Nine old photos given to me in 2004

JD in CA

I started working on old cars in 2002.  Every weekend you would find me In the driveway, in or under one of my cars. (first photo)  In 2004, an elderly woman who walked the neighborhood in the morning stopped, and said since she knew I loved old cars had some old photos to give me.  They were photos of family of hers, and she said were taken in our local (Monterey) area.  

When the world stopped recently, I discovered the AACA web site and it has really been a comfort.  Just love the old photos especially.  So now I get a chance to see if anyone can help identify the cars.  I know there is one car in two photos, clean in the driveway, then dirty out driving it.  A few had inscriptions on the back, but not many.

“Joe - same day, same mud on the wheels”

”Grandma Hansen”

”mom and a lovely car”

Thanks in advance to all AACA’ers that chime in.  JD in CA

B7B261EA-E66D-4635-98B1-56D7243A9AA3.jpeg

1746C382-AB7C-4399-A39E-F77B3E43D400.jpeg

0C0D04EF-D213-44D4-A0DD-2D9F846F59D2.jpeg

4705DC34-9A40-4F1D-B857-922CA9A0BDE1.jpeg

33FDCC80-03D4-4F65-B3FC-A06580475318.jpeg

4A975076-9D0E-4485-BDED-F9232CAFBBE0.jpeg

3A33680E-8C15-4C5D-A29B-A48BE2D43A2C.jpeg

63D1AA59-0046-4ED6-9F77-970CE3B8C472.jpeg

3B64A537-CCEE-45AE-80FF-E619CB9BD470.jpeg

0F54B215-E95D-4B33-892F-AA9156704202.jpeg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JD in CA said:

Thanks all for the quick reply.  This is great.    Yes in my driveway photo, 1934 Roadster on the left, 1932 Roadster on the right. Both bone stock, as I am not a hot rodder.

Had I looked at the pic with your name I would have seen the car in the first photo!  I guess you don’t need help identifying them😀

Great photos! Thanks for posting.  It's always interesting to study the people and surroundings too.  I especially enjoy photos of cars at old gas stations -look at those great signs!!!

Terry

Three pictures of a model T coupe! However, they are not ALL of the same car.

The first one? Car appears nearly new. The car behind it is of similar vintage, but not enough of it to identify. The garages are quite unusual for that early, they make the picture appear post WWII. However with the other car behind it, and the way the gentleman is dressed (appears to be early '20s!), it does appear to be an earlier era photo. The car, a model T, will be a bit tough to narrow down. However the lack of oil cowl lamps, and presence of demountable tires and rims, make almost it certainly an "electric equipped" (starter and generator) model T. The starter/generator equipped Ts did not get oil cowl lamps from the factory, the belief being that the "back-up lighting" was not necessary with the more reliable battery powered lamps. The enclosed bodied (coupes and center-door sedans) cars got the electric package and demountable wheels as standard equipment early in 1919 model year (open cars runabouts and touring cars got starters and wheels as separate options a few months later in mid '19 model year).  1919 coupes still had the "bale" style door handles. This car has the "L" style door handles, so likely 1920 or newer. There was also a "T" Style door handle used for a short time about 1920. It does not appear to have (however, cannot be certain given the reflections in the windows) the latch mechanisms used to hold the window's in position, which were used in 1923 (the last year for the early style coupe). So, most likely, the car is a late '20/'21 or '22.

The second car (the dirty one) is the different car. It is earlier, most likely a 1918. Notice it does not have the oil cowl lamps either. HOWEVER, most likely they have been removed in an attempt to make the car appear more modern (a common trick in those days!). The car clearly is not modern enough to have had the "electric package" from the factory (some people did have that added by their Ford dealer shortly after the factory offered it). Look carefully at the back of the door. Notice the three door hinges, all below the belt line. Also look closely at the bottoms of the pillars between the door and rear-side windows. See the division line on the bottoms of those pillars. This is a "removable pillar coupe, called a "couplet" in advertising. This basic style was built from mid 1917 through 1918 model year. There were at least five significant variations over those two short years. The 1917 versions have a completely different roof line, so this is most likely a 1918. Also notice that the car does not have demountable rims and tires. Another solid indication it is a pre-starter model, and again, 1918.

I need to run to the store. May need to comment more on the third T later. It may or may not be the same as the first of the three Ts. A quick zoom into the photo does not appear to be a California license plate.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

Take a good look at the grill of the left car in the first picture. It's not a '34 Ford it's a '33. Two of the sweetest cars that Ford produced a 1932 and 1933 Roadsters.

• Like 1