the New Jersey owner bought it from  I don't know why but I've seen a lot of Iowa plated cars around here...and not just passing through, I see the same cars repeatedly. (Poughkeepsie NY area) I actually idly wondered if maybe Iowa had some sort of automotive laws that made it advantageous to register it there, but decided I didn't care enough to look into it any further. 

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)

So the criticisms are no beauty rings and the ad's wording?!  :rolleyes:

OK, I'll play.  Yeah, the wheels are a little plain.  The wide rings may be correct but they look hot-roddy.  I prefer the narrow ones.  As for the ad, it describes the car enough to decide if it merits further inquiry.  I just ignore the sales-puffing.

Anyway, nice car.  I really like maroon on a big ol' cruiser like this, not in-your-face red but elegant pizzaz.  I've never been fond of the highlander upholstery.  It's a little too flamboyant but it is correct and coordinates well with the maroon exterior.

• Like 2

My point being in today's market you need to work a little to sell a 4 door 40's Mopar with so many options out there,  so you want it to present as best as it possibly can so it doesn't get passed over for the probably literally 100's of 4 door sedans currently on the market in the same price range or more so by a coupe that's presented even better for the same money.  It's a cool car if you look it over,  but I can't tell you how many cool cars I see a day without even looking for them.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey ???

WHY IS THE CAR WEARING IOWA LICENSE PLATES??

We kept our boats at Atlantic Highlands - Hi-Mar Marina,

right at the base of Sandy Hook,

and also cruised across the Narrows to Brooklyn, NY to get a hot dog at Nathan's

Man I miss stopping off at Nathans coming back from jersey with Dad...  

50 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Man I miss stopping off at Nathans coming back from jersey with Dad...  

Hey Brooklyn,

You made me go to the fridge to grab a couple of "NATHAN'S FAMOUS" hot dogs to cook as a quick snack - and yes, I shouldn't have done it just before dinner, but the power of suggestion is sometimes stronger than common sense!

Last October, on our way to Hershey and at his invitation, we left a few days early in order to visit a friend's Brass-era collection in Hillside, NJ. Prior to that the buddy who travels with me and shares my space noted that he had never been to NYC. Of course I took him to GROUND ZERO, my family's old neighborhood in Middle Village, Queens, and Nathan's and the boardwalk. That brought back memories of the old days with my grandparents at Brighton Baths, the daily entertainment, pools, and great times. We also took a drive to Atlantic Highlands, read the name of the commuters from that area who perished on 9-11, continued southbound along the shore to see the many changes at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, and then to my old apartment at Ocean & 2nd in Bradley Beach --  great memories and great times at the Jersey Shore - then on to Hershey, 2019 !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There used to be this semi mental homeless guy that always seemed to like his spot on the right side of Nathans. He was always talking to the fire hydrant or yelling at the telephone pole. But for years he was always there and we always bought him a dog and fries with a coke. It was like like you flipped his switch and he would have a conversation with like a hedge fund manager while he ate. We would turn onto surf avenue and there he would be. Year after year, 3 times a year,  till dad passed. And he remembered us. Been 12 years now since I was last there.  P.C.Richard roofing ( not the appliance place which my grandfather also started) roofed half of Coney Island I think starting in the 30's.  Richards Hardware started in Bensonhurst. 

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Since I recently acquired a 1948 Chrysler Saratoga I have been looking at old posts.

To the seller's ad and anyone in the future wording a similar ad.  Please let me assure you  that I have never wasted a sellers time for any reason. Even if I wanted the car and it was parked next door I would avoid it.

Cars have a way of absorbing the karma of previous owners and it is nice to know what you might be getting or avoiding.

Some sellers think that actually showing a car and doesn't sell is a waste of his time.

Anyone that is into sales know that one has to make an effort to make a sale.

I am immediately turned off by this "don't waste my time" comment, too bad for that seller, I won't even want to go look.

Putting that comment in his add is only wasting his own time.

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I am immediately turned off by this "don't waste my time" comment, too bad for that seller, I won't even want to go look.

Would you have gone and looked at it if that hadn't been in the ad? 

On 7/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Please don’t waste my time, and I won’t waste yours.

He probably could have worded it a little better but I can understand where he's coming from. Wanting to just visit about cars is fine and we've all done it but doing it during a sale probably isn't the best time. 

This car looks great. Perhaps a too fancy for me with all that chrome.

Posting a straightforward ad has always brought me the best buyers that show up promptly. I can only think of one time when a looker didnt buy what I was selling. That was because I wouldn't come close to his low offer.

• Like 1