Edelbrock MVS2 on 1963 Riv 401 CID

MVS2 or AVS2.  Original was a 625 cm Carter AFB or Rochester 4GC.  Do a search of this forum and look for threads / posts about the problems others have run into trying to run aftermarket carbs.  

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, RivNut said:

MVS2 or AVS2.  Original was a 625 cm Carter AFB or Rochester 4GC.  Do a search of this forum and look for threads / posts about the problems others have run into trying to run aftermarket carbs.  

It really isn't difficult to make the e-clone function in a Buick.

All you have to do is remove the nailhead and transmission, and install a small block Chevy with a TH400. Now you can install the e-clone ;)

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what carburetor alternatives are there for the 401?

When I swap-out the Dynaflow, I still plan to exchange the 1963 AFB 3503SA primary shaft to one from a 1964 AFB 4331S (image) to enable use of the kickdown/switch pitch.

John B.

LeSabre64_4BBL_5.jpg

Carburetor alternatives?

There are quite a few Carter type AFB, and Rochester 4-GC four barrels, depending on the year.

There is also a Rochester 2-barrel available.

If you are looking for a new shiny carburetor that you can order from one of the online vendors, that doesn't require major butchery to work well on the Buick; I am unaware of a single one.

Jon.

IMHO, if you want a first gen with an ST-400, it's easier to start with a 64 than to retrofit a 63.

Similarly, if you have an 64 carb available, it's easier to use it than to build some Frankenstein hybrid.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, XframeFX said:

So, what carburetor alternatives are there for the 401?

When I swap-out the Dynaflow, I still plan to exchange the 1963 AFB 3503SA primary shaft to one from a 1964 AFB 4331S (image) to enable use of the kickdown/switch pitch.

John B.

LeSabre64_4BBL_5.jpg

John,

i am using an Edelbrock carb and I made a bracket and mounted a microswitch to the carb base to actuate my kick down on a 64.  You can see what I made if you search for microswitch or look at my profile and view my current posts.

I hope that helps!

Chris

I am in the process of swapping my ST400 for a GM 200-4R.  Waiting on Russ from Centerville Auto, to get me the 4l60 bellhousing and 200-4R swap/adapter plate.  In the meantime, I've semi installed my Edelbrock AVS2 carb.  I'm also using the tru-shift kit  and lock up control module from Bowler Performance Transmissions

IMG_20200711_204810[3861].jpg

Edited by psychostang (see edit history)

Tom, that image was a '64 LeSabre in a junkyard 2 years ago. I had removed the kickdown/switchpitch switch earlier. I removed the 4331S carb after I took the picture and was charged $100. It's a decent carb but too small for my 401. I only wanted it for the primary shaft. It's a 300 cu. in. 4BBL. I forgot to bring a magnet with my tools on each visit to check if the heads and intake really are aluminum. I've attached a beeter pix. The car is still up there.

Andrew, I purchased HW to swap in what you're swapping out from Russ years ago.

In my local, a '64 Electra Conv. received a 4L60 with that bellhousing and is pleased with the results. Not sure what carb setup he has. I suspect he has a 2X4 setup.

John B.

LeSabre64_4BBL_3.jpg

Tom, that '64 Lesabre might not have been original. The reason for wanting to check the castings with a magnet. Notice the X-Flow radiator, not correct for '64. The transmission was an ST-300 Variable Pitch with maybe the desired 12" torque converter?

I only encounter SBBs, NEVER any Nailheads these days. I checked on this car before last winter and someone removed the finned aluminum front drums.

Chris, I did see your post earlier. I might've chimed-in on that one.

John B.

• Thanks 1

Yes Ed , sorry i meant an AVS2....right now The car came with an Edelbrock 1411 750 CFM that's why I asked. The car went from  Chicago

597 ft altitude to Denver area with 6120 feet . Too rich for the area. Yes I can and have changed many carbs for this place but thought someone might

have had experience with a different setup....I will just adjust the carb. Thanks to all.

BTW,  Thanks Tom (telriv) for helping me understand better the workings of the Nailhead engines in the first gen Riv's.

Took it out today and ran fairly well. Still needs adjustments for altitude, but went down the road very well..