Restoration tips requested

Hello, this is my first post here, so sorry if I've put it in the wrong spot.  I'm hoping that someone can help me to identify this vehicle - it has been sitting in my garage for about twenty-five years and I'd like to be try to move it.  I'm thinking I may need to get some new rims and tires.  Many thanks.

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by California Dreamer
changed subject line (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Welcome to the AACA Forum!

it appears to be Around a 1928 Era Dodge. New tires and tubes are rather expensive but you might try putting air in the tires and they might hold enough to roll around assuming that the brakes are not rusted to the drums. Looking at the storage the brakes should be loose as it’s pretty dry. As for getting it running and on the road, well that is a much larger project than tires...

What is the back story? Yours, a friends, or a relatives car?

Thanks for the reply, Mark!  The car belonged for many years to the father of my father's wife, who passed away in the mid 90s.  I could be wrong but I don't believe the car has moved since he died, although I do know that it definitely hasn't moved since 2007, when my father and his wife moved into the home.

I'd like to move it out of the garage to allow for a renovation I have planned, but I don't know how easy that will be.  Ideally, I'd like to ship it to one of the grandsons, but I don't know if that will be possible.  Any idea what these things are worth in the condition it is in?  Is it just scrap metal at this point or is there a market for this type of thing?

11 minutes ago, California Dreamer said:

Is it just scrap metal at this point or is there a market for this type of thing?

No, it is not scrap by a longshot.  Being a Cal climate car and even more importantly, the Dodge used mostly steel body and inner door framing and that is a huge plus when selling a 20s car, because most other Non-Ford brands were  all wood framed which scares many buyers away.

They are not worth a whole lot, as 20s common sedans have a very small market, but again, the steel framed ones are a huge plus in that small market.  I don't want to give a price guess as I am in New England and have no clue about west coast buyers, and what they use for pricing numbers.

The hood opens by lifting one side or the other, folding upwards. There should be 2 spring loaded hooks per side, look down low.  They look like the hooks you may have seen on older Jeep CJ's to hold the front of their hood down.

Appears to be complete and in good condition for a car of its age. Should be worth several thousand dollars, exactly how much I can't say without seeing the car. Try pumping up the tires to 30 pounds of pressure. You could also wash the car. A good method is to get a spray bottle of water with a drop of car wash soap in it, use it to wet the car one panel at a time, let it soak for a few minutes and wipe off with an old towel soaked in a bucket of warm water and squeezed out. This does an effective job of cleaning but does not make a mess on the floor. If you are not a mechanic familiar with older model cars it is best not to do anything else to it and don't try to get it running. It is too easy to do damage if you don't know what you are doing.

Where are the grandsons? Have you asked them if they want the car? If they are interested they should be willing to come and get it with a trailer or pay to have it moved.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thanks guys.  Two grandsons, one here in LA and another in Maine.  Neither one of them has expressed any interest in doing anything with the car, although it would be GREAT if they did, as I'd have someone to ship it to.  Any idea what it would cost to ship this from Los Angeles to Maine?  

Shippers usually charge somewhere between one and two bucks a mile for enclosed shipping.  If you care about the car, enclosed shipping is the way to go, as the fabric tops on these cars can be fragile and have been known to peel,off at highway speeds with open transit.  As to value, it’s hard to say as the mechanical condition is unknown.  It appears to be a nice original car from the pictures, but it may need a total engine rebuild or start right up after an oil pan clean, a new battery and fresh fuel.  Based on advertised cars in the Dodge Brothers Club and other ads I’ve seen (I have a 32 Dodge Brothers sedan and am a member of the club) you could expect anywhere from $2500 to $4500 for the car.  Prices seem to be slightly higher on the west coast.  Sedans are on the low end of the price scale and many folks will not spend the money to even get them running, let alone restore them.  If the car were mine, I would get it running and driving and enjoy it as a well preserved original.  Unfortunately, the car appears to be an unwanted orphan that is simply taking up space.  No disrespect, especially as you are taking the time to inquire about the car, but if you need advice on how to open the hood and are starting home renovations, you probably don’t have the time, space, skills or inclination to work on the car at this point.  Just, please don’t roll it out of the garage and place it under a tarp - nothing will destroy a car (and it’s value) faster than doing so.  PM me and we can get you an ad in The Dodge Brothers Club Magazine.  There are a lot of Dodge Brothers fans who would love to have your car.  The biggest problem is usually distance and cost of shipping.  Your car was obviously loved by your family in the past and it deserves to be preserved and cared for.

There is a Dodge/Chrysler section on this forum, a Dodge club, and a Dodge facebook group that are all active for this year Dodge.  I would suggest you post in the Dodge section of this forum and join the Dodge Groups.  There  are two suppliers of Dodge parts for this vintage and they are both very good and helpful.  From your pictures the car looks complete and should run with good tires.  The tires have tubes in them which means you can repair the tubes with a repair kit and get it moving.  The engine is very basic and will probably run with an oil change and draining any stale gas in the vacuum tank (does not have a fuel pump).  Have fun with it.  If you need help PM me.

I took a closer look at your photos and it appears the car was painted at one time.  It may be the lighting, but if the car is blue, as it looks in the photos, it has had a non-original paint job in the past.  The 600 odd miles on the odometer may indicate it was reset when the car was refreshed or restored in the past.  Discovering the past history of a car is half the fun.

Agree with Taylormade. Your best bet would be to sell as is. I wouldnt even take the time to wash. Old car restorations are done for many reasons, it doesnt appear that you or anyone in your family has any reason to do so. A car like that will most likely be upside down after a restoration. If it is as solid as it appears it would make a great - get it running mechanically and enjoy the heck out of it- automobile. Having someone in a specific club (taylormade) is a great idea to get it advertised to someone that really knows what the car is. There is also a publication called Hemmings motor news that caters to the old car world. If you want to get rid of it quickly they now offer an online auction service. Its definately not scrap metal, but all old cars arent worth their weight in gold either. Be reasonable, if you are happy with a sale to a good home then let it go.

I'm really blown away with how helpful you guys are being.  Thank you so much.  

Taylormade, you're absolutely right about the part regarding me not having the skills to take on a project like this.  I wish I knew more but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm totally lost here.  Another very kind member messaged me privately to let me know where to look up the serial number, which I just did.  It appears that it is A-958442.  Thanks for the tip about not just rolling it outside under a tarp.

The car isn't mine to sell, I was just looking for a ballpark figure so I would have the information.  It will likely sit in that garage for the next twenty-five years.  I'd love to get the tires pumped up just so I could push it into a more convenient location inside the garage, however.

If the cement floor is decent, go to harbor freight and by a set of car dollys. They work great and you can put the car up against the wall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Agree with Taylormade. Your best bet would be to sell as is.

That is good move with the grandchildren. It would be the difference between "Here is some money for you to spend" and "Here, spend money on this".

• Like 2

It looks like a 1928 to me. I have access to one and sometimes work on it. The one I know of is a Standard Six model. It has a 6 cylinder engine. Yours has a 4 cylinder.

If you want the car to be at least able to roll, could you jack and block it up and remove the 4 wheels? Take them somewhere to at least get tubes installed that will hold air? Front wheels come off pretty easy. Rear wheels will likely need special puller for the tapered axle fit.  

I think a buyer could be had fairly quickly if the car above is priced right, to move.  It's not a rare, highly valuable garage find. Surely there is someone out there who would likely give it a good home. Travel distance for a new owner is often a big hurdle. However there is a lot of people in California. Surely someone who would show interest in owning it. I'd probably ask $2500 for the car above, and if you get no bites, drop it from there.

Here's the '28 I work on. It has mechanical brakes. A real bonus for a car that has been sitting for a decade. No rusting brake system!

Right Dodge (1).jpg

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is not like a car is something that is easy to store. If your grandchildren are not into it it will end up being scrap. Sitting outside in the California sun or rotting away in the cold damp Maine climate will destroy a car like that in no time. I would expect that shipping would be in the $1.00 to 1.25 a mile range, pretty costly to go to Maine.

I know it's family, but honestly after twenty five years of storage the car should be yours. For all intents and purposes, the owner(s) have abandoned the car. If you had charged the going rate for storage, the storage bill would have long ago exceeded the value of the car. If the car was in my garage and I didn't want it, I would contact the owners and get them to commit to a course of action. If none was forthcoming, I would explain to them that I intended to put it up for sale. It would be your call as to what you wanted to do with the proceeds. IMO they gave up their rights to the car, by not committing to a course of action decades ago.

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the response!  Yes, it appears to be a 19 inch tire.  How hard is it to remove the wood spoke?  Would it be easier to take the tire and rim to a shop, get it repaired, and then put it back on the wood spoke without ever removing the wood spoke?

Edited by California Dreamer (see edit history)

Yes, don't remove the wood spokes. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but I know my 28 Chrysler has what some call a split rim or two piece rim. In other words the one side of the rim is actually a separate ring that needs to be pried off using the correct tire tools, which is the way truck tires were on large trucks years ago (God knows how many I fixed when I was a teenage kid working in a truck stop after school and on weekends). If that's the case, you should find a shop in your area that repairs tractor trailer tires, they would know how to fix it. 

CD, as you can see, this site is a wealth of information. Everyone on this site is involved in the antique car hobby in one way or another. I'm happy to see that your making progress. One suggestion I would offer is to reach out to your local A.A.C.A. local chapter. You might be able to get some very talented manpower to help you.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, padgett said:

Looks like the tire is already loose on the rim. Probably a KENDA 68905280 Motorcycle Tube - 450/510-19(110/90-19,120/90-19) would fit. Prolly fit it by hand and just blow it up.

Thanks, I ordered the tube you suggested.  I wonder if I'd be able to purchase a new tire and rim for it as well?  Is that kind of thing extremely hard to find?

It looks like a common (In those days!) "collapsible split rim". Those really need to be done with any one of several types of "collapsible" "split rim" tools. The split rim jacks are fairly common, and not too difficult to use, but do require some instruction in order to not damage the rim or yourself! The collapsible split rims are not nearly as dangerous as the two-piece (or three or four piece?) "split" rims. The language is confusing. Two wholly different designs called by the same name. Both types are commonly called simply "split rims", even though they are quite different. I prefer to always include another word or two to be clear which type is being discussed.

Unless you intend to take this car on as a long term hobby? (Something by the way that I like to encourage people to do!) It would likely be better to find someone through a local antique car club chapter to help with fixing that tire. Assessing the tire to be suitable even as a roller, using a split rim jack, and other things should not be taken lightly.

The antique automobile hobby is wonderful! The cars are a lot of fun to drive, but do require some extra skills to handle them and their limitations properly. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in restoring a historic automobile. However, do NOT expect to EVER get back the money you put into it! Antique automobiles have an almost magical way of connecting their caretakers to history. Both history in general, and one's own personal history. That connection helps their people understand the world around them better, understand other cultures with more passion, and in so many ways appreciate the conveniences offered to us in our modern world.

2 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

Warning about those tire dollys from Harbor Freight. If the cement has the normal crack line ridges every 10 feet instead of the newer "zip lines" those dollys will get caught in the ridges and wont move. 

Thanks for the tip.  I work with other types of dollies at my day job (moving electrical transformers) so I'll be careful to watch out for that.

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Tire depends on how stock you want it to look. Corky Coker (now Kawasaki) can help or almost any  motorcycle shop.

Thank you for telling me about them.  I went on their website and selected the following:

Dodge

4-128 Standard

475/500-19

Is that the correct sequence for a rear passenger tire for this vehicle?  I'm not too concerned about the look, as I'd only like to purchase one wheel for now in order to move the vehicle.

So I need to purchase a tube, tire, and rim, correct?

Edited by California Dreamer (see edit history)

Basic 19 inch tires are common on antique cars. The 1930/'31 model A Ford (one of the most common antique automobiles) used that size, as did dozens of other less common cars. Decent used tires in that size should be fairly easy to find and get. Again, checking with the local clubs may help. Worn out tires are often kept and used as "rollers" (tires to roll the car around on while it s being restored). While a lot of different cars did use that size, they were only commonly used on new cars for a few years, basically 1928 to '31.