'39 Special Instrument Panel Bezel Removal

I have an annoying condition on my '39 Special in that the speedometer assembly is bouncing around inside of the housing.

It will work, but I have to wiggle the re-set cable of the trip-odometer until the assembly gets in the right position.  It will usually stay there until I re-set the trip odometer (which is also my fuel gauge, but that's another story.)

By analyzing a spare speedometer assembly it seems to me that behind the tan sheet metal plate the 2 screws holding the 2 pot metal halves of the assembly together have fallen out.

Brings me to the question - Is the instrument cluster glass & bezel a clip-in piece that can be pried out?  That would give me access to the aforementioned speedometer situation in what I think would be way easier than removing the dashboard to attack from the rear.

So - what am I up against?

The speedometer assembly, trip meter cable and all, comes out from the cowl ( forward ) side of the gauge cluster. Disconnect the cable, take the reset cable loose from the dash, remove the high beam indicator light ( there may be other lights ), remove the half dozen or so retaining screws that might already be gone,  and pull the speedo out of the housing. Bob H

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Bob.

To be clear....the glass cover and trim can be popped from the dashboard and the speedo cluster can be pulled from the front?

Edited by JRHaelig (see edit history)

No, the entire cluster assembly - speedo, the other four gauges, the glass, trim and housing comes out of the dash in one piece. Each of the gauges , including the speedometer, can be removed from the front, or cowl side of the housing, without taking the cluster out of the dash.  Bob H

17 hours ago, JRHaelig said:

Thank you. Bob.

To be clear....the glass cover and trim can be popped from the dashboard and the speedo cluster can be pulled from the front?

Ive only removed dash cluster as a unit. It mounts to the BACK side of the dash opening which has studs pointing toward the front and nuts to draw it up tight. 

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

Thank you, guys.

So my mission is to reach behind the dash, remove several machine screws/bolts and draw the cluster assembly down and out from behind the dashboard.

Sounds as tedious as I feared, but my long skinny arms are going to give me a good start.

I'm thinking removal of the cowl vent lever assembly under there would be helpful, too.

Before you remove the cluster from the dash take a look at the speedometer housing and make sure the screws that hold it to the cluster housing are intact. Also, there is no need to remove the cluster to get the speedometer out for service. There are six screws that hold the speedometer to the housing, see photo. Disconnect the cable and remove the high beam indicator light. You will also need to take the odometer reset cable loose ftron the dash. Bob H

Speedo Back (Medium).JPG

• Like 1