If it can be pulled, UHaul will rent it!

I had to post this picture I took  last week on my trip up north. My mother in laws health was failing and I returned up to NY. paid my respects and now I get to relax for 2 weeks.and quarantine

Anyway I was towing a Uhaul car trailer to my sons home in Charlottesville VA from Ocala Fl with a 53 Chevy he swapped me for. Nice original car and he will be the third John Mahoney to register the car which make it pretty cool. 

Anyway, this was in a rest area just south of the lakes in Santee South Carolina heading north on I 95

37291 (1).jpeg

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Those Chicago Infi-Nitties can haul a pretty good load.

U-Haul will rent me any trailer they have for my Grand Cherokee, even the tandem axles. Big ones have surge brakes which work pretty good.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, padgett said:

U-Haul will rent me any trailer they have for my Grand Cherokee,

Mr P, your vehicle is rated for around 4,500 lbs so why wouldn't they? They will not rent a car trailer for anything less then 1/2 ton rated vehicle. I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

The vehicle in the photo clearly should not be towing that trailer

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Why not?

Ben

Where do you want to start, the tongue weight/angle. Did you notice the rear tires sunk into the well. A front wheel drive vehicle with limited contact of the front wheels to the pavement, 

Most importantly it is dangerous especially on the interstate, not just for the driver and passenger of that vehicle but others on the road 

• Haha 2

If that Nissan has the VQ V6 it has plenty of power to pull that trailer.

The really bad part is the angle of the trailer and that is because someone didn't bother to setup the hitch correctly.

But if that is the 3.5L VQ it has at least 250hp with about the same or more torque and that would do the job just fine.

Brakes should be decent as long as you remember you have a trailer and extra weight to slow down.

The car in the photo appears to be a Nissian Ultima which is rated for 1,000 pounds towing.

The U-Haul 5x8 trailer in the photo  is 900 pounds EMPTY. Max load is 1,800 pounds and GVW is 2,700 pounds per the U-Haul website.

Do the Math.....

Based on the squatting rear suspension, the only question is how far overloaded is it?

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits............

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, zepher said:

If that Nissan has the VQ V6 it has plenty of power to pull that trailer.

The really bad part is the angle of the trailer and that is because someone didn't bother to setup the hitch correctly.

But if that is the 3.5L VQ it has at least 250hp with about the same or more torque and that would do the job just fine.

Brakes should be decent as long as you remember you have a trailer and extra weight to slow down.

It is never about pulling it, it all about controlling it and stopping it. Brakes and the words "should be" never in the same sentence.  As I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I had rented a Uhaul car trailer and towed it with 2500 HD Diesel  and knew it was behind me the entire trip. especially when a semi passed.  I traveled countless miles with my 26 enclosed using a sway control and never knew it was behind me.

Surge brakes are better then no brakes but I don't think the small single trailers have any brakes at all. The way that the trailer was sitting I would tend to think that the rear brakes were doing most of the work

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, John348 said:

It is never about pulling it, it all about controlling it and stopping it. Brakes and the words "should be" never in the same sentence.  As I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I had rented a Uhaul car trailer and towed it with 2500 HD Diesel  and knew it was behind me the entire trip. especially when a semi passed.  I traveled countless miles with my 26 enclosed using a sway control and never knew it was behind me.

Surge brakes are better then no brakes but I don't think the small single trailers have any brakes at all. The way that the trailer was sitting I would tend to think that the rear brakes were doing most of the work

I said 'should be' on the brakes because I happen to own a 2002 Altima and the brakes are fantastic.

I have upgraded pads and rotors but even stock the brakes are great.

The 'should be' is because I have no way of knowing how that person maintains their car.

If maintained properly the brakes are more than adequate for the task as long as you remember that you're towing something.

Even trucks have to be driven differently depending on load.

I still have my CDL and when I used it for a living you better believe I drove much differently when I was loaded compared to being unloaded.

Especially when I was maxed out on both truck and trailer.  Hauling 80,000lbs is way different than running empty.

But as I stated, that hitch is all kinds of setup wrong with the way that trailer is leaning on the tongue and the rear of the car is sagging.

• Thanks 1

So up here in Canada, we last rented a U Haul in the winter (because I wouldn’t take the car trailers out on salted roads)  and they were very particular. They checked the towing capacity of our truck, checked we had the correct set up, they did the hook up and took a photo of it.  Even if you go get top soil or gravel, the yard checks capacity and towing ability.  There must be some provincial liability law

Part of the problem is the load in the trailer may have all the heavy stuff up front instead of evenly properly distributed. That trailer does not have surge brakes on it. I would not want to be anywhere near it in a panic stop. Looking at all the crap on the dash board I doubt the driver has a clue he is unsafe and just that stuff makes him illegal. Some people have no clue. 
dave s 

13 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Part of the problem is the load in the trailer may have all the heavy stuff up front instead of evenly properly distributed. That trailer does not have surge brakes on it. I would not want to be anywhere near it in a panic stop. Looking at all the crap on the dash board I doubt the driver has a clue he is unsafe and just that stuff makes him illegal. Some people have no clue. 
dave s 

There were two women in their late 20's early 30's and a pre-school girl 

13 hours ago, John348 said:

There were two women in their late 20's early 30's and a pre-school girl 

Thanks John, I’m old and the eyes couldn’t tell if the driver was female or male or how many people were even in the car. It is still illegal to have anything on your dashboard (between the steering wheel and the windshield for the drivers line of sight) except the rear view mirror. That even means something hanging from the mirror like fuzzy dice!  You can get a ticket because of that, with the improper trailer load/towing setup an accident would be an insurance huge payoff for the people involved with this car/setup. It’s unsafe and as others have said stupid. 
dave s 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:00 AM, John348 said:

I had to post this picture I took  last week on my trip up north. My mother in laws health was failing and I returned up to NY. paid my respects and now I get to relax for 2 weeks.and quarantine

Anyway I was towing a Uhaul car trailer to my sons home in Charlottesville VA from Ocala Fl with a 53 Chevy he swapped me for. Nice original car and he will be the third John Mahoney to register the car which make it pretty cool. 

Anyway, this was in a rest area just south of the lakes in Santee South Carolina heading north on I 95

37291 (1).jpeg

That rig looks, for all the world, like a tail-wagging, front-end lifting, steering-minimized "Fish-Tail" accident just waiting to happen. Conversely, U-Haul wants to "Inspect" my 2500 Series Suburban with the 8.1L engine before renting me a trailer to move my grandson from Louisiana to Illinois to start grad school, the same one used regularly to transport our 30 ft enclosed car hauler with a Packard, Cadillac, or vintage Roadmaster Phaeton along with thousands of pounds of gear, supply, tools, spare tires, etc.

Additionally, their equipment only offers "Surge" braking and will not accept my equalizer equipment. 

The only benefit to renting their stuff is that I can haul his apartment north, and then drop off the trailer, heading home with just the Suburban. Otherwise I'd be pulling my mostly empty enclosed trailer against the wind nearly 2,000 miles round trip, dealing with tighter parking at motels, more fuel consumption issues, etc. I guess this is one time that extreme practicality, along with attendant cost factors will win.

If you happen to see us northbound toward the end of the month, wave from a social distance,

and y'all stay safe

• Thanks 1

Marty,

I had just gone through that same experience as you, where I had my 2500 Series Truck inspected before they rented me a car trailer. I guess the integrity of each UHaul vendor varies. The two girls driving that trailer most likely had no idea how on the edge they were and "trusted" the UHaul dealer that they would do the right thing and not jeopardize their lives.

I knew I was delivering a car to my son one way or the other, but like you I did not want to drag the enclosed trailer from NY to FL 1300 miles just to haul a car 800 miles on the way back, then continue back to NY from VA empty. With the extra insurance it only cast me $350 on a one way 4 day rental. I did much better on fuel consumption with the open trailer as well.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, John348 said:

Marty,

I had just gone through that same experience as you, where I had my 2500 Series Truck inspected before they rented me a car trailer. I guess the integrity of each UHaul vendor varies. The two girls driving that trailer most likely had no idea how on the edge they were and "trusted" the UHaul dealer that they would do the right thing and not jeopardize their lives.

I knew I was delivering a car to my son one way or the other, but like you I did not want to drag the enclosed trailer from NY to FL 1300 miles just to haul a car 800 miles on the way back, then continue back to NY from VA empty. With the extra insurance it only cast me $350 on a one way 4 day rental. I did much better on fuel consumption with the open trailer as well.

John, you hit the nail on the head. With my enclosed hauler, my fuel cost alone would have approximated $700.00, above and beyond wear and tear, potential tire issues, parking, etc, and leaving one of our collectibles out in the searing southern sun for a week. Using the 6 x 12 ft U-Haul, even with the $215 one-way rental, will save almost half the cost of fuel. This also makes the 900 mile drive home dramatically easier, knowing that other drivers typically do not recognize safe passing distances when they come around our trailered rigs. They seem to think that if there is enough room to park a Corolla, it is OK to pull in immediately ahead of a 2500/3500 pulling a 24, or 30 ft hauler. What they don't know could potentially be disastrous.

21 minutes ago, John348 said:

Marty,

I have found that when it comes to U-Haul locations many adhere strictly to the U-Haul guidelines and others do not.  The next time I visit my lock-n-store (which is also a U-Haul rental location) I will ask the manager about this. She is a straight shooter so the answers to my questions should be interesting.

Personally, when it comes to renting trailers from any company (U-Haul, Penske, etc) the BIGGEST problem is that the VAST majority of people renting equipment have ZERO experience towing a trailer. This makes for a very dangerous situation when sharing the roads with these newbies to trailer towing. Proper following distance, safe passing techniques, proper use of mirrors, how to recover from a trailer swaying situation, how to make wide enough turns, etc. Sadly, over the years I have seen more than my fair share of trailer towing accidents and near accidents. Many of them have one thing in common..... Yup, rental equipment.

7 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

They seem to think that if there is enough room to park a Corolla, it is OK to pull in immediately ahead of a 2500/3500 pulling a 24, or 30 ft hauler. What they don't know could potentially be disastrous.

Marty, it is funny you mentioned this. Last year when traveling to/from the Auburn AGNM, I had not one but TWO different state troopers pass me in a narrow construction zone and change lanes in front of me (crossing a solid white line) and trying their best to rip the front bumper off of my truck as they pulled in front of me. I was so dumbfounded that they pulled such a stunt that I did not even lay on my horn. Those incidents started me thinking about buying Go-Pro camera to mount on my dashboard when towing. Had either incident resulted in an accident the video would have been the only thing to prove my case since no judge would have believed me over an officer of the law. Have to wonder what would have happened had it been a newbie tower pulling rental equipment instead of me.

I think it would be better then what I seen trying to go down the highway last weekend,someone loaded a pop up camper on the rear of a car trailer and had other junk piled in front causing most of the weight to be behind the axles of the car trailer and it was swaying badly and suprised it did not flip.

1 minute ago, junkyardjeff said:

I think it would be better then what I seen trying to go down the highway last weekend,someone loaded a pop up camper on the rear of a car trailer and had other junk piled in front causing most of the weight to be behind the axles of the car trailer and it was swaying badly and suprised it did not flip.

On I-75 in Florida that seems to be a common sight between Gainesville and Tampa. Most of the time when i am stuck in a traffic jam it is due to some POS mis-loaded trailer being pulled by some POS car/tow vehicle sitting off on it's side

7 minutes ago, charlier said:

I have found that when it comes to U-Haul locations many adhere strictly to the U-Haul guidelines and others do not.  The next time I visit my lock-n-store (which is also a U-Haul rental location) I will ask the manager about this. She is a straight shooter so the answers to my questions should be interesting.

Personally, when it comes to renting trailers from any company (U-Haul, Penske, etc) the BIGGEST problem is that the VAST majority of people renting equipment have ZERO experience towing a trailer. This makes for a very dangerous situation when sharing the roads with these newbies to trailer towing. Proper following distance, safe passing techniques, proper use of mirrors, how to recover from a trailer swaying situation, how to make wide enough turns, etc. Sadly, over the years I have seen more than my fair share of trailer towing accidents and near accidents. Many of them have one thing in common..... Yup, rental equipment.

Marty, it is funny you mentioned this. Last year when traveling to/from the Auburn AGNM, I had not one but TWO different state troopers pass me in a narrow construction zone and change lanes in front of me (crossing a solid white line) and trying their best to rip the front bumper off of my truck as they pulled in front of me. I was so dumbfounded that they pulled such a stunt that I did not even lay on my horn. Those incidents started me thinking about buying Go-Pro camera to mount on my dashboard when towing. Had either incident resulted in an accident the video would have been the only thing to prove my case since no judge would have believed me over an officer of the law. Have to wonder what would have happened had it been a newbie tower pulling rental equipment instead of me.

Charlie, You're right on the mark.

Since our wreck en-route to the Bettendorf Meet August 16th, 2017, I've kept a Dash-Cam in each vehicle, and for Xmas that year I also bought Dash-Cams for our kids, their spouses, and our grandson. They were only moderately expensive, and not so with regard to their ability to witness actions of others. 

I actually played back a scenario of my rig being cut off by one Trooper to another one from the same state while sharing a table at a dinner stop. He just rolled his eyes in recognition.

• Thanks 1