aloha from hawaii. im building a 1925 db and want to put disc brakes on the front. anyone do something like this? i also want to convert it to a 5x114 hub. the motor was upgraded as well as added power steering. but in hawaii we need front brakes to pass a safety inspection. mahalo in advance.

I have never heard of a state requiring heavy modifications on an antique. The two wheel brakes were designed by engineers, not just something added without knowing consequences.  And they work quite well when maintained correctly. How do you plan to marry mechanical rear brakes to hydraulic front brakes? I'd sure like to see how you added power steering. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

i am lost. in hawaii we need to pass a vehicle safety inspection and have an additional reconstruction inspection. once modified, a recon inspector needs o confirm that the vehicle is safe.

we upgraded the engine to a 1994 dodge dakota 4 cylinder with power steering. it had a 5 speed manual transmission with a 200 dodge ram rear en that was shortened. the rear is ready for disc brakes. i just need to be able to pout disc on the front

front right side.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

trans.jpg

This forum is for original cars.  You need to go to the HAMB site for the information you are seeking.  Adapting disk brakes to wood wheels is not going to be easy and may possibly be dangerous if those are the wheels you are using (which I doubt).  Have you boxed or reinforced the frame to make up for the additional power that new engine is going to produce?  Your inspector may have something to say about that.  Most of us here cringe when we see an old car cut up like that.  The frame and body was never intended for that amount of power or speed.  What you may gain in ease of driving is offset by the loss of the joy of driving an original car with all its quirks and foibles.

• Like 5

The problem, with all due respect, is that you said that you "upgraded" the engine.  The majority of people that use this forum are thinking that you severely "downgraded" the car by destroying it's historical significance.

To the point above, if you're going to drive that engine, you need a different rear end and front end.  If you're trying to use the rest of the chassis as built by DB, you're headed for a dangerous combination.

I'm always amused by the fact that people have in their heads that disc brakes are the only kind that will stop a car.....

• Like 3

Apparently in Hawaii, a reconstructed car done as a hot rod need to pass a DOT type inspection for quaility like we do in Massachusetts. With that engine, and disk brakes, there is no way they will let the wood wheels fly......and yes, I know they are as strong as steel wheels. But the inspector will not.

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:37 AM, braddahjon said:

a 1925 db and want to put disc brakes on the front. anyone do something like this? i also want to convert it to a 5x114 hub.

3 hours ago, Taylormade said:

You need to go to the HAMB site for the information you are seeking.  Adapting disk brakes to wood wheels is not going to be easy and may possibly be dangerous if those are the wheels you are using (which I doubt).

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

With that engine, and disk brakes, there is no way they will let the wood wheels fly......

First post says wanting to switch to 5 lug front hubs, so that means he won't be using the wooden wheels.

As far as posting on Hamb, they might delete or close the thread due to the very modern motor, PS, etc (unless he does not mention it or show it)...  however they do let 5 speeds and disc swaps in, but in moderation. If there are too many of such threads started on a certain day, some get deleted according to statements made by moderators.  So, you almost are not welcomed anywhere except a street rod site.

Discs or drums could be done on that front axle if you machined the spindle snout to accept a rotor or newer drum hub, but the bad part is that there are no threaded holes or bosses on those spindles to bolt on a caliper bracket or a brake drum backing plate.  Then you'd be welding on the spindles and the inspectors will likely have a huge issue with that. 

Trying to swap on different spindles can prove to be a nightmare, as "King Pin Inclination" varies on most all brands of spindles, so then the camber will be wrong.  Swapping the entire axle is more promising, but then you'd have to find one that has the same pad location width for the stock twin leafs.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, edinmass said:

and yes, I know they are as strong as steel wheels

Pound for pound is the qualifier.

It is funny how people get twisted about mechanically or hydraulically operated brakes, single or dual master cylinders and drums or discs when the only fact that is really important is the number of square inches where the rubber meets the road.

I do wish this fellow good luck.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit mechanical front brakes from a DB of '27 - '28 vintage?  I guess the whole front axle would have to be swapped over and I imagine the widths are not identical.  And then the linkages... oh never mind...

I would imagine  the purists kind of make a new guy uncomfortable when he asks about something away from stock.

Maybe just moving on and not commenting would be more prudent.

I don't know if this guy moved it to the Hamb or just went away.

I am willing to offer up any info that I have to anyone.

I've been down many roads and learned a lot over the years, so I share regardless.

These forums are often well regarded  from all over the place as being friendly and fun. However it may be unfortunate to some that the OP wants to have some fun, and his project does in fact become more of a hot rod than a restoration.

At least he is concerned about his brakes (mandated or not) which is a benefit to everyone else on the road.

Aloha to you Braddajon  ;)

• Like 1

It is easier to buy/replace a DB with mechanical brakes on the rear wheels only with the factory 4 wheel hydraulic brakes of later models, mate.

Harry.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 1:52 AM, edinmass said:

Apparently in Hawaii, a reconstructed car done as a hot rod need to pass a DOT type inspection for quaility like we do in Massachusetts. With that engine, and disk brakes, there is no way they will let the wood wheels fly......and yes, I know they are as strong as steel wheels. But the inspector will not.

yes you are so right. someone who understands. the original engine was shot and it was decided to upgrade. the engine trans and rear end was all upgraded. unfortunately now i nee disc brakes up front to pass an inspection. can someone please link the hamb website you all speak of?

On 8/2/2020 at 1:52 AM, edinmass said:

1 hour ago, braddahjon said:

yes you are so right. someone who understands. the original engine was shot and it was decided to upgrade. the engine trans and rear end was all upgraded. unfortunately now i nee disc brakes up front to pass an inspection. can someone please link the hamb website you all speak of?

Here you go. Introduce yourself before asking them questions.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1