Best Small D A Polisher

I bought one from Griots a few years ago. Picked up some product and info at Hershey last fall. It works great. I think mine is 6". I think a lot of the magic is in the pads and compounds and of course the know how! In my business we use a lot of battery powered tools. I think the newer polishers are available that way now. If I were to buy one today that is probably the route I would go. I have quite a few Porter Cable tools in my woodworking arsenal and they make good tools also.

I bought an Adams small unit which works excellent on all the small areas or a car with alot of curves.  I also bought a Rupes 21 mm Bigfoot Random Orbital Polisher 6 Inch LHR21ES.   It's got a bigger throw for larger surfaces.  From what I read the Rupes are suppose to be a professional machine. 

I did my 51 Dodge over with the Adams machine.  That with there swirl killer polish after wet sanding the whole car with 2000 grit then hand buffing with mothers,  makes the whole car look like a piece of glass.  Under flourescent lights you can't see a single mark anywhere. It's so nice I hate to even clean it with a california Duster.  It's dark blue base clear.

I'm about to do some painting, so this topic is very interesting to me. 

Are you using your DA polisher to perform primer sanding, color sanding or just final polishing? Or do you need two DA sanders: one to perform primer-surfacer sanding and another (which you've been talking about above) for the final finishing?

Do you have a preference for the corded polishers over the battery-powered cordless? Am I correct in assuming you'd never color-sand with the corded models?

Any advantage in using the traditional air-powered models?

Thanks in advance.

I have been afraid to take a machine to the 'cut and buff' process, I have always done that part (the final wet sand before polish) by hand. Yes its very tedious. If I used a machine it would be one with a drip line.

As far as polishing the car, If I were to buy one today I would most likely go cordless/battery operated. Its kind of a pain to keep the cord draped over your shoulder to keep it out of the way. Todays battery tools are so good that I would not hesitate getting one.

1 hour ago, rwchatham said:

Thanks guys , the Adams does look like a good candidate, it has a soft start feature which is always handy .

Be sure to get their swirl killer polish.  Use that and something like a quick detailer with it to keep it damp and you will be absolutely amazed how good it turns out.  I'll post photos of my Dodge so you can see when I go out to the garage later.