Unusual car in my neighborhood!

Gunsmoke

Yesterday I slowly came up behind one of these, a bronze colored convertible, (like this pic off internet), didn't have my camera, had to get very close to figure out the make. Tasmin's are pretty rare car, never saw one live before, not sure year of one I saw, but likely early 80's. Cool looking sports car. You see anything rare or unusual lately. Keiser31 usually posts his spotted ones. 

TASMIN.jpg

• Like 1

One of the guys in the Monmouth (NJ) College Sports Car Club worked for a dealership which sold the TVR - around 1964-ish?

British car with big Ford engine?

ZERO to 60 in 3.6 seconds ??

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

A cousin of mine out West (Phoenix area) had a TVR a few years ago, said it was a great "sportscar", wishes he still had it. DC-8dave, as for styling, borrows some of the cues from Ferrari Testarossa like Sonny? drove on Miami Vice, pretty common European styling of 1980's (Giagaro, Bertone and others). I must read up on the Tasmin power plant, sounds like they may have been a sleeper. The car I saw was mint, stunning condition.

10 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

A cousin of mine out West (Phoenix area) had a TVR a few years ago, said it was a great "sportscar", wishes he still had it. DC-8dave, as for styling, borrows some of the cues from Ferrari Testarossa like Sonny? drove on Miami Vice, pretty common European styling of 1980's (Giagaro, Bertone and others). I must read up on the Tasmin power plant, sounds like they may have been a sleeper. The car I saw was mint, stunning condition.

Cosworth Ford 2.8 litre Cologne V6.

Marty R said "ZERO to 60 in 3.6 seconds ??" Not quite Marty. Wiki lists the Tasmin 280 V-6 at 0-60 in 8 seconds. The 4cyl Tasmin 200 was 9 seconds. Still pretty quick acceleration, on a par with period cars like Merkur XR4TI, base BMW's, etc. The long "wedge nose" is classic for the era.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:18 AM, Eric Wahlberg said:

TVR

https://www.tvr.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR

Had a range of engines including an inhouse designed & made

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_S_series

Not the same as post 1

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Tasmin's were TVR's " new " design after the long running Grantura , Vixen and " M" revision of the Vixen. 

The" wedges "as TVR fans tend to call these cars are a bit of a acquired taste. I have owed a few TVR's 

over the years ; currently a 1974 2500 M, but have never strayed into these somewhat unloved cars.

TVR M series car and the Tasmin that replaced it, you be the judge.

Greg in Canada

download (2).jpg

download (1).jpg