Seeking help: 1966-71 Buick Police Cars

1966SevenLitre

Hello folks, I am looking for help on 1966-71 Buick cop cars from Buick enthusiasts and experts alike.  I've been researching all the full-size, big-block, high-speed cop cars from this era and of them all, Buick has been the most obscure (Mercury too).  While other GM makes haven't been easy, I've managed to identify almost all of the full-size big-block cars offered by Chevy, Pontiac and Olds.  

For Buick, so far I've found all the dealer brochures from 1966-71 which have been good reference.  Also found copies of the 1965 & 1970 Buick Facts books.  To this point I understand what models and engines were available during this time (see attached table), but I haven't found anything on police package cars or even the RPO/codes used.   

What I do know is neither the 1965 or 1970 Facts Books list anything on cop cars.  The 1970 book does show heavy duty suspension / trailer packages, plus an HD cooling option.  It also shows the 455 wasn't optional in the entry-level LeSabre, typically the car that would be offered in a police package.  Of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen, I just don't have any brochures, data sheets, etc to stand behind it.   

I did find a 1980 Buick police car brochure in a government report which shows the police package.  It appears Buick called it the "Lawman's Action Package" with a reference to the "BT1" option.  It's unclear whether Buick used that same Lawman Action Package terminology between 1966-71 or if the BT1 code existed then either. 

All searching I've done for full-size 1966-71 Buick cop cars has pretty much been fruitless  ... which is why I'm trying to find experts here who might be able to help. 

Basically looking for any insights on these cars ... as well as `66-71 police brochures ... and ideally any production numbers.  I know this stuff is hard to find.  If anyone prefers contacting by PM to discuss in person that's all good here.  I'm an honorable guy and can demonstrate that with complete respect. 

In my view these 1966-71 cop cars are quite unique in that they came out during a time when auto makers were in a race to introduce new big-blocks with huge power.  That plus these police cars were getting disc brakes, rear sway bars, radial tires and other goodies for the first time.  The fact they looked very ordinary and utilitarian only adds to their "sleeper" mystique.   What I'm finding is that the production numbers for big-block high-speed pursuit cars was pretty low, in some cases just a handful.   For instance, for one car there were only 14 built.  Together it makes for a relatively unknown group of cars that are also quite rare.  

Sincerely grateful for any help that can be offered.  Many thanks. 

1966-71 Buick Police Cars.jpg

1970 Buick Engine Options.jpg

1970 Buick 455 Engine Options.jpg

1970 Buick Trailer & HD Suspension Options.jpg

1980 Buick Lawman Action Package - 01.jpg

1980 Buick Lawman Action Package - 02.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like there's a thread in here (from about 10+ years ago!) which dealt with the Buick police cars.

In general, I suspect that, regardless of the hyperbole, the basic police package probably had many of the same items as the HD trailer package option.  Items specific to the police package cars would usually relate to specific HO alternators, the basic wiring harness connections for the lights, sirens, and such.  Deactivated rear inside door handles (probably missing the actuator rod?), and deletion of any body side moldings on the front doors.

Searching for these differences in the sales literature is a start, BUT you really need a paper parts book for Buicks.  Starting with the first-edition 1965 parts book and then subsequent first-edition parts books for each of the remainder of the model year range you are concerned with.  Back then, there was a "yellow pages" section at the front of the parts catalog, noting the "New Parts for 19__" in a section of their own in the front of the book.  In the 1985 Chevy parts book, a special section devoted to Police vehicle only, for example.

As you might have known, Chevrolet was the primary GM division related to law enforcement vehicles.  Every so often, Pontiac division would do a push on their police vehicles, as they did in 1977 or so.  I believe that Olds was a normal bid by the CHP for many years?  

ONE thing to remember with law enforcement vehicles, Chevy was the volume leader for GM, just as Ford was for Ford, and Plymouth was for Chrysler Corp.  Reason?  UNLESS there was a valid reason to purchase a higher-priced vehicle, then the tax payers were spending too much for those bigger cars.  CHP had a minimum wheelbase spec of 122", although for some freeways, they would spec a mid-size car due to the narrow lane width on some of particular freeway segments.  Which is why CP had (in the '50s and such) Buicks, Olds, Mercurys, and Dodges in the bulk of their fleet.  In other cases, Plymouth and Dodge fought for fleet business, undercutting each other when possible in order to get the bid (as chronicled in several articles on "Chrysler Squads" at www.allpar.com, by "Curtis Redgap").

Once you get past Chevrolet and Oldsmobile, you might discover some gaps in model years when Buick and Pontiac did not promote that they did genuine police cars.

I mention "genuine" police cars as some smaller departments might order in a normal car, with some HD options they need, and then "put it into service".  Such a car might have most of the trappings of a real police car LACKING ONE ITEM, a "Calibrated Speedometer".  These police-only calibrated speedometers had a special clock spring (which the indicator needle worked against and which also returned the needle to ":0"), which allowed these speedometers to be accurate + or - 1mph, rather than the usual calibration tolerance.   There might have also been a card in the glove box graphically listing the accuracy of the Calibrated Speedometer, for reference.

Best of luck!

NTX5467

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although the focus might be "the last BIG cars with BIG engines", don't forget about the "smaller cars with ENGINES THAT COULD"!  As in the upgraded Regals used by some federal agencies, in the later '80s.  As in the incognito "law enforcement Turbo Regals", built with the specific "need for speed in a normal wrapper".  WITH an ECM with an elevated top speed limit (or lack thereof) in it!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Thanks for the replies. 

Roberta, appreciate the link.  That was quick too! 

NTX5467, agree on the older thread, it may be the one I shared below.   Regarding the police car market, hear you.  For now my focus is on 1966-71 big-block full-size high-speed pursuit cars mainly because big-blocks were coming into their own and most of the high-speed pursuit cars were large sedans.  Initially I considered intermediates but aside from the fact the research was already getting extensive enough, the vast majority of state police and highway patrol agencies during that era used large cars (big cops like large cars, etc).    

Good point on the Buick parts book, it may come to that.  What I've been finding is that all manufacturers had some type of Police Car brochure, Fleet Book, spec sheet or the like which allowed agencies to understand the details of police package cars that were being offered.  Even Rambler and AMC had them.  I’m guessing Buick did too, just haven’t found anything yet. 

It's also fascinating that ll the manufacturers were players in the cop car market.  Each of Ford, Plymouth, Dodge, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Mercury and Buick had full-size cars with big-blocks over 400-CID.  AMC was the only exception.  Selling to law enforcement, particularly when a local dealer to the local police agency, was good advertising.  When Olds and Mercury won contracts with the California Highway Patrol in 1967 & 1970, respectively, it provided validation for sales to more law enforcement agencies. 

What’s also interesting is the price some of these state agencies paid varied as much as 25%.  That makes sense for a few reasons.  One is obviously the size of the order.  Two, states had different requirements among them such as air conditioning, bigger tires, mechanical gauges and so on.  Third, while the Michigan State Police and LAPD/CHP did rigorous annual testing on new models, there was no universal standard.  Fourth, some state agencies prioritized certain features like top speed or 0-60 performance more than others did, perhaps like small, dense states. 

In other cases you never know what the deal was.  For instance, in 1968, the Nevada State Police paid $2500 for each 428 Pontiac Catalina 4-dr.  Meanwhile, the state just south, Arizona, paid $1879 for each Plymouth Fury 1.  The huge difference in price begs the question, was the Catalina actually worth that much more than the Fury, a proven and popular model?  That kind of gives you an idea how obscure this market is ... and why some of this stuff will probably never be known. 

So far I have validated that all manufactures offered police cars each year between 1966-71.  I was able to accomplish this either by seeing authentic period photographs, finding manufacturer Police Car brochures for each year, and via government reports.  The only full-size police cars I don’t have pictures of are 1966 Buick, 1966-67 Mercury and 1968 AMC.  The brochures I’m missing are 1971 Olds and all years for Buick.  That’s why I’m here seeking help from the Buick experts.  

By the way, here is a thread from 2005 where 72BuickGuy posted some 1972-73 Buick Police Car literature.  Of course that was a long time ago, but it’s possible some posters copied the documents and could still be around.  https://forums.aaca.org/topic/63489-71-73-lesabre-police-cars/  I’m reaching here but don’t have much else to go on ...  

It is a fascinating topic and an obscure part of Buick history.  Same for Olds, Pontiac, Merc and AMC.  That makes it good stuff if you ask me.  :)

Edited by 1966SevenLitre (see edit history)

Back in the 1960s and '70s, probably earlier too, when a local police department put out bids for new cars, they could "aim" the bids possibly to a particular/desired brand by the way they wrote the specs.  Although by that time, most had similar-sized engines, 3-speed automatics of fine reputation, and similar tire size/axle ratio availability.  How well the local dealer was represented (parts/service) was an important factor, even if the municipality had their own service facility.

As for the bids, any local/regional dealer that wanted to bid, usually could.  In many cases, the order would be for 3-5 cars, typically.  The dealer would then contact their manufacturer "to get bid help" on the pricing.  Which is where the price variability might come in.  In some model years, particular GM divisions might put more of a "push" to get their police packages "on the road".  But such "pushes" were usually for only one model year, by observation.  

When I was in Lubbock, TX, I noticed that they had Ford, Dodge, and Plymouth police vehicles.  Each had strong dealers, there.  One year, it would be Ford, then Dodge the next year, and Plymouth the next, although Dodge and Plymouth were variable as to which would follow Ford, by observation.

I(n TX, for example, the main players were Ford and Chrysler Corp.  Sometimes, it depended upon where the cars would be used.  The Chrysler Corp cars were usually 383 or 400 4bbls, with 413s and later 440s, in specific years, only.  Fords were the 390 4bbls.

There are several police car enthusiast groups.  Most have a web presence.  Plus several police car-oriented books, as the two Chrysler Police Car books by Mr. Sannow.  Quite interesting.

In general, police car brochures were not very available.  They could be ordered by the individual dealers, but unless the dealer was seeking business, they didn't order them, by observation.  Usually not in the "order guides", either, as the dealers would rely upon their OEM reps for that information.  In some cases, the "lowest bid" didn't always get the bid.  The local body could determine what was "the best" bid, for example.  I recall one bid where it was noted in the newspaper that a Chevy bid was better than a Plymouth bid as the Chevy had an OD automatic, making it "better for longer trips", should the need arise.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Thanks for that reply.   Sounds like your enthusiasm is the same as mine!  

If it helps, I have many of Edwin Sanow's books (and two from Monty McCord), plus I've scoured the police car websites as well as Allpar and others for data and info.  Also have several government reports which provide good data/insights along with contacts in the police car collector world who've been advising on bid processes and other nuances back then.  Add to that, I've owned several police cars over the years.  :) Still, input is always a good thing and you never know what you can learn. 

Mainly right now I'm looking for 1966-71 Buick police car literature (brochures, spec sheets, etc), Buick historical info related to these cars and/or production numbers all of which I realized might be quite rare. 

If you or one else comes across this info or knows anyone like 72BuickGuy who may be able to help, I would be sincerely grateful. 

For anyone interested in 1966-71 Buick police cars, it's possible that Buick provided information about its police package cars in its "Fleet" packet.   

Here is an example of what Oldsmobile did.  You can see a Police Brochure was included in its Fleet Facts information package for dealerships.  

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1967-oldsmobile-fleet-facts-mint-440125231

If anyone has additional information or knows anyone who might, I'd truly be grateful.  I'm looking for full brochures, spec sheets and so forth which provide all models, codes, engine options and complete specs for 1966-71 Buick Police cars.   

1966 Buick Fleet Leasing Purchasing_1.jpg

1970 Buick Municipal Fleet Brochure Cover.jpg

Growing up in Flint, the City of Flint used lots of Buicks as police cars and other municipal cars.  You might try the Sloan Museum in Flint to see if they have any information from that era.

They are currently closed because of covid, but you might be able to call and see if they have any information.

https://sloanlongway.org/about-perry-archives/

• Like 1

Some manufacturers would use the  "fleet" customers' vehicle to help generate engineering data/warranty claim information to help "improve the breed", in many cases.  As they also would use the rental car fleets at major airports to place new vehicles "there" for some of the same reasons.  Get a varied-user base that would accumulate a lot of mileage/data quickly.

In the last few decades, many OEMs would claim they were going to decrease "fleet" business in order to help increase corporate profits.  Only thing is that when they decreased their rental fleet percentages, somebody else would fill that gap.  End result, decreased market penetration in the fleets AND also in (what used to be called) the "program car" used car market.

The OTHER thing is, as mentioned regarding law enforcement vehicles, that these fleets (law enforcement and rental car) relied upon their vehicles to be on the road rather than in the shop.  So that sometimes much-maligned "rent car" orientation can actually be a pretty good orientation to have.  As most of the rental car companies would order a base vehicle with some nicer options.  For example, both my (former) 2000 Impala and 2005 Impala were base models with the 3.4L Chevy V-6, BUT had the upgraded split-bench/fold-down rear seat interiors, upgraded CD radios, no OnStar, and a few other things.  I can tell you that the fabric on that upgrade split bench interior still looks NEW with minimal care . . . no splits or tears.  BTAIM

My 2005 LeSabre Limited was a Hertz rental whose first assignment was in Hawaii.  Full gut loaded, other than the standard 15" wheels/tires.  So, some of these off-program used cars can be some good deals, in the long run.

Rent cars, police cars, and some lease vehicles, HAVE to be tough to survive.  

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Police cars were a "fascination" of mine back in the '60s and such.  Most were either Fords or Plymouths.  Didn't want to mess with them, especially if the officer knew how to drive.  BUT many were 2bbl cars rathe than the Power Pack 4bbls, especially in the larger departments.  No need to have a fussy 4bbl HP engine in a car that was mainly used for city patrol use.  Most were base-level cars without any power accessories and 3-speed manual transmissions (especially back in the later '50s).  But a lot depended upon which department was buying them and such.  BTAIM  But they all had to have the HD charging system to keep the radios and lights running.

Back when TX had the Fox-body Fairmont DPS cars.  Some discovered that the Mustang GT engine also had one of the tricks that Ford used for max performance.  An alternator cut-out at WOT.  In the pursuit of some law-breakers in a rural part of the DFW region, after the chase had stretched on, one by one, the Fairmonts started to "die".  As the front cars "died", the ones behind them continued along, until they started to get :"weak".  Hearing this, a local officer stopped into a friend's shop (who did hot rod stuff) to have him disconnect that cut-out.  LOL

Back in about '87, we courtesy-delivered some Impalas for the county sheriff, tagged into a "state bid".  Normal police Impala with a 5.7L V-8.  I asked to take one for a spin.  I expected the chassis to be firm, but it was firmer than the normal F41 Caprices were.  The surprise was how SOLID it felt, compared to a normal Impala/Caprice.  Of course, back then, you had to be a certified law enforcement agency to be able to get one with a 5.7L V-8, rather than the normal 5.0L V-8.  When I got back, I looked at the window sticker and noticed "Heavy Duty Frame" on it.  I immediately went back into the parts book to verify that.  Only ONE frame listed, period.  Which was the start of understanding the term "heavy duty" and what it might really mean.  "Heavy duty" compared to what reference point?  Sometimes, you have to read-through some of the dialogue to really see what's going on.  Of course, "heavy duty vinyl seats" and "heavy duty seat construction" would probably be realistic to expect.

Starting with the '78 Chevy Nova 9C1 police cars, I tried to rind out what made them so great (after the MOTOR TREND test of such).  Turns out, many of the HD items were normal 3/4-ton pickup truck stuff.  Front brake pads from a Caddilac limousine, fan clutch from the 3/4 pickup, etc.  BUT they all worked together to make one fine-performing vehicle.  

Funny thing was when the 350 TBI Impalas came out in '92, there were several DPS cars that came in at about 15K miles needing front brake pads.  The officers liked those cars.  Apparently liked the ABS brakes, too!  The plastic/base wheel covers they came out with tended to fly off, too!  Warranty replacements were the nicer stainless steel versions.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Larry – thank you for that suggestion.  The Sloan Museum is on my radar.  My aim is to do more legwork first in order to have a better understanding of what Buick was doing.  For instance, I understand Buick’s police package for the 1964 LeSabre was called “Expressway Cruiser”.  Did they have the same LeSabre package in 1966-71?  Likewise, in 1966-69, did Buick use the 425 & 430 in LeSabre police packages when the lineup only had 340/350s?  Hoping to find out more stuff like this, though I may to ask the Sloan Museum instead. 

NTX5467 – as always, thank you for your input.  I know you’re a long-time poster and true car guy, plus it sounds like you share a similar appreciation of cop cars.  Like you, my understanding from fellow enthusiasts in the police car world is indeed big-block high-speed pursuit cars weren’t always common among the agencies.  On one hand, State police/highway patrol typically had them which makes sense given how their jurisdiction covers interstates and major highways.  Counties and townships were hit & miss.  But for cities, there were only a limited number, if any at all.  Instead, just as you said, they are mainly patrolling city blocks and condensed areas.  They just didn't need high-powered cars.  That and the gas was expensive.  Instead they’d run small blocks or even 6-cylinders. 

To give an idea on the number of full-size big-block high-speed pursuit cars there were ... in 1967 Ford built about 15.5K police cars of all sizes and shapes (Customs, wagons, Fairlanes, Falcons, etc).  Of those, only 2,628 were 428-4V high-speed pursuit cars (17%).  Edwin Sanow states that Ford was the leading cop car manufacturer until 1968 when Plymouth took over, and I’ve read government reports which have made me conclude the entire police car market in 1967 was somewhere around 55,000 units.  If true, it means about 5% of all police car sales from the #1 cop car maker were full-size big-block high-speed pursuit cars.   

So the evidence certainly supports your assertion there wasn’t a vast need for 4bbl high-horsepower police cars. 

Agree with you on how manufacturers were pretty astute when it came to packaging heavy-duty components for these cars.  Aside from their own lab work, research, track testing and experience from racing, they also received feedback from IACP, MSP, CHP, LAPD and other law enforcement entities which provided input for continued improvements.  There was at least one point where a specific police car design was discussed for a law enforecement only, though it wasn’t feasible for manufacturers.   

As with most things, to your point, engineers don’t always think of everything ... and the end result is there can be weak points in their designs which lead to problems.  There’s nothing worse for law enforcement agencies and manufacturers alike when cars are in the shop.  That’s where proven platforms help, like the full-size cars in the early `60s.  They were bred from decades of engineering and many were track tested and proven in extreme conditions.  Another example is the Crown Vic.  The Panther platform was fairly stout on its own and Ford continued improving it.  Especially in 2003 when they switched to rack & pinion steering and Watts-link rear suspension. 

In Buick's case, no doubt it could draw from a proven platform in the mid-60s LeSabre.  By then, the Riviera had  already offered a 2x4bbl 425 and clearly Buick had thrown its hat in the power game.  Overall, seems like many of the pieces were in place.  But it's still unclear (to me) what their police packages actually entailed.   Conversely, the 1966 Ford full-size police cars, regardless of engine/trans, all came standard with HD/handling suspension, HD fade-resistant brakes, HD cooling, 15x6" wheels, 2-belt 42-amp alternator, HD battery, HD seats and HD rubber floor matting.  From there you simply choose your engine (428, 390-4V/2V, 289, 240-six), trans (C6, 3-speed) and any options like disc brakes, bigger-amp alternator, bumper guards, spotlights, etc.  

Buick_Police_Cars-1966-71_RT_20.07.16.png

• Like 1

I am skeptical of the possibility for the big block in the LeSabre prior to 1969.  In '65, '66, '67 and '68 they were on a shorter wheelbase than the 

big block cars.  The Wildcat would be more suitable- big block & boxed frame on all of them.

I could see them using the LeSabre convertible frame (boxed) on a sedan, but the best powerplant 

that would fit =340 or in '68 350.  

Of course in 69 the LeSabre and Wildcat were back on he same wheelbase, so that is more likely to have 430/455 power available.

Were there any "7 Litre" cop cars in 1966?    

• Like 1

Ted - thank you for your input.   Good point and makes complete sense.  I have all the `66-71 Buick dealership brochures (including Prestige), but didn't notice the difference in wheelbase.  That and I'm just not too familiar with Buicks and I'm still catching up.  It may take time to find the police brochures which should have good info.  But few may exist, especially if they were only distributed as part of the Buick Fleet Leasing & Purchaser book.   

As for 7-Litres, they were a high-end "gentleman's performance" car.  Idea was to compete with the Gran Sport Wildcats and Pontiac 2+2s which had already defined the segment.  7-Litres were a one-year only model which reverted to an "option" in 1967 before being phased out.  Along with the new 428, dual exhaust, power disc brakes, bucket seats, console and other standard features, you could make the car into whatever you wanted through RPO, LPO, DSO and dealer-added options.   Ford had it's whole Total Performance program going on so there was plenty you could do.   

For police cars, Ford had the 2-door/4-door baseline Custom and the lightly upgraded Custom 500 through 1970.  Then they added the Galaxie 500 (more standard features).  1966 was the only year Ford offered a solid-lifter version (P-code) of the 428.  Afterwards, they never put a solid-lifter FE motor in another police or standard passenger car again.     

• Like 1

Ted - sure I remember the Hulk ... Roger here, we've talked through the 7-Litre group.  

As for Buicks, finding police car info on the 1966-71 full-size models has been tough.  I have some of literature which shows options you'd find in police packages, such as HD suspension (towing package), HD cooling (ditto), larger wheels and so on.  Yet actually understand what Buick actually offered in their "police package" cars during that period is a different story.

For instance, attached is a page from the 1968 Oldsmobile Salesman SPECS book.  You can see how it shows which models which offered a police package, the packages available like B01/B07, and all the other options along with them (including codes).

As of now I haven't found anything like this on 1966-71 Buicks, though my understanding is that it does exist.  

1968 Oldsmobile Salesmen SPECS - Police.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older topic, but I was searching for information on a car I used to have and ran across this thread. Some of the replies says that they don't think the '66 Lesabre had a big block. It was a option.

My father was the manager of a Buick dealership in Portsmouth, VA in the early/mid sixties. All we ever had from the time I was born in 1962 through the mid '70's were a variety of Buicks. He special ordered a '66 Buick Lesabre with the "Police Package" for my grandfather, who was a doctor in a rural area of southeastern Virginia, back when doctors still made house calls at all hours of the day and night. It was a 4 door hardtop with the "Wildcat running gear". It had a 425ci motor with 340hp, Turbo 400 transmission and a positraction rearend with a 342 gear. The suspension was very heavy duty as were the brakes. Even the seats were heavy duty. It had a roll bar made into the top that you could feel under headliner. I've never seen or heard of another like it. It was passed down to me and became my first car when I got my license. What a fun sleeper car, HUGE amount of torque and surprised many a Mustang and Camaro.

Sorry I don't have any documentation for you to help you along on your quest, just wanted to confirm that there was at least ONE that existed in 1966!

• Like 7