KEY/S

Roadster90

Good Morning Folks !

I have never lost a key to an automobile before.....But nothing is more constant than change - sadly in this case :(  :)

I have lost - misplaced the extra keys to two of the Reatta (actually both sets of keys to the 90 coupe, but after a week I heard something clicking around in the washer and have found one of the sets...those keys and fob are currently in a bowl of rice to dry out).

Being that they or the ignition key has an electronic do dodday on the leg of the key how do I go about getting a replacement while keeping the "combination" or whatever the same please?

Thanks !

Edited by Roadster90 (see edit history)

Sounds like you have a passkey. This have one of 15 specific resistor values which can be measured on the key (or you can diddle the two white wires). You need the proper blank to make a duplicate A washing machine should not affect the key.. If you have no key and just the VIN you may need a Buick dealer if the code is not in your owners manual.

A good locksmith could probably duplicate from the lock cyl.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks to both of you....Barney and Padgett....

I am now only missing duplicate sets for the 91 roadster and the 90 coupe......Th simplest/easiest resolution will be the GM dealer.....Thanks again :)

Nic

I just measure with a DVM and record, resistances are pretty far apart.

Code: Ohms:     
    1     402     
    2     523     
    3     681     
    4     887     
    5     1130     
    6     1470     
    7     1870     
    8     2370     
    9     3010     
    10     3740     
    11     4750     
    12     6040     
    13     7500     
    14     9530     
    15     11800

• 2 weeks later...

Only one GM dealer near me or on this side of town - I called and fellow didn't even know the car and then when explained he told me to old.....:)   .  I am going to try another dealer.

But I knew nothing about resistance codes....I will copy/print and carry with me...

Thanks all....

and Mr. Padgett :)

Do you have a DVM ? Sounds like you have at least one key for each so first I'd measure the resistance. (need to have the right code from table above to order). Once have that might buy some blanks from e-Bay then go to a local locksmith (not a dealer) to have duplicates cut.

ps water may affect the fob but not the passkey.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Just now, Zank_Frappa said:

I got a set of spares made for my 89 at the home depot near me

That's one of the differences between the '88/89 and the '90/91 is that the later cars have a resistor in the key that the car "reads" as an anti-theft device. I jumped the wire with the correct resistor on my'vert so I can get a key cut anywhere. Doing this in effect makes my '90 Reatta a '88/89 in regards to security.

I also swapped in an earlier steering wheel [from a Riviera] so I no longer have the air bag. I'm really living on the edge...