Jump to content

Ignition left on consequences


PWB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a '67 Riviera and this happened to me last winter. I accidentally left the ignition switch on overnight and didn't realize it until sometime the next day. The result was a dead battery. I gave the battery a fresh charge, the car started right up and it's been running fine ever since. I don't see that it hurt anything. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PWB said:

Whats the potential/real damage for leaving the ignition switch on a '67?

 

I've heard destroyed points, coil and condensers if points are closed.

 

True?

 

With conventional ignition, it only results in a dead battery.

 

Fancy electronic ignition systems do not like to be left on for a long time. That has been known to burn the module out.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have fried points from leaving iggy on. If you are lucky and the points are not closed when you leave the iggy on , then no harm done to points or coil. Battery drains because of other loads on system when switch is in on position. With points closed , there is a constant flow of current flowing through the points and to the coil . Points are not made to handle a constant flow of current nor are coils for our cars made to have the magnetic field on the primary winding stay saturated for long periods of time. Both are for momentary on/off use. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...